Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Thunder has crashed

4K views 31 replies 26 participants last post by  Backstage 
#1 ·
What a week. First the plant closing, now this. I accidentally drove Thunder into and over a cement traffic island at the bank. Much damage...a lot torn up underneath.

He's now back at Tim Moyer Auto Body in Harleysville (PA) who did the striping.

Everyone assures me that he can be fixed.

Lesson learned: Somehow I gotta be even more careful than I already am.

#2 ·
Sue the bank!

Go talk to the manager, tell them that island is misplaced that it is a danger to the public , your in tears over your car and its his fault !!

If that don't work, have a beer , everything is fixable ;)

#5 ·
Go talk to the manager, tell them that island is misplaced that it is a danger to the public , your in tears over your car and its his fault !!
DUDE, we have eyes, we can see, we have hands, we can steer the car. Mistakes happen and it is sad but we need to take responsibility for our own actions. Crap like that is why liability insurance is so high and we can't do many of the things we like to do - someone sued because they blame everyone else for their problems and are looking for the quick buck.

#4 ·
Scary! I nearly drove over an island on my home from Winsom Wilmington! I'm somewhat familiar with traffic design, and the islands are placed using turning radii templates from the 40's. It is very easy to cut inside the turning radius of a '47 Pontiac with a Solstice....and if you're watching signals, crossing traffic, or a comely teller!

#20 ·
I went back and checked the traffic island. It is solid concrete, 7 inches high by 33 inches wide by about 15 feet (?) long, with semi-circular ends. One end now has a bite out of it. I don't know whether I completely straddled the island or just rode the right side up on it, but the chip out of the concrete is just about dead center in one of the rounded ends. Most of the damage to Thunder seems to be on the right side, though.

#10 ·
Of course it can be fixed. It's just steel aluminum plastic and glass

Everybody does some dumb things now and again Thunder. You can stop beating yourself up about it; trust me, I know exactly how you feel right now- I stuffed my 1970 Buick on my 18th birthday, 13 days after I bought it. And yup, it was fixable :thumbs:

#11 ·
Oh My.I am sorry to read the news of Thunder's being "under the weather." Banks are usually known for their hazardess parking lots. My bank has an island dead center of their parking lot and during the winter months several people drive right over it due to the fact it is very close to road you turn off of to get into the parking lot. Slicker than snot because it is on a downhill slop.

I keep asking myself, " What were they thinking?." Hope Thunder is up and running soon!

#12 ·
Thunder is GORGEOUS. I'm so sorry to hear what happened, but am glad you are ok which is important too :) He protected you, so now it's his turn to get fixed - luckily you didn't have to.

Take care, worg

#21 ·
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words and support. I appreciate it. It means a lot.

Bill

#13 ·
WHAT? You accidently drove your car into and OVER a cement island at the BANK? I did that to Amelia at 1am the morning after Mecca II. But it wasn't at the bank and don't tell the cops. :lol:

Seriously, It's a terrible thing hearing the sound of your car getting ripped up, knowing that you were the one to inflict the damage. I sincerely hope Thunder's good as new soon.

#14 ·
Atleast you did the damage yourself and didnt come out of work one day just to see that you car has been hit and no one saw anything. Bumper/Quarter Panel/Trunk and tail light just fyi. And I still dont have the money to fix it like 2 months later (about $1500). Other things are more important :-\

#17 ·
Hey!!! I live in Skippack Where about in Harleysville do you live??

#22 ·
We live in Montgomery Township, right near Montgomery Mall.

#18 ·
OMG the same thing happened to me about a week ago except it happened to me when I was exiting an underground parking garage, me car was on such a step angle that I couldn't see the island :(.

#19 ·
Shield Package, Transmission and transfer case

This GM OEM kit should do the trick: HUMMER Parts Online ;)

My old Dasher Wagon (bottom of A/C compressor pully mounted about 4" off the ground at very front of car) taught me early on to avoid curbs and parking islands! You know that scraping sound from the air dam we always have while driving a Solstice? Image if every time you heard that noise it meant time for a new A/C compressor! :leaving:

#26 ·
I did the same thing coming out of a Jack in the Box drive through. They had a strip of cement about 4 - 5 inches wide. If I didn't have my mudflap on I'm sure I would have scraped it up and banged it up more. Just have a lil dent and scratch right under the door where you can't see it.

Sucks when it happens. Just plain not paying attention because I usually watch for that same exact one while pulling out.

#28 · (Edited)
In the early spring this year, me and a buddy were driving to a gun show. Let me paint the picture here. Two cars infront of me. In order going down the road, right hand turn street, 100 feet then left hand turn street, 50 feet past that is a right hand turn into car wash parking lot.

Its drizzling out and the roads are wet. Doing about 30-35MPH. Car 1 decides to throw turn signal for left hand turn at the last minute. Car 2 slams on the brakes. Car 3(me) slams on the brakes <start counting 1.0 seconds here> start to slide, decide I'll rearend car 2. Won't make the righthand turn in time. <1.0 seconds is over. hold breath> Downshift into second and floor it with half right steering. Jump a 6 foot wide culvert on the side of the road (my guess is about 40MPH), split the uprights between a telephone pole and it guidewire, end up in the car wash parking lot with a 180. Tore one bolt hole where the front end meets the brush guard and that's it. <exhale here>

I will never get rid of this car.

#32 ·
cracko!

Don't really have much to add here except I got to watch a guy plow right over a median strip and kill his Honda... the median was painted orange, but if you travelled straight through the light like he did you'd hit it for sure.

I also noticed I dinged my front end and have a three inch crack in the plastic... so easy to do, parking, whatever.

4K is a lot for a parking lot incident... how did it happen?

Backstage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.