Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

waterpump woes

93K views 276 replies 100 participants last post by  SolCal 
#1 ·
about 3 weeks ago i noticed my coolant was low, not much but enough to set off the warning light. i replaced the fluid (about a half inch in reservoir 3 times in the last 3 weeks). i noticed a small drip mark towards the right rear of engine and brought it in...waterpump was going. repair bill was $379. my mileage was 41k. price wasnt as bad as i feared.

#40 ·
Got my Solstice back this morning. Labor (incluing coolant refill) was $150. Parts were $80 (discounted water pump and sprocket tool). So far, it's sticking at a steady 190 degrees. I haven't noticed any more coolant puddles either. This repair shop was legit and didn't have any problems.

#45 ·
Here's the latest:

My car has been sitting in my driveway for fear of causing any damage until I figured out what the whining was.

I had her towed to Fox in Laurel based on the recommendations from other forum members. (Koons in Manassas was too far, but thanks to those who suggested it!) I got a call from the service rep and asked if I can come take a look at the problem. No problem. They replace the water pump again (that's three times!) just to be sure that wasn't the problem. The whine remained. The timing cover had been removed and the technician showed and explained the problem: the tensioner piston (?) had come out so far that it made the chain too tight and caused the whining noise. He said that most likely happened because they didn't tighten the water pump sprocket tool enough, causing it to slip, creating slack in the chain. The tensioner did its job and took up the slack.

For those of you who don't know what the picture is-within the large circle is the tensioner which is responsible for taking up the slack in the timing chain. Inside the smaller circle is the piston. In the event the timing chain stretches it pushes against the orange guide to pick up the slack. If you look even closer you can see the different shades on the piston. The shinier part is how much it had to come out to take up the slack in the chain. That's a lot! Either they didn't use the tool like they claim or it wasn't bolted down tightly enough. Way up in the left hand corner is the sprocket that's attached to the water pump. And, yes, those guides are plastic, ladies and gentlemen.

He tried to reset the tensioner but was unable to. It popped right back out as soon as he turned the engine. A new one is on order and should be here Monday. :)

They were truly shocked that the dealership allowed me to drive it home in that condition.

#46 · (Edited)
WOW! Great Pic! That looks complex! Let us know how it turns out. Can't believe you have been dealing with this for so long. Good Luck!

#47 ·
Water Pump tool

I also have a leaking water pump. I managed to get a new AC Delco pump for $118.00 (dealer part was $300.00 more for exact same AC Delco part) however, I don't have the shop manual and have to wait two weeks for thew tool.

In the mean time, has anyone attempted this on their own and not at a dealer?

#48 ·
A,ll done and no whine.

I also have a leaking water pump. I managed to get a new AC Delco pump for $118.00 (dealer part was $300.00 more for exact same AC Delco part) however, I don't have the shop manual and have to wait two weeks for thew tool.

In the mean time, has anyone attempted this on their own and not at a dealer?
Just finished changing the water pump. The special tool to hold the timing chain sprocket worked a treat.

Back rumming and no whine, all it took was a couple of hours and it could have been much quicker. Unfortunately I used the section on removing and replacing the water pump from the "rebuild the engine" section of the manual.

It called for removing the three bolts that hold the water pump in place....three because one would already have been removed when they took the timing chain cover off during the rebuild. There were actually four (two from the front and two from the back). It took a while to figure out why it would not come out.

I will write a step x step procedure later. Right now I'm going out for a drive.

#50 ·
hello, i'm from Greece and my name is Anagnostis. i am new here and i recently bought a solstice GXP 06 with 27500 kilom. 1 week ago the light of low coolant water lighted. the light was correct as the water was down. i saw a leak under the engine. it is surely a water pump failure as i read about. from pontiac told me that i have to wait 25 days for the pump to come in Greece and the pump's cost is 300-350 euros. does anyone know where can i find an aftermarket waterpump to order and come earlier and cheaper? help, i'm going to be mad.....

#54 ·
Probably not an option. Here is what would be in the Warranty Booklet for a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP that was delivered in the US, where this car originated.
Touring Owner Service -- Foreign Countries
If you are touring in a foreign country and repairs are needed, take your vehicle to a GM dealer facility, preferably one which sells and services Pontiac vehicles. Once you return to the United States you should provide your dealer with a statement of circumstances, the original repair order, proof of ownership, and any paid receipt indicating the work performed and parts replaced for reimbursement consideration.

Important: Repairs made necessary by the use of improper or dirty fuels and lubricants are not covered under warranty. See your owner manual for additional information on fuel requirements when operating in foreign countries.

Warranty Service -- Foreign Countries
This warranty applies to GM vehicles registered in the United States and normally operated in the United States or Canada. If you have permanently relocated and established household residency in another country, GM may authorize the performance of repairs under the warranty authorized for vehicles generally sold by GM in that country. Contact an authorized GM dealer in your country for assistance.

Important: GM warranty coverages may be void on GM vehicles that have been imported/exported for resale.

#55 ·
gatza said:
hello, i'm from Greece and my name is Anagnostis. i am new here and i recently bought a solstice GXP 06 with 27500 kilom. 1 week ago the light of low coolant water lighted. the light was correct as the water was down. i saw a leak under the engine. it is surely a water pump failure as i read about. from pontiac told me that i have to wait 25 days for the pump to come in Greece and the pump's cost is 300-350 euros. does anyone know where can i find an aftermarket waterpump to order and come earlier and cheaper? help, i'm going to be mad.....
In the US, a dealership would have the choice of two possible water pumps through the AC-Delco line. AC-Delco supplies many parts to the repair industry and is owed by GM.

One has a US price of $245, the other $125. So there are alternatives out there. The question is what you have access to or what ddmworks can help you with.

The water pump that fits a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP with the 2.0L fits 87 US applications going as far back as 2002 models. Included in the group are 9 Saab 2.0L models from 2003 to 2007. This may indicate availability in the Europe and the surrounding countries.

Also there may be Opel dealerships in your country that could be source of parts, tools, and information.

Read this whole thread, it details important information about the repair.

Good luck.

#60 ·
Suggestions needed

Hey everyone!!! I took my 06 solstice in to replace the water pump and it has been hell ever since. When I picked it up the first time from the dealer, I had to take it back because they didn't replace the belt. The dealer fixes that and when I pick it up the next time, my car sounds like it has a turbo and is spooling with accelaeration and decelaeration. I took it back again and they tell me it's fine and that it's just the belt breaking in. I decided to reasearch on my own and printed out this thread as things I wanted it looked at. They pit a new pump on again but refused to look at thr tensioner belt or the gear because they swear they used the correct tool. Needless to say, my cR is still whistling and has spent 12 days in the shop for a damn water pump. I would love some other suggestions regarding possible solutions for this problem since the dealer obviously has no clue. Thanks!!!

#63 ·
Think waterpump went.

Water coming out waterpump (I think) like crazy. got under car but cant see where. Looks like passenger side near front. My solstice just hit 250,000 miles. I figured sooner or later something would break! Only thing done to car is clutch replacement (Not a fun job), and both front seals about 180,000 miles. Still running same spark plugs. Never been tuned up! run 100% synthetic motor oil since day 1. Too bad they don't make this car anymore.

#64 ·
Water coming out waterpump (I think) like crazy. got under car but cant see where. Looks like passenger side near front. My solstice just hit 250,000 miles. I figured sooner or later something would break! Only thing done to car is clutch replacement (Not a fun job), and both front seals about 180,000 miles. Still running same spark plugs. Never been tuned up! run 100% synthetic motor oil since day 1. Too bad they don't make this car anymore.
Wow!! 250,000 miles?!?! I believe you have a record on having the most miles on a Solstice. And I thought I was pretty high at 65,000 now.

#68 · (Edited)
Go back to my original posts on this thread regarding same.

My water pump failed and then was whining initially after the first water pump replacement only for the dealer to follow up and eventially stop the whine...it has now been 2 years and 13K miles since and still perfect. I have a detailed account posted earlier on this same thread.

