Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

WooHoo! Norms Recessed Grill Project!

22K views 103 replies 22 participants last post by  Northern Sol 
#1 · (Edited)
NormsFiberglass New Reccesed front Solstice grill From Kappaperformance forum.

[quote author=normsf link=topic=11499.msg189761#msg189761 date=1490151983]
Hello, OK I'm going to give this a try. I'm tired of this never coming to market and you're :censor: ing about it. If I make these and you guys don't step up then we know why! LOL. I'm going to do make these a little bit different and re-use you're current grille while I supply the frames. Seems simple to me, lets see how it goes. I will post pics as the progress continues. Thanks again Norm

[/quote]

#2 ·
All right Norm !!! You're a good man !!

:cheers:

#3 ·
NormsFiberglass New Reccesed front Solstice grill From Kappaperformance forum.

[quote author=normsf link=topic=11499.msg189761#msg189761 date=1490151983]
Hello, OK I'm going to give this a try. I'm tired of this never coming to market and you're :censor: ing about it. If I make these and you guys don't step up then we know why! LOL. I'm going to do make these a little bit different and re-use you're current grille while I supply the frames. Seems simple to me, lets see how it goes. I will post pics as the progress continues. Thanks again Norm

[/QUOTE]

This is great news!!!!!

#7 ·
Norm, you are the man, bought your products before and they were great. I love your idea but would want the center cut out so you would have one grille area with no center post. Three pictures here of where I am headed, the last two are just a photo shop of my vision for the completed project. I have been contemplating how to build a frame that would be recessed. Would be willing to discuss paying you to create the custom Frame / grille if you are interested.

[/url]imag[/IMG]

[/url]img//[/IMG]

[/url]adult photo hosting[/IMG]

[/url]pc screenshot://[/IMG]

#9 · (Edited)
Love it, retro rocks! Here is a little bigger picture from my rudimentary photo shop skills. It doesn't illustrate the recess of the grille but shows the basic shape of the grille and relocation of the Pontiac emblem. Only change to shape of grille is removal of the center post. There is some padding to remove behind the center post to create room for the recess.

[/url]free photo hosting[/IMG]

#11 ·
@Blueberry Coupe - That has been done before by @60's Sol, and looks good IMO.

Yes, I am aware of this, but it was not done with the recessed grille which is my preference.

Plus the local body shop I trust was advising that wouldn't do it without a supporting frame. The were concerned that it would flutter and crack any filler at high speed. The conversion requires heat shrinking the raised area for the emblem and filling it as the emblem intrudes into the cutout. That is why I am relocating the emblem into the grille.

#13 ·
[quote author=normsf link=topic=11499.msg189822#msg189822 date=1490463524]
Hello, just an update. Were working on getting the inside side to side the same accounting for material thickness. The outer flange will be done last. Well see how this works together.

[/quote]

#14 ·
More Norm progress pics, courtesy of kappa performance forum.

[quote author=normsf link=topic=11499.msg189844#msg189844 date=1490593997]
hello, a little rough but the shape is there. Now to sand down and prep for the mold.

[/quote]

#19 ·
There are other pics posted by Norm too over at the Kappa Performance forum on the thread mentioned earlier.

#20 · (Edited)
I copied this from the KappaPerformance forum, and I'm not sure the pics will copy here. BTW, this is the type of product that you order sooner rather than later in the event it becomes history.

NormsFiberglass New Reccesed front Solstice grill

[quote author=normsf link=topic=11499.msg190633#msg190633 date=1496803729]
Hello the Recessed grilles are now done for both the NA and GXP. The GXP has a slightly different curvature but the grilles themselves are the same except for color. Pictured is a NA bumper with our lower spoiler and added splitter which is painted in Carbon Flash as are the grille and grille frames. Price for NA or GXP grille frames are $295.00 ready to paint plus shipping. You reuse your stock Hex grille in back. Thanks again Norm 574-255-7843

[/quote]

https://www.facebook.com/Norms-Fiberglass-549012101815247/

#23 · (Edited)
I think you guys are going to like them a lot, I still like my Aftershock ones. Also, Norm answered a Facebook question asking if he thought if Racemesh grills could be trimmed to fit, and he said that he believes so.

BTW, If one of you think guys think about it would you please ask Norm if he thinks they could be plastic chromed plated?

Along w/buggin him to make matching GXP recessed driving lights/turn signal grills.:devil:

2007 GXP-R SEMA show car

#26 · (Edited)
Hello Bill, you can use any grill material you want from EBay the material on EBay does not look as nice as the factory grill nor does it have the curvature, or Race Mesh for example. I chose to reuse the stock grilles as for one you have them already so no extra cost and they look like factory when done. Yes you need to trim the outside edge off which is not hard to do as its rather soft plastic urethane. Since the forward area is larger than the rear area, you couldn't get both the frame and grille through the bumper opening. Personally I think it's a win win for all. Plus there is no drilling into your bumper required either. Thanks from Norm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CCG-UNIVERS...ash=item1e707e34ac:g:8QoAAOSw3YNXat-h&vxp=mtr

#29 · (Edited)
again, thank you

interesting that the bumpers are different but the grilles are the same; but I guess they have more 'stuff' to hide behind a GXP bumper....

anyway, mine is a silver NA that I've already changed the grilles to the black GXP grilles in order to provide some contrast to the frontend.

Bill

#30 ·
The challenge with the stock grilles is they fade over time. This is why many of us have painted them to maintain the new look.

Grilles are readily available so you can easily pick up a recycled set to modify, paint them the color of your choice and retain your factory issue grilles for posterity I that is your wish.

#33 ·
Wait what... Carbon Fiber inner fenders....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.