What did you do to your solstice today? - Page 9 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardT View Post
Looks good. All I did was check my tire pressure and clean the glass.
Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #122 (permalink)

cleaned the rims and tires & ordered new LED map light bulbs, license plate bulb, and side marker bulbs from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #123 (permalink)

Bought a set of Leather seat covers. I prefer the look of leather over the cloth that I have. Seems it "stains" every time it rains, and never looks really show worthy.

My wife prefers the cloth seats for comfort, so we've compromised. I'll just be installing the drivers side leather.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Oka View Post
Bought a set of Leather seat covers. I prefer the look of leather over the cloth that I have. Seems it "stains" every time it rains, and never looks really show worthy.

My wife prefers the cloth seats for comfort, so we've compromised. I'll just be installing the drivers side leather.
She might like the Wool Seat Cover I have. My wife didn't like them so they are in storage.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #125 (permalink)

Okay - I'm a few days behind on my Christmas lights, but I couldn't resist. No comments re: how dirty the car is! Decided to take the cue in the detailing forum regarding painting the inside of the wheels black. The factory paint was about gone and they were starting to pit and oxidize so I figured "what the heck".

Before.

And the after.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #126 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Lookin Good!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
Okay - I'm a few days behind on my Christmas lights, but I couldn't resist. No comments re: how dirty the car is! Decided to take the cue in the detailing forum regarding painting the inside of the wheels black. The factory paint was about gone and they were starting to pit and oxidize so I figured "what the heck".

Before.

And the after.

Very nice
Did you use spray paint? and spray painted rotors?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #128 (permalink)

Spokes should "pop" a bit more once I clean them and wax them.

I used Rust-Oleum "high performance" spray paint (whatever that means.) I cleaned the surfaces with lacquer thinner and sanded the oxidized surfaces, then re-cleaned with thinner before painting. I did end up with some "voids" for lack of a better term. It almost looked like solvents in the paint or some surface contamination created spots where the paint bubbled away from the surface. Picture spraying water on drops of vegetable oil - the oil drops keep the water from collecting there. A friend who runs a commercial paint shop has recommended an etching primer and states that oxidization can start very quickly after you've cleaned with an acid, etc.

Here's the masking before I sprayed.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #129 (permalink)

Oh, and the rotors were an afterthought since I'd painted them gray to get rid of the rust on them previously - saw other pics of wheels that members had done and realized that going as black as possible would help the chrome and the rotors stand out.

I chuckled because others have posted that masking the rotors is pointless - you just take the car for a drive and burn the paint off. Well, when I did the rears I'd had a few barley-pops so taking it down the road was a no-go. I tried to cycle the brakes as much as I could up and down the driveway between my workshop and the garage. Let's just say that Saturday morning's departure was a little bit interesting because, me being the dumbass that I am, set the parking brake Friday night.

Paint makes a pretty good adhesive when it's between your pads and rotors!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
Oh, and the rotors were an afterthought since I'd painted them gray to get rid of the rust on them previously - saw other pics of wheels that members had done and realized that going as black as possible would help the chrome and the rotors stand out.

I chuckled because others have posted that masking the rotors is pointless - you just take the car for a drive and burn the paint off. Well, when I did the rears I'd had a few barley-pops so taking it down the road was a no-go. I tried to cycle the brakes as much as I could up and down the driveway between my workshop and the garage. Let's just say that Saturday morning's departure was a little bit interesting because, me being the dumbass that I am, set the parking brake Friday night.

Paint makes a pretty good adhesive when it's between your pads and rotors!
Well they both look great! I want to paint over my chrome rims and will have to use the self-etching primer or the adhesion promoter (from what I've read up on) but may not because I would hate to mess up my only set of rims, but I will most likely paint behind the rim in the summer time.

As far as my rotors, when I re-painted my calipers I used trash bags to mask off the rotors and fender wells, and ended up with a little paint on each rotor that got through a small part of the caliper. It's slowly burning off but if paint can stay on good, I may paint my rotors too.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #131 (permalink)

Well the pads will make short work of anything on the faces of the rotors during normal braking - that's why I didn't bother to mask them off when I painted them.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #132 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
That looks great. I have had my wheels painted for the same reason. It is a lot easier to keep them looking good with a good coat of paint.
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do to your solstice today?-bright-side.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Wheel left front.bmp (534.2 KB, 68 views)

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #133 (permalink)

Received GXP dual exhaust valance. Plan is to transfer the GXP dual exhaust (already replaced w/Solo) onto the 2.4.
ChopTop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #134 (permalink)

Washed, clayed, and started the polishing last night. Plan is to finish polishing, waxing, and sealing the paint before Thursday because it's supposed to rain all week. Have a road trip in a few weeks so I wanted the paint all prepped for spring/summer before we take off.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #135 (permalink)

Anybody know how muchtrouble it would be to convert our 2007 Solstice into a turbo ? ive seen turbo parts advertised on the web. also I want to get a power window kit to convert standard crank windows to power... have looked into kits from different sellers but they wont fit soltisce.
hypnotist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.