Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

waterpump woes

93K views 276 replies 100 participants last post by  SolCal 
#1 ·
about 3 weeks ago i noticed my coolant was low, not much but enough to set off the warning light. i replaced the fluid (about a half inch in reservoir 3 times in the last 3 weeks). i noticed a small drip mark towards the right rear of engine and brought it in...waterpump was going. repair bill was $379. my mileage was 41k. price wasnt as bad as i feared.

#80 · (Edited)
Add me to the list, mine failed at 40K- and the c0ck suckers @ Mark Christopher SHlTvrolet ratted (GMR tune) me out to GM and voided my warrentee- luckly I got it fixed at another dealer before the void was updated!

#81 ·
New Owner...old problem?

I am a new owner of both a 2008 Pontiac Solistice Black/Black and a blinding white 2008 Saturn Sky. The Solistice I bought for my daughter and the Sky for my wife. Both cars are awesome. We have had them both for about 1 month and both ran great until last week my daughter called and said that her car broke down. Long story short...towed to dealer...diagnosis: new WATER PUMP. Still under warrently, thank my lucky stars BUT....dealership called today and said the pump is in place but the car is starting hard and running rough. (Yes I trust the technican working on the car...long time pro). The dealership will call me tomorrow and let me know what they find. Any of you motor heads out there care to help me with the final diagnosis.

#82 ·
Read this entire thread. Apparently experienced and certified mechanics don't seem to know how to change a water pump on one of these cars without screwing up the timing the chain. From what I've read the best solution is to do it yourself because it sounds like no experience makes following the directions a hell of a lot easier.

#83 ·
Just got back from dealership...new water pump installed...no whine...he actually used to tool designed for it....BUT...water in #3 cylinder...head gasket blown...7 - 10 days to repair due to high volume of repairs at the shop...I will update if there are any more suprises waiting in store

#84 ·
Well I replaced my own water pump and now I have the whine....... so is there no other way but to take it to a shop to fix? I took out the air bubbles I hear about so the car doesn't over heat temps are fine 190- 200.... heater inside the car works fine and no check wngine light.... but I do have the "super charge" whine.... ugh, What a week.

#85 ·
Sorry to hear about it. This thread is the best regarding the water pump problem.

Did you use the tool that is mentioned at this thread during your replacement?

It does sound just like a supercharger whine.

Good luck.

Mine went away when they re-did it and also replaced the sprocket. All that info is here on this thread.

#86 ·
Yeah I did use the tool, yeah I read everything and it does look like I would have to go to a shop... I also started a thread about my problem and I have a video of the whine.

#87 ·
What is the thread link for the benefit of all of us please?..instead of searching.

#88 ·
#90 ·
I must be the lucky 1, mine failed at 110K.

#92 ·
Ok, add me to the list. Even though my motor was just rebuilt we didn't replace the water pump because the car only had 20,000 miles on it. So I have the water pump and was going to order the tool, but am a bit worried as people are saying the tool was used and they still ended up with the balance shaft chain tensioner too tight causing the supercharged whine.

I am curious, there are two versions of the tool out there. One is the complete full circle and the other cheaper one is the half circle. Those who used the tool and ended up with the whine, which tool do you have?

I think that it's ultra critical that nothing moves when you install the tool and you must make sure it's absolutely tight before loosening the water pump or you will create slack in the chain.

#94 ·
22,000 miles water pump failed. This seems rather soon for a part to depart. So the question is the something that will need replacment, ah like an air cleaner, socks. 6.5 hours is the shop time in the book. So is the "under Engineered" part story? Seems alot of these are failing WAY to soon, recall?:brentil:

#95 ·
Water pump

I have a 2008 GXP my water pump was replaced about 3 months ago.The warrent covered al parts and labor,THe milage was around 35,000 miles.Recently my egine light came on two weeks ago.I took it to the dealer and found the throttle body failed which by now had around 38,500 miles.Again this was coved by the warranty.SO i cant see why yours was not.

#96 ·
Mine hasn't failed yet, but I went ahead and ordered one to put away for after the warranty expires. $50 through Source One.

#97 ·
Mine failed at 27K ..I now have 44K ...still holding..

#101 · (Edited)
Yeah,

But will you install it yourself ? Will the dealer install a pre-purchased part?

That's the question. So the dealer installs your pre-purchased part and it fails right away...(whining noise that won't quit)

He can always say that the part was provided by the owner and back out of any replacement warranty ...I am assuming..food for thought.

I used to be in the service business and a labor only service would not be liable for parts warranty if part was purchased by owner.

The profit margin on the part sold by the repair shop as part of the repair usually provides the revenue for service warranty when the repair has issues..considering that most of the time ( if you are dealing with a skilled repair shop) that they are successful in repair..

I was in commercial air conditioning...if lets say owner pre-purchased a compressor and then paid me to install it. Then my warranty would be for my installation only ...solder joints, freon recharge etc that was provided by me..but if new compressor failed..TOO BAD...

Only if the repair shop provides all parts and labor will you get a parts and labor warranty from them.

If you install it yourself and it screws up..you may get a new part replacement if your lucky but no labor allowance at all.

And this water pump replacement is not even close to the old belt driven replacements of cars long past. Those were easy to work on.

#103 ·
#106 ·
I'm glad that people are talking about this so openly. Every kappa owner should pay close attention to their coolant level. Unlike many of you posting, my pump's only "mostly dead".

About half a year ago the warning light for low coolant came on. My coolant was a little low, but being low at all worried me since these are supposed to be more or less closed systems. I bought some Prestone Dex-Cool and filled it up to the line. Time passed, no problems.

A month ago, on my way home from a warranty door repair (for the third time thanks to a cheap replacement parts supplier), the low light came on again. I was lucky to have installed some Interceptor gauges imbetween instances and noticed that my coolant temp shot up to 218dF. Upon inspection, the coolant reservoir was nearly empty and pink liquid was clearly dripping from the bottom of the water pump and onto the street. Two bottled waters later from a convenience store and I was able to get home.

I had to leave town, rented a car, came back, tried to drive it short distances after letting it sit for a week and no problem occurred. No leaks, no nothin'. Eventually I brought it to a dealer and they put it through a pressure test and visual inspection. No problem occurred, therefore, no replacement. My service contact wasn't familiar with moody water pumps, but conceded it's in the realm of possibility.

I've driven it around about 1200 miles by now and still no re-occurrence. Murphy's Law dictates that it'll fail in the worst possible place and time, so looking forward to being surprised. Meanwhile, I bought a pump holder tool as future insurance once the powertrain warranty ends or if I'm in a real bind.

If anyone's seen their coolant levels dip unexpectedly and no other obvious engine problems are occurring, keep an eye on your pump or where you park for early warning signs.

-Jeff

#107 · (Edited)
I wanted to thank you guys for this information or I wouldn't have noticed the whine when I went to pick my car up today. My high temp lights were coming on even though my water temp was around 200. I would rev above 3k RPM and the light would disappear. I took it to the shop and they advised me the water pump must be going. I look it up here and found this thread and immediately called my service rep and told him. Of course, he didn't listen and as soon as I arrived to pick up my car it had the whine. At which point, he actually looked for a service bulletin for the water pump and the solstice and found one. Advising them they need to use the proper tool and the procedures spoken about in this forum. Just for extra incentive I emailed the service rep a couple of posts from this thread(Names removed). I have a 06 NA sol with 45k miles. Seems the 40k range is the sweet spot for water pump failures with this car.

I have an extended warranty so it only cost me a $100 deductible. I also went there because my fuel gauge wasn't reading properly after they changed my fuel pump(Broke about 3 months ago) and they did not the fuel level sensor in the fuel tank(I am guessing this part because they stated they needed to remove the gas tank). Which means they had to do that job all over again as well. Repair bill was $1095 after tax for both of those. Thank god for extended warranties

So thanks a ton again.

#108 ·
What kind of extended warranty did you get and who thru? I did get the 5 year 100,000 mile GM extended when I purchased my car new...But the 5 years is up this November with only 43K on the car.

#110 ·
I know i'm a little late with the thread since I haven't been on in a while. but when my waterpump went it was covered under warranty.. why did any of you pay in the first place??

#113 ·
3yr-36k warranty on the 06s. :cool:

I just now went and took my car car out for a good drive on the highway, never heard the noise at all when the car was driving and shifting through gears. Temp stayed at 194 -196. When I got home and parked it in my garage, only then could I hear what sounds like a small wining noise when the car is at idle. If I rev the engine, I can hear it while parked, but not while driving it seems. Notice temp went up to 208 when sitting at idle and parked. Should I still be worried? Or does this sound normal? I know our cars do make some noise at idle, but this noise sounds new. Now I'm more confused on what to do than ever!
I wonder if it slipping just a little (even while using the tool like OP) would cause just a little whine.

#111 ·
I just had my water pump replaced under the powertrain warranty for free, but did not make the whining noise connection until I read this thread. I hear it but my car drives fine. Should I still bring it back? Noise is not loud but I do hear it. At first I thought it was just the normal noise of the engine. Now I'm almost positive it's the sprocket and they probably did not use the "special tool" to install it.

#112 ·
I just now went and took my car car out for a good drive on the highway, never heard the noise at all when the car was driving and shifting through gears. Temp stayed at 194 -196. When I got home and parked it in my garage, only then could I hear what sounds like a small wining noise when the car is at idle. If I rev the engine, I can hear it while parked, but not while driving it seems. Notice temp went up to 208 when sitting at idle and parked. Should I still be worried? Or does this sound normal? I know our cars do make some noise at idle, but this noise sounds new. Now I'm more confused on what to do than ever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.