#69 ·
waterpump woes continued

Here is what just happened to me. My engine coolant light came on. I took it to the dealer. They said the waterpump was leaking, so they replaced it and they heard a strange noise, so they assumed that the new water pump was faulty. They ordered another one put that in and the same noise was there. They called technical assistance and were told that on occasion when the water pump is replaced it will mess up the timing chain. So they are keeping the car a few more days to, I guess swap out the timing chain. Quite frankly I am scared to death. The good thing however is everything is covered under warranty. They gave me new Buick Lucerne to drive until my baby is fixed.

#70 ·
There is a special tool the service person has to use to install a new water pump.
For the incident you now have involving the timing chain.
I think SD covered this issue on a thread a while back.

#71 ·
I just had my waterpump replaced at 22,000. It took the dealership two pumps to get it right. Now I have a whistling sound that coincides with the engine rpm's. I am taking it back to them and see what they say it is. After reading these posts it sounds like it is probably the sprocket that is making the whistling sound. Wish me luck.

#75 · (Edited)
Go back to my original posts on this thread regarding same.

My water pump failed and then was whining initially after the first water pump replacement only for the dealer to follow up and eventially stop the whine...it has now been 2 years and 13K miles since and still perfect. I have a detailed account posted earlier on this same thread.
I took mine back within the first week. My service advisor even recognized that he never heard that sound coming from a Solstice before. They stayed with it for over a week before they were able to determine that the original pump replacement procedure that they had performed was the cause of the whine. Noise that is generated by a misalignment or improper engagement or reduction in full surface mating of drive or driven surfaces is usually a signal of eventual failure of some kind. I believe it would be most likely not an engine failure but more specific to the pump and it's drive components..but the bottom line is as long as that noise is there it is not right and eventually it will either wear itself in and become quiet again ( highly unlikely but possible) or something will fail.

I would at least make the call. I did, that was over a year ago. They fixed it right the second time..has been quiet ever since and the water pump and temps are fine.

I still have the final service repair ticket, here's what they found.

"Whinning noise from front engine area-history concern with water pump.
Noise from front of engine appears to be new water pump. Replaced pump-noise still present-remove belts -test with chassis ears to help isolate -cause still present-test with engine ears listening tool-noise at w/pump area. Remove front cover for access-no visual sign for noise. Inspect balance shaft-no failure-replaced internal pump sprocket for water pump-reassemble and retest- noise gone. Reassembled front cover. Refill cooling system and roadtested 6 miles to verify noise is gone and operation is as designed upon completion of repairs. "

They could not even see the damage to the sprocket, it was that insignificant to the eye, but the damage was there and was generating the noise. They replaced the sprocket and it was quiet again.

Again ...do yourselves a favor and go back to the beginnings of this thread and read and subject this info to your service providers. I went thru the very same thing you all are experiencing. Mine is now perfect...they should be able to look up what my GM dealership did to finally fix. If you need the work order number I can give that to you. There is no reason to keep re-inventing the wheel here...it is only mechanical and I went thu exactly what you are all experiencing..if this info is no use to you what is the use of this forum?

good luck.

#72 ·
This damn water pump!!!

Im going through the same thing with my water pump. I got the car back yesterday after not having it for a week only to have to return it within 2 hours because of the whining noise. Lets see what the dealer cooks up for this sound. Maybe a, "the car sounds normal" or "everything was installed to specs". I could deal with this cars occasional problems if the service was up to par.

#77 ·
From my experience when my original pump failed I lost coolant with no noise.
Then after the first pump replacement that was not installed "correctly" the noise was immediately prevalent.

#79 ·
Well I've just read this entire thread as my water pump appears to failed yesterday at 39,500 miles on my '06 NA.

After reading this thread I'm pretty nervous about having a shop charge me a ton of money to most likely screw up the repair. This thread has been quiet since last September. Are there any others who have replaced their own water pumps? If so, really how complicated is the process? I'm not ignorant to doing projects like this but I'm also smart enough to recognize when I should not attempt something that I could make worse from inexperience.

Are there any other tools required, such as for pulling belts, etc.? If I can do this myself I would prefer to go that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.