Lake Huron circle tour. - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Canada & Other Countries > SSOOO
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lake Huron circle tour.

HI. I'm considering a trip around Lake Huron this upcoming Summer and would appreciate some input from those of you who know the areas/roads. I was going to come across at Sarnia and follow the eastern shoreline of Lake Huron up through Bruce Peninsula, then take the ferry across to Manitoulin. From there I'd continue on highway 6 north to highway 17, then take that west to Sault Ste marie, then come back down the Michigan side.
Has anyone here driven some of that route? Are the selected roads in decent shape? Is the route flat or does it have some elevation? Is it a scenic route; and are there any spots along the route that I should stop and see while I'm passing by? Is there adequate lodging and gasoline north of Manitoulin?
I'm thinking of a 5-day trip from Detroit and back. Could probably do it in 3 days but would like to enjoy some of the local spots.
Any ideas?? Thanks!
TomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Manitoulin Island is beautiful and there should be places to stay or you could overnight in Tobermory or Espanola which is north of the island. Accomodations shouldn't be that much of a problem if reserved far enough ahead, espescially for weekends. All the roads are quite good. I would say the route is flat for the most part but very scenic.
GaryMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

It is beautiful route, the roads are in good shape. The Windsor/Detroit MGB Club do this tour every year, they also have a website if you are interested in contacting them. I live in Sarnia and may be interested in participating. I have an 06 Solstice.
BillS10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

This sounds like a very nice Michigan Kappa Club outing!
2008 Pontiac Solstice
SCCA SSB Champion Limited Edition
Purchased June 11, 2011 with 4,687 miles

Wind Restrictor installed 06-22-12
sol4two is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS10 View Post
It is beautiful route, the roads are in good shape. The Windsor/Detroit MGB Club do this tour every year, they also have a website if you are interested in contacting them. I live in Sarnia and may be interested in participating. I have an 06 Solstice.
Bill (and others),

At this time I'm VERY hesitant about making this trip an 'official' ride. I am currently not working and if I manage to find a job by summer the trip will be off, as I wouldn't have any vacation time (Holiday for you Canadians) available. Also, my preliminary plotting has me not driving more than 5 hours on any day, for various reasons.

My schedule at this time.
Day 1: Leave Detroit and drive to Port Elgin, ON., where we will visit with some good Kappa friends. (4 hrs, 188 miles)
DAy 2: Leave Port Elgin and drive to Manitowaning, which is on Manitoulin Island. Also includes ferry time. (4 1/4 hrs, 124 miles)
DAy 3: Drive from Manitowaning to Sault Ste Marie, MI. Either check out the locks this day or the next. (4 3/4 hours, 206 miles)
DAy 4: Drive from Sault Ste Marie to Black River, MI., where we have a family cabin available. Not sure how long we'd stay there yet (3 1/2 hours, 174 miles)
Final Day: Drive from Black River back to Warren, MI (4 1/4 hours, 221 miles.

Right now thinking about the first or second week of July.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you're open to a detour, perhaps consider going through Gravenhurst or Bracebridge, then up to Port Carling (lots of touristy places to shop/eat), then up between lakes Rosseau and Joseph (newly paved, primo Canadian Shield scenery), then back to Hwy 400.
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
Unfortunately, I hate things wrapped around my throat. I don't think I could stand driving for hours in the car with one of them on.
e-sarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-sarge View Post
If you're open to a detour, perhaps consider going through Gravenhurst or Bracebridge, then up to Port Carling (lots of touristy places to shop/eat), then up between lakes Rosseau and Joseph (newly paved, primo Canadian Shield scenery), then back to Hwy 400.
The 118/632 part of the route looks very inviting; looks like lots of curves.
Hmmm, I may have to rethink my route. Thanks!!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

It is a nice route, however very busy, especially the 400 and will require a major rerouting. I like the original route.
BillS10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillS10 View Post
It is a nice route, however very busy, especially the 400 and will require a major rerouting. I like the original route.
All roads are busy on Friday after noon. Otherwise, no big deal. Besides, this suggestion avoids the busiest part of the 400.
Originally Posted by dengel View Post
Unfortunately, I hate things wrapped around my throat. I don't think I could stand driving for hours in the car with one of them on.
e-sarge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.