2009 Solstice Coupe - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice Coupe Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

The big wheel turbo was yours actually lol. It's a automatic, had my eyes on Two wicked red 5spds that were gm company cars but they went for more than what I paid for this one new.

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe #1123

2013 Subaru STi (on order)
coupe_gxp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbindley View Post
Hey, Bill, what's this about V8 cars being poor values? Of course, there are a lot of old, 06 Malletts out there, that have been beaten into submission with stock five speeds, etc. (ragtops), but, I believe, only 3 or 4 coupes with the well-sorted, low mileage LS3's and proper supporting hardware.

I'm getting ready to move mine, so hope it brings a bunch (going to a charity).
Well as I'm sure you can attest to, putting an extra $20K+ into one by modifying doesn't make it worth $20K more than it was before. We've seen some smoking deals on Mallet conversions selling for half what the owners had into them. But then those who modify rarely do it with money on mind.

Surprised you are parting with your car - how come? Can't be tired of it already.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
My limited exposure to the Mallet conversions is that they are reliable but fairley conservative builds. They are not really true performance cars. They are V8s yes but they have a lot of compromizes and unless you are ready to pour more money into them they dont bring the large performance gains that can readily be achieved for the same or less dollars.

But as you say, its not about the money.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

Shadofax:

We have a set of the Solstice Version "Q9Y" wheels on my Wife's Sky and they look pretty good:

I tried to hit up Source1 for a set of the Sky Version "Q9Y" (look similar to the Solstice, but the forks V out going towards the edge of the rim) wheels just a couple months ago, but they didn't have a complete set left. That's what I get for procrastinating.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hilarious that the turbo was from my car... it was very mildly used. I think less than 1,000 miles on it.

As for my conversion, remember that mine was the live install price at the Nats and was a smoking deal (the only reason I did it). Plus, they sold every last piece that I had put on prior, which is never easy to do and that took a hunk out of the V8 cost. But, then I added the supercharger, and the hood.

And not to bash Mallett, but the only examples of V8 Sols out there that have sold have been mostly the early Malletts which were basically engines and some simple suspension tweaks. And, of course, none were coupes. As far as I know, there is mine with the blown LS3, there is the LS7 Werks did just prior to mine and I know Wade did a silver LS3 coupe. Am I missing any others? I know Mallett had some drawings, but no real cars. And Werks partnered with that company overseas on some new iteration.

Love the car, just ready for the next project. I have a hard time finding time to drive the Sol when I have kid pickup duty, etc. I have something pretty exciting in the works that will be just as fun, far more rare and seats four.
sbindley is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Last I checked, Midwest wheel and tire in troy, mi still had q9y wheels. I've had very good experiences with them.

Wade has done more than 1 conversion. There are many happy wade customers out there.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #22 (permalink)

Yes, but how many coupes has he done?
sbindley is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

I don't know.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Shadofax, search the forum for RPO code "Q9Y". These were the stock wheels on the Pontiac Solstice Street Edition, and were planned to be the standard wheels on the 2010 Heritage Edition Coupes and Convertibles.

Good luck finding a set, as they pretty much were all sold out about 2 years ago.

The Sky also had a Q9Y wheel, also a split spoke design, but different. They were the stock wheels on the various Sky Special Editions.
bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
Shadofax:

We have a set of the Solstice Version "Q9Y" wheels on my Wife's Sky and they look pretty good:

I tried to hit up Source1 for a set of the Sky Version "Q9Y" (look similar to the Solstice, but the forks V out going towards the edge of the rim) wheels just a couple months ago, but they didn't have a complete set left. That's what I get for procrastinating.
yes they do look good. They bring a little more detail to the rims.
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5679 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
yes they do look good. They bring a little more detail to the rims.
Here's a post I made on the Saturn Sky Roadster forum with pictures of the Saturn Sky version of the Q9Y wheels from the 2009 Special Editions:

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum - View Single Post - Special Edition Q9Y wheels on Ebay

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Hey, look what I just found:

Originally posted by STVZ CARZ on either this forum or SkyRoadster

1st 1K - #741
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's a post I made on the Saturn Sky Roadster forum with pictures of the Saturn Sky version of the Q9Y wheels from the 2009 Special Editions:

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum - View Single Post - Special Edition Q9Y wheels on Ebay
Quote:
Hey, look what I just found:

Originally posted by STVZ CARZ on either this forum or SkyRoadster
So from these 2 posts, if I understand correctly the Q9Y is the correct code for the SE Solstice wheels? That's what I'd be looking for since I can now see both right next to each other. Close to the same, but not, and I like the look of the solstice SE wheels on that coupe. So if I ever went after these wheels they would be those wheels on the coupe on the left....Pontiac Q9Y?

