Where Do Solstices Come From - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Where Do Solstices Come From

You see percentages of non-American build for various cars. I believe the Solstice was nominally around 80% American, but of course that includes Canadian content (a convenient fiction to consider them the same as American, so the true figures don't look as bad).

I was wondering about specific sources for the major parts.

The wheels came from China, and I just discovered that the leather seats came from Brazil. I expect a fair bit of electronics came from Japan. The shocks are German (thopugh who knows where they were manufactured) and the transmissions are Japanese.

Anyone know what else was outsourced?

I believe the chassis was built at the factory, but where the engine bits were manufactured I do not know. Anyone know?
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

From what I just read, there is a 2006 Buick LaCrosse in both Taiwan and Shanghai that have the 2.4L LE5 engine so it's possible something could be from there.

The 2.0L LNF engine is also found in the 2012 Fisker Karma which is in Finland.

I don't know if any parts are manufactured in these countries or not but thought this was a descent start for ya.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Daewoo made Kappas in the east (Taiwan?) so that may explain the presense of 2.4L LaCrosses there. The new Buicks here in Canada also have 2.4 LNFs and 2.0 turbos in them.

I imagine that many many parts have common international suppliers in the automotive world, as do most industries.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Oka View Post
Daewoo made Kappas in the east (Taiwan?) so that may explain the presense of 2.4L LaCrosses there. The new Buicks here in Canada also have 2.4 LNFs and 2.0 turbos in them.

I imagine that many many parts have common international suppliers in the automotive world, as do most industries.
Sorry, but the Daewoo G2X was made in Wilmington, Delaware, alongside the Solstices, Skys and Opel GTs.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Sorry, but the Daewoo G2X was made in Wilmington, Delaware, alongside the Solstices, Skys and Opel GTs.
Oh yeah - that's right. Sorry I forgot.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Daewoo is Korean out of the GM Korea division in South Korea and is a sub division of General Motors.

Why would a Korean Manufacturer want their brand made is the USA?

Last edited by AggreSol; 12-30-2012 at 07:44 PM.
AggreSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founding Member

Send a message via ICQ to 2KWK4U
Ecotec motors were built in Tonowanda, NY, Spring Hill, TN and Kaiserslautern, Germany when our cars were built. Not sure EXACTLY where LE5 or LNF were built...
'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
2KWK4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

A daddy Solstice and a Mommy sosltice...

Then a big stork...
Mods... P werks tune, P werks CAI/ turbo inlet pipe, P werks hot & cold side piping, P werks rear suspension brace, Pwerks Valve springs, Pwerks intercooler, Pwerks phonelic spacers, Pwerks Hf cat, GM 3bar map, Solo Street race exhaust, sensors, street edition headlights, DDM 6000K hids.
blackbirdracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, all Kappas were assembled at the US factory, not in Korea.

I expect that the motors were probably sourced from the US plants as well, simply to save on shipping.

I would think (but don't know) that many/most body panels would be made domestically for the same reason.

The diff is Getrag designed, but I'm not sure where they are built (I say 'are' rather than 'were' as they are shared by current models). Some of the more current Getrag transaxles used by GM are made in their (Getrag's) Italian plant, so..... And that's just the diff itself - the casing may well be sourced elsewhere
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
HUH

The frame rails and many of the body panels were hydroformed and when I retired in 2000 the only place that had hydroforming capabilities was at the Pontiac plant in Pontiac Michigan; and I know that a plant in Windsor Canada was gearing up to do hydroforming. My guess is that the Kappa frame rails were built at Pontiac. Pontiac did the Corvette frame rails, and knowing the complexity of the manufacturing of them I would guess that they made the Kappa there also. One thing for sure is they werenít manufactured at Wilmington. Wilmington probably just assembled the pieces together to make the Kappa chassis.

The hydroformed body panels could have been made either at Pontiac or Windsor.

The engine was built in Tonawanda New York. The differential was probably built in Mexico, but could have been built in Indiana.

Todayís world is different than when the Fiero was built, when almost all of the parts were manufactured at Pontiac (except for the 1988 V-6 engine).
HUH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
The engine was built in Tonawanda New York. The differential was probably built in Mexico, but could have been built in Indiana.

Todayís world is different than when the Fiero was built, when almost all of the parts were manufactured at Pontiac (except for the 1988 V-6 engine).
Were the differential guts outsourced from Getrag and stuffed into cases in the US, or did they actually manufacture the whole unit domestically?

And your comment on the 88 Fiero engine (given that I own one) has me wondering where they assembled that engine and why it wasn't at the same plant as the prior years (there were minor differences including that the 88 was internally balanced and thus had a new crank and balancer).
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Pulled out my window sticker for my 2007 GXP Automatic.
US/Canadian Parts Content: 66%
Country of Origin:
Engine: United States
Transmission: France
SolPainter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

All kappa head, tail, and fog lights were made in Korea.

Most of the engine sensors were made in Germany.

Half of the engines were German half in the US. The German blocks have a proof mark as per German law.

ECUs are made in Germany, most of the other electronic boards in Latin America or China.

--Christian
cdnite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
HUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Were the differential guts outsourced from Getrag and stuffed into cases in the US, or did they actually manufacture the whole unit domestically?

And your comment on the 88 Fiero engine (given that I own one) has me wondering where they assembled that engine and why it wasn't at the same plant as the prior years (there were minor differences including that the 88 was internally balanced and thus had a new crank and balancer).
Getrag has plants around the world that they run so itís not really outsourcing. As far as the parts shipped and assembled someplace else, all I can do is tell you what Iíve seen. Iíve been to two plants at GM that produced differentials; one was Pontiac and the other was Flint gear and axle. Both plants made the gears and assembled them into a differential housing, and shipped the differential as a complete unit. (Neither plant made the housings). For various cost and quality reasons I canít imagine doing it any other way.

The engine you have in your Fiero was made and assembled in Romulus Michigan about 50 miles from the Pontiac plant. The engine is basically the same as one that was made in Tonawanda. I remember that there were people working on a secondary force balancer on the V6, I didnít know that the Fiero had one. I was working on a secondary force balancer for the 2.5 and the Fiero was the first to get it in 1986.

The reason the engine wasnít built at Pontiac was that GM had the capacity to build the engine at Romulus and Tonawanda. The only engine Pontiac built at that time was the 2.5 liter and had the capacity to build 6,000 a day.
HUH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolPainter View Post
Pulled out my window sticker for my 2007 GXP Automatic.
US/Canadian Parts Content: 66%
Country of Origin:
Engine: United States
Transmission: France
Great info - I had thought the American content was higher. It was normal for Canadian produced parts to be in the 15% region, so the Solstice may have had less than half actually manufactured in the US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
Getrag has plants around the world that they run so itís not really outsourcing. As far as the parts shipped and assembled someplace else, all I can do is tell you what Iíve seen. Iíve been to two plants at GM that produced differentials; one was Pontiac and the other was Flint gear and axle. Both plants made the gears and assembled them into a differential housing, and shipped the differential as a complete unit. (Neither plant made the housings). For various cost and quality reasons I canít imagine doing it any other way.
Thanks for the info on the Fiero - the 88 2.8 had a normal balancer without lump on it as the engine was now internally balanced. The 2.5 had, IIRC, a neutral balance shaft, didn't it?

On the Getrags, the differential itself would be made by Getrag, the gears probably in the US or Mexico and the cases who knows where, so a combined effort.

Now everyone will have to go look at their engines and see if they are American or German! Where are the proof marks on the block?
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.