Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

trifecta

985 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DaveOC 
#1 ·
Where do you go for the tunes,I see in the threads there not happy with trifecta set up offered ,Im new and about to do some of the up grades you all suggested.[2007 gxp -auto} budget tune and flow thru converter.at the beginning it seemed all you had to do is give the specs and in a short time you get the computer settings and go,now people are saying long turn around times and settings not working,people you trusted before are leaving or there not interested in helping any more.Im no engineer and just need to walked thru the proper procedures . thank you for the help.

#2 ·
I decided to go with the GMPP tune because it's known good, maintained by HM and works well. Consider it. See what crate engine depot is selling the kit for now.

#3 ·
Here's my take on everything. A "Canned" tune should be fine from Trifecta. There should be absolutely 0 issues. There are no major adjustments they have to make. I believe that most people that have not been happy with Trifecta had a custom tune where they had to email data logs back for adjustments....not something a canned tune needs. As far as GMPP goes, it's expensive. Why pay a dealer $400-$600 to just program the ECM? Secondly you need new MAP sensors. Another $150-$250. If you're going to spend that much money and you know how programming works, I'd just buy HPTuners. Your other option is to find a local tuner or go through DDM or PAW here on the forums for the Trifecta tune. If you go through DDM or PAW, they have a bit more pull with this vendor then you or I do considering they sell multiple tunes from them. So.....basically your options for a tune are:

Vendors:
DDM
PAW
Wersters (if he still does them)
Local Shop - just make certain they have LNF experience

Programs:
Trifecta - email
GMPP - done through a dealership and need 3.0bar MAP sensors

Programmers:
HPTuners

A bit about the LNF. First, are you 100% certain you aren't tuned already? Look on the cold side IC piping (driver's). Look at the sensor on the pipe. Is there 1 screw holding it in or 2? If it has 1 screw, you already have 3bar MAP sensors, so you would be tuned. Not that boost means anything, but what is the max psi you see under full boost? Secondly, turn on your cruise and see if you notice any hp bump. Trifecta used to use a "hidden" tune that worked when you would turn on your cruise. It was done to bypass any warranty issues at the dealer.

If you are not tuned and you chose to use a local shop instead of a GM dealer, make 100% certain they have LNF experience in tuning. While the LNF is bulletproof if tuned correctly, it's a mere delicate rose if not. It's very easy to not know what your doing with this motor and blow it up. It's not like any other motor out there!

Now that I have a dyno tune, I would never recommend it! First it's not for the faint at heart to watch. Second, they only tune for WOT.

#4 ·
DDM seems to still sell the canned tune. I agree that it is better than the GMPP not only because it is cheaper, but because it gives you more power, but I believe some people have noted more anti-knock showing with the GMPP tune.

For details on how the tunes work, see

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/lnf-mod-primer-60166/

#5 · (Edited)
You don't mention what part of the country you are from. If you are north central Performance Auto Werks is your best bet, south east would be DDM. I'm sure there are other vendors west that work on LNF platforms, but as others have said, if you do a can tune, you should be ok. Don't know if you plan to do some or all of the work yourself, but you do want someone familiar with these cars as you can break them just by jacking them up the wrong way IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.