Not sure anyone answered this, these wheels are TPMS ready I assume? And the exact same 18x8 with same offset I would think? And has anyone weighed one without tire compared to stock wheel? If I ever get my hands on a set I surely will.....
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM Probeam
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Not sure anyone answered this, these wheels are TPMS ready I assume? And the exact same 18x8 with same offset I would think? And has anyone weighed one without tire compared to stock wheel? If I ever get my hands on a set I surely will.....
Both the Pontiac and Saturns used the RPO code Q9Y despite the differences between the wheels. Yes on the TPMS ready. 18 X 8, 5 x 110 bolt pattern, +55 offset, and they were about the same weight as the stock wheels.

If you want a set, try the Midwest Wheel & Tire in Troy MI reference from jeffgtx (above). I went to their web site and they are still showing the wheels as available for Pontiac Solstice.

Who knows? Maybe they still have some in stock. Showing as $225 each.

1st 1K - #741
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Both the Pontiac and Saturns used the RPO code Q9Y despite the differences between the wheels. Yes on the TPMS ready. 18 X 8, 5 x 110 bolt pattern, +55 offset, and they were about the same weight as the stock wheels.

If you want a set, try the Midwest Wheel & Tire in Troy MI reference from jeffgtx (above). I went to their web site and they are still showing the wheels as available for Pontiac Solstice.

Who knows? Maybe they still have some in stock. Showing as $225 each.
That's a good price, I was just about to ask why the Q9Y are so much cheaper....gmpartsgiant has them at $401.26 ea and my stock Qf8 are much more at $671.01ea. ? I found another site dealing in used wheels and again the want more for my Qf8's than they do the Q9y. I'll go look at midwest wheel....

Edit: I'd like to understand why the Q9y wheel is cheaper than my Qf8 before deciding on just looks. Refurbished wheels would run $896 shipped to me, no tax, assuming they had a set of 4 (from midwest wheel). Are they both 1 piece, 2 piece? Are they forged, or cast, and lastly both made in North America, or one made in China or? Just trying to figure out the price difference. Guess I'll have to send them an email to see if they know, but they are probably just going off what GM wants for the wheels.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM Probeam

Last edited by Shadofax; 11-07-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
That's a good price, I was just about to ask why the Q9Y are so much cheaper....gmpartsgiant has them at $401.26 ea and my stock Qf8 are much more at $671.01ea. ? I found another site dealing in used wheels and again the want more for my Qf8's than they do the Q9y. I'll go look at midwest wheel....

Edit: I'd like to understand why the Q9y wheel is cheaper than my Qf8 before deciding on just looks. Refurbished wheels would run $896 shipped to me, no tax, assuming they had a set of 4 (from midwest wheel). Are they both 1 piece, 2 piece? Are they forged, or cast, and lastly both made in North America, or one made in China or? Just trying to figure out the price difference. Guess I'll have to send them an email to see if they know, but they are probably just going off what GM wants for the wheels.

Cast is when they pour an alloy or aluminum mixture into a mold.
Forged is heating metal, placing on die, pounding a die with psi force to force the metal into desired shape.

The forged over cast process is suppose to be better strength vs weight, or another way of saying it is a forged wheel is stronger than a cast wheel.

If I think about it I'll check the O9Y boxes tonight, could be Mexico.
2006/#482/First 1,000/Triple Blk/2.4 Manual/BCCoilovers/JPM Shifter (classic white w/black 5spd pattern)

2009/#480/GXP of 1266 Targa Coupes/Aggressive/Silver Metallic Stripe/Auto/Optional Polished Split Spokes/GMPP/Solo Mach Shorty/Norms Front GXP Splitter/BCCoilovers/DDM Backbeam & Probeam

LowLife handle simply means likes lowered cars
LowLife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.