Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

another nice look alike for 2013, Subaru BRZ

7K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  sahein 
#1 · (Edited)
Looks nice, we have a Sub and love them, but this one is just boxer engine 2.5L(with Direct injection, wouldn't ya know), no turbo and a measely 200hp, too bad. It has nice lines....

BRZ Photos, Pics and Videos | Subaru BRZ

Edit: scroll through the exterior pics.

#4 ·
Hmmm, yea I guess they aren't wild but there's a couple nice colors. I was surprised it wasn't more though seeing as they produce a pretty fast imprezza wrx sti.

#8 ·
I didn't see that but you're right....about 2760lbs., gas tank 13.2gals.

#9 ·
Guy in my neighborhood has the Scion version in red. I love the look of the car. I loved the look of my Sol Coupe, but like the look of this car better.

Don't look for them to be with only 200 bhp for more than one, maybe two model years. They won't put everything on the table the first year.

BMW put its Z3 out with a four cylinder its first year, then came out with the 6.

Chyrsler came out with the only mildly entertaining NA Crossfire its first year, then the blown SRT6 the next year which bordered on being a muscle car.

Obviously the Sol/Sky came out NA first year, then GXP/Redline thereafter.

Lotus brought the NA Elise over for MY05, then brought the supercharged Exige in 07, and supercharged Elise in 08.

I think you'll see a FI Scion/Subaru in short order.

#10 ·
My wife and I had a Subaru BRZ Limited on order from the local Subaru dealer whom we have done business with for almost 30 years. We had their 2nd allocation. They had a little show one evening where they had a BRZ Limited on display. We went, sat in it, prodded, tested seat adjustment, looked under the hood, in the trunk, etc. This car was identical to what we had on order. With tax, title, and other expenses, this car was going to be just under $31K out the door.

In our assessment, it was just another Japanese coupe. There was nothing special in the least about this car. In fact, neither of us particularly liked the interior of the car, it looked and felt cