winter - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

winter

for those who have read the threads I have started recently, you may know that I currently own two 2008 Solstices. One is for sale, the GXP stays. For those of you who do not know was going on, I hope that helps to understand what is happening.

Okay, to the question: I plan on using this car, the Solstice, GXP, year-round in New York. We have had relatively mild winters for the last decade or so. For those of you in New York you know what I'm saying.

Has anybody had experience with driving any of these cars in the wintertime? In states that get cold like New York? Does the convertible top allow for the heat to stay in where one does not get cold at all? I am not big on getting cold whatsoever, don't like it, so basically what I'm asking is does it stay pretty much as warm as a hardtop? Maybe it's a dumb question, however I still would like to know the answer if anybody knows.

secondly, if there is snow, has anyone driven any of these cars in snow and the like? Do they handle reasonably well?

I do plan on having a second car soon, which will be a more roomy comfortable in essence back of vehicle, especially since my girlfriend is not thrilled with the solstice, but, that's okay, the car stays, she goes if need be. so the second car will have four-wheel drive no matter what, though I don't know what car it shall be yet. still, I would like to know if the Solstice could be used year-round it even during the winter comfortably.

Any feedback information and help genuinely much appreciated.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:22 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
We have members in Colorado who drive year around. Most have a set of wheels and tires for winter. And they stay warm. Just be aware of the issue with leaving the fan on high for extended periods.
Sting Ya likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 AM

I used to drive mine year round in Michigan. A few tips for you. Yes, it will stay warm enough if you have the upgraded top. There were 2 tops, a cheaper, less insulated top and an optional top that provided a sound deadner. I would get a more aggressive tread pattern for winter and less summer type of pattern. You could even go to a winter tire, which by the way are AWESOME in the snow. If you go winter tire, make sure to not put them on until your avg. temp is 35 degrees and take them off as soon as the weekly avg temp is about 40 degrees, otherwise they will wear quickly. If you have factory chrome wheels, get a cheap set of wheels for the winter to keep the chromies nice. Just make sure before you put the chromes in storage for the winter that you coat them with chrome polish and leave it on them....do not wipe it off till you put the chromes back on in the spring....a little trick I learned from a tire store here when my chromes were pitting every winter while in storage. The other item you might think about is a car cover. That will keep the snow and ice off of your top. If you don't go that route, make sure that you have treated your top sometime in late October, then again sometime in January and again in the beginning of April for the rainy season if the car sits outside. This will keep the "waterproofing" up on the top. My final word of advice...if you have a job like I do, keep an eye on the weather. Anymore then 3 or 4 inches of the white stuff, and you will be finding a cot at work. Anytime we had more then 3" of snow predicted, I would go to work till it started snowing, then leave for the day and work from home the rest of the day. I'm lucky too in that I have a ton of hotel points, and the hotel next door to my office is one of those that I have points for, so I could just walk over there for the night if I needed too....but my bosses have been really good about letting me leave when it starts snowing.
HotScott and Sting Ya like this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 AM

I don't drive my 'vert in the winter, but with the heater core being from the Saturn Vue it puts out TONS of heat for the little cockpit. Even without the insulated top, I don't believe you'd have a problem staying warm.

I did drive in the snow once - the day I picked it up there was 3 inches on the ground, but the blacktop was mostly bare. My driveway, however, was covered and has 2 fairly steep hills. No problem whatsoever getting up them.

The issue Rob mentioned is that leaving the blower on high can overheat one of the terminals under the BCM in the passenger's side floorboard. Mine melted enough to cause it to malfunction. Others have had it catch fire back in the early model years.
rob the elder likes this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Because of traction control, stability control, and anti-lock breaks a GXP does well in rain and light snow. The Eagle F1 tires that came on them did well in light snow. Because the cockpit is small, they heat up quickly.

Now, the big issue. There is a dam under the radiator. You only have 2" of ground clearance. So if you get more than 2" of snow you become a snowplow. Also, the splitter is somewhat fragile. The thought of hitting a chunk of ice that would fall off of another car sent shivers down my spine.

I used to have an older Neon as my fowl weather car. As long as the prediction was for less than 2" of snow, I would drive the Solstice. More than 2", or there were chunks of ice coming off of other cars, and I was in the Neon.

2007 Solstice (hers) 2008 GXP (mine)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 AM

I'm in Maryland and drive my car top down into the low 40's (below that, top UP!). Even then it's warm enough, and with the top up it's far better than most, if not all, cars for heat. Heats quicker than most too.

