Unlock door with key = Alarm goes off? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unlock door with key = Alarm goes off?

My keyless entry has been acting up and only works sometimes. I stand there outside my car looking like an idiot pushing the button over and over again for 2 minutes until it finally decides it will work. Doubt it's the battery as I just got my sol in February. Oh well, that's another issue and I'll have to take that up with the dealer.

If I get tired of waiting for it to work, I just use the key to unlock the door. Problem is, I unlock the door, then when I open it, the alarm starts going off. This is the factory alarm, not an aftermarket. It keeps beeping the horn (like when you hit the panic button) until I start the engine.

Is this normal behavior? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance!
djlaptop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sol Driving Member

Yes, the alarm going off when you unlock with the key is normal if you armed the alarm with the key fob on locking the doors.

Even though you have had the car for less than a year it could be the battery. Does this happen with both key fobs?

12 . . . Solstice Coupe List - January 2012

Wicked 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe on order 24 October 2008 Produced 7 April 2009 Delivered 6 May 2009 VIN 1G2MT25X59Y000038 (Watched her come off the truck)

Original 2006 NA Ordered: 8 Sep 2005 Delivered to dealer 15 Dec 2005 (Watched her come off the truck) Traded 6 May 2009 #5357
GO_DRVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

There have been many discussions of the connections in a fob coming unsoldered. Have you tried the other one?
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

My other fob/key was lost by an aftermarket place that I had do an install. They went out of business before they could replace it. >

I'll have to just take it in to the dealer I suppose. Thanks for the info!
djlaptop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would bet it's the solder on the key fob. My extra one was acting funny and I noticed the solder had come loose when I was trying to change the battery.

My Stereo Install--> Ultimate AVIC D3 Install thread

Team Solo Performance

Pioneer Avic D3 - Nav System
JL Audio ZR speakers, Alpine PDX 4.150 amp
Solo Performance Street Race exhaust & High Flo Cat
JPM custom interior (Shifter, wheel, console, handles & door panels)
Painted dash and windshield surround
Custom Valentine1 flush radar display
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
DDM Works Big Brakes, Backbone, intake and intercooler
Morfious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Solder, battery, whatever. I have the same issue and need to fix it.

But what is the logic behind that alarm going off in these circumstances? So what if you used the fob to lock it? Why alarm when a key is used later to open the door? Absolutely totally *&%$ing lame!
Mods to date: Kappashere CAI, billet grille, Helo rims, built-in garage door remote, JPM leather covered tulip (trim over waterfall), interior de-silverization including body color boomerang, radio, switch bezels and door hardware, retro gauge overlay, Halo DRLs, headlight bezel blackout, SOLO dual axle back exhaust, mesh rear fascia insert
Next up: final exterior de-silverization (windshield trim)
solmio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

"Absolutely totally *&%$ing lame!"

Not lame at all, actually. Mechanical locks like the one in your door are remarkably easy to defeat (ask any locksmith or tow truck driver). When the door is unlocked with the key, the security system can't tell the difference between that and the lock being picked or someone using a "slimjim". The system is therefore programmed to set off the alarm and the starting and ignition systems remain disabled until it senses that a proper key, with the appropriate RFID chip, has been inserted into the ignition switch. It's there to help protect your car from being stolen, I wouldn't call that lame at all.
sly_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JewJenk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_one View Post

Not lame at all, actually. Mechanical locks like the one in your door are remarkably easy to defeat (ask any locksmith or tow truck driver). When the door is unlocked with the key, the security system can't tell the difference between that and the lock being picked or someone using a "slimjim". The system is therefore programmed to set off the alarm and the starting and ignition systems remain disabled until it senses that a proper key, with the appropriate RFID chip, has been inserted into the ignition switch. It's there to help protect your car from being stolen, I wouldn't call that lame at all.

Some people complain about anything.......... If it was an expensive aftermarket alarm, then it would be OK,,,,,,,,even though you have to disarm the alarm with it's remote and then use your KEY to open the door....But it not, it was included with the car, sooooooo, be happy. Just because the car did not cost $80.000 plus and it's name starts with POr,,,Lambo, Ferr,,,
Stop trying to find fault with every aspect of the car. It has it's problems, but so does the expensive cars..
Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MountainKing Send a message via MSN to MountainKing
I'm having the same issue with both my key fobs...I'll be bringing it up to the dealer when I get a moment to run there.
5 spd Automatic, A/C
Bought 12/1/07
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_one View Post

I see what you’re saying, and thanks for the input. But keep in mind we are driving convertibles. Preventing entry is impossible. It is easy to get into this car without using a slimjim or opening a door. Security for this car is a matter of preventing unauthorized individuals from starting it or removing things like head units.

But I guess my issue is with the alarm algorithm. When a “non-fob” entry has occurred, why immediately blast the alarm? On some thread I saw someone mentioned about a “chirp” that warns you that the alarm will go off unless you take action (like puting the key in the ignition). I didn’t get a chirp. Just an embarrassing racket. Maybe because I unlocked the passenger door first?

BTW, some on this site advise AGAINST locking the car. That way if some jerk sees a trinket on the front seat that he wants, hopefully he’ll just take it and leave your top intact. But locking the doors has become second nature for many of is – hard habit to break.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewJenk View Post
Some people complain about anything.......... If it was an expensive aftermarket alarm, then it would be OK,,,,,,,,even though you have to disarm the alarm with it's remote and then use your KEY to open the door....But it not, it was included with the car, sooooooo, be happy. Just because the car did not cost $80.000 plus and it's name starts with POr,,,Lambo, Ferr,,,
Stop trying to find fault with every aspect of the car. It has it's problems, but so does the expensive cars..
Whoa there big fella! Yes, my self censored exasperation was probably a little over the top and I apologize if I offended anyone. But easy with the generalizations! If you’ll look at my posts you’ll see I am not an example of “some people complain about anything.” So I don’t think I have to “stop trying to find fault with every aspect of the car”. I appreciate you sticking up for the Solstice, but believe me, in this case you were preaching to the converted. It's a great car - security system and all!
Old 11-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JewJenk
Quote:
Originally Posted by solmio View Post
Whoa there big fella! Yes, my self censored exasperation was probably a little over the top and I apologize if I offended anyone. But easy with the generalizations! If you’ll look at my posts you’ll see I am not an example of “some people complain about anything.” So I don’t think I have to “stop trying to find fault with every aspect of the car”. I appreciate you sticking up for the Solstice, but believe me, in this case you were preaching to the converted. It's a great car - security system and all!
Sorry, I did not mean to offend either.

And as far as the other post where someone said that people are leaving cars unlocked to keep the damage down. This is just what the theives want, no sound of breaking glass or car alarms going off.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

It's all good. Thanks for the reply JewJenk.

So now that I've hijacked this thread beyond all recognition (sorry djlaptop!) here's a question for the group...

Is a car with obvious styling mods more or less likely to be stolen? I'm not talking mods like sounds systems that are magnets for the bad guys. I'm talking very distinctive paint, ground effects, rims, etc.

Any data out there? Any opinions out there?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solmio View Post
I see what you’re saying, and thanks for the input. But keep in mind we are driving convertibles. Preventing entry is impossible. It is easy to get into this car without using a slimjim or opening a door. Security for this car is a matter of preventing unauthorized individuals from starting it or removing things like head units.

But I guess my issue is with the alarm algorithm. When a “non-fob” entry has occurred, why immediately blast the alarm? On some thread I saw someone mentioned about a “chirp” that warns you that the alarm will go off unless you take action (like puting the key in the ignition). I didn’t get a chirp. Just an embarrassing racket. Maybe because I unlocked the passenger door first?

BTW, some on this site advise AGAINST locking the car. That way if some jerk sees a trinket on the front seat that he wants, hopefully he’ll just take it and leave your top intact. But locking the doors has become second nature for many of is – hard habit to break.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk either. I understand your complaint. Until very recently, I was a controls engineer at GM (engine and fuel system), so I guess my first instinct was to defend the work of some of my former colleagues. The warning chirp is a good idea and likely wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

I too would counsel against simply leaving your doors unlocked. Thieves are likely to take the path of least resistance and an unlocked car is an invitation.
sly_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ok everyone hold hands and sing "give the world a coke"
flatdab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.