Trunk (?) release button - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Trunk (?) release button

Would the glove box trunk release button work if accidently pushed while driving and fumbling around in the glove box at the same time?
OZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2006, 06:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

No, you can not open the trunk when in motion.
"THE RED ROCKET"
Custom Tune

2006 Deep Solstice
"O Sol O Mio"
11/15/05 - 02/25/12
RE-TIRED
smartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Iam not sure about the button in the glove box, I have a release button on my alarm and auto start key fob that will not open the trunk unless the engine is off. A bit overkill but thats OK.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncion22
Iam not sure about the button in the glove box, I have a release button on my alarm and auto start key fob that will not open the trunk unless the engine is off. A bit overkill but thats OK.
I think the trunk release will also work if the car is in Neutral , and the parking brake is set, even with the car running, it will on my Sky....
DELIVERED 9/24/07

Tim
SkyMan 08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMan 07
I think the trunk release will also work if the car is in Neutral , and the parking brake is set, even with the car running, it will on my Sky....
The truck releases will both work as long as your moving less than 3 MPH, that's what someone on the forum said. Doesn't matter if the car is running or not. I never use the one in the glovebox since the fob is always closer.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would assume (based on another discussion about how to wire up a door-unlock button) that the fob and the button both go through the computer, so the same logic should apply to both.
AustinTashis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade
The truck releases will both work as long as your moving less than 3 MPH, that's what someone on the forum said. Doesn't matter if the car is running or not. I never use the one in the glovebox since the fob is always closer.
for some reason I doubt that is so... it would be too easy to be sitting at a stoplight and someone hit the button and when you pull out the trunk goes flying open...
I will read my owners manual and see what it says i was going on what EVERY car I have had does that had a remote trunk release... it is a safety thing you know..., I will believe my owners manual before I will just take the word of a NAMELESS SOMEONE ON THE FORUM....
DELIVERED 9/24/07

Tim
Old 07-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncion22
Is that now an option on the Solstice? I really had hoped that would be a feature on the 2007 with the automatic tranny. Would be great for cooling down/heating up the interior.
SLY_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 04:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was wrong, I checked yesterday when i went out, I started my Sky, took off the brake and put it in gear, and hit the key fob, the trunk popped open... Not good if you ask me...I think it needs to be tied into the emergency brake at least...
DELIVERED 9/24/07

Tim
Old 07-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
PAO

Send a message via Yahoo to PAO
the sol owners manual doesnt mention a safety so to speak for the key fob...for the switch on the glove box.." the remote trunk release will only work when either the ignition is turned off or in ACC, the parking brake is engaged or hte vehicle is travelling less than 2MPH"..page 2-10.
VIN #4744, Cool, Deposit 5-28-05, Delivery 12-10-05, Traded 12-18-10
VA/MD/DC Solstice Club

2006 Nationals Kansas City, KS
2007 Nationals Nashville, TN
2007 TOTD
2008 TOTD
2008 SE Regional Lexington, KY
2009 SE Regional Myrtle Beach, SC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NASSOA
Founding Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community
Other Cars: 04 Chevy Malibu Maxx, 09 Cadillac CTS, 11 Subaru Outback
PAO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAO
the sol owners manual doesnt mention a safety so to speak for the key fob...for the switch on the glove box.." the remote trunk release will only work when either the ignition is turned off or in ACC, the parking brake is engaged or hte vehicle is travelling less than 2MPH"..page 2-10.
So, let's say you're driving along, and you fumble through the glove compartment and close it, not realizing you've jammed something up against the trunk release button. Later on, you engage the emergency brake, because, I don't know, maybe there's an emergency. According to this description, I supposed the trunk would po open.

Maybe if you were using the emergency brake because the hydraulic brakes had failed, the added drag would be a good thing.

Last edited by AustinTashis; 07-11-2006 at 09:55 AM.
AustinTashis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY_GUY
Is that now an option on the Solstice? I really had hoped that would be a feature on the 2007 with the automatic tranny. Would be great for cooling down/heating up the interior.
Hay Sly Guy, the auto start, trunk release and alarm system was after market installed by a company contracted by my dealer.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just a security reminder, too....

Don't forget that the trunk is unsecure to intruders, since they can just pop the glove box, hit the button, and steal your valuables. It's especially convenient for them if you park with the top down...

Remember to use your key to lock the door on the glove box, which now secures your trunk. Guys with pry bars will not care, but this will deter most minor criminal elements.
idahobob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.