Will not drive it in snow though.
HotScott likes this.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
We have members in Colorado who drive year around. Most have a set of wheels and tires for winter. And they stay warm. Just be aware of the issue with leaving the fan on high for extended periods.
that is good news, thank you, Matt asked please: what is the issue with keeping the fan on high for a long period of time?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I'm in Maryland and drive my car top down into the low 40's (below that, top UP!). Even then it's warm enough, and with the top up it's far better than most, if not all, cars for heat. Heats quicker than most too.

Will not drive it in snow though.
also good news. May I ask you please: why do you not want to drive it in snow?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Because of traction control, stability control, and anti-lock breaks a GXP does well in rain and light snow. The Eagle F1 tires that came on them did well in light snow. Because the cockpit is small, they heat up quickly.

Now, the big issue. There is a dam under the radiator. You only have 2" of ground clearance. So if you get more than 2" of snow you become a snowplow. Also, the splitter is somewhat fragile. The thought of hitting a chunk of ice that would fall off of another car sent shivers down my spine.

I used to have an older Neon as my fowl weather car. As long as the prediction was for less than 2" of snow, I would drive the Solstice. More than 2", or there were chunks of ice coming off of other cars, and I was in the Neon.
I already replied to this in another thread, I should probably stick to the weather issues in this thread, but thank you
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
I don't drive my 'vert in the winter, but with the heater core being from the Saturn Vue it puts out TONS of heat for the little cockpit. Even without the insulated top, I don't believe you'd have a problem staying warm.

I did drive in the snow once - the day I picked it up there was 3 inches on the ground, but the blacktop was mostly bare. My driveway, however, was covered and has 2 fairly steep hills. No problem whatsoever getting up them.

The issue Rob mentioned is that leaving the blower on high can overheat one of the terminals under the BCM in the passenger's side floorboard. Mine melted enough to cause it to malfunction. Others have had it catch fire back in the early model years.
this is a concern. Please forgive my ignorance. What is BCM please? is this an issue that my mechanic can pre-fix?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MischievousGuru View Post
this is a concern. Please forgive my ignorance. What is BCM please? is this an issue that my mechanic can pre-fix?
Blower control module

2007 Solstice (hers) 2008 GXP (mine)
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
I used to drive mine year round in Michigan. A few tips for you. Yes, it will stay warm enough if you have the upgraded top. There were 2 tops, a cheaper, less insulated top and an optional top that provided a sound deadner. I would get a more aggressive tread pattern for winter and less summer type of pattern. You could even go to a winter tire, which by the way are AWESOME in the snow. If you go winter tire, make sure to not put them on until your avg. temp is 35 degrees and take them off as soon as the weekly avg temp is about 40 degrees, otherwise they will wear quickly. If you have factory chrome wheels, get a cheap set of wheels for the winter to keep the chromies nice. Just make sure before you put the chromes in storage for the winter that you coat them with chrome polish and leave it on them....do not wipe it off till you put the chromes back on in the spring....a little trick I learned from a tire store here when my chromes were pitting every winter while in storage. The other item you might think about is a car cover. That will keep the snow and ice off of your top. If you don't go that route, make sure that you have treated your top sometime in late October, then again sometime in January and again in the beginning of April for the rainy season if the car sits outside. This will keep the "waterproofing" up on the top. My final word of advice...if you have a job like I do, keep an eye on the weather. Anymore then 3 or 4 inches of the white stuff, and you will be finding a cot at work. Anytime we had more then 3" of snow predicted, I would go to work till it started snowing, then leave for the day and work from home the rest of the day. I'm lucky too in that I have a ton of hotel points, and the hotel next door to my office is one of those that I have points for, so I could just walk over there for the night if I needed too....but my bosses have been really good about letting me leave when it starts snowing.
Getting a car cover is a very good idea. Did the people on this forum, or yourself, generally recommend a particular cover? Thank you
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:50 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Body Control Module. Located under the passenger foot rest and carpeting in the passenger foot well. It's the "other" fuse box in the car. I wouldn't worry about this unless there appears to be a problem.

Sting Ya likes this.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Blower control module
No, that is not correct. As DaveOC said -- BCM = Body Control Module.

(Also there's an ECM = Engine Control Module)
Sting Ya likes this.

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
also good news. May I ask you please: why do you not want to drive it in snow?
Mine is not a daily driver. I do not have snow tires, plus I don't want to risk it being hit by some moron in an SUV who thinks he/she is invincible in the snow!
HotScott and Sting Ya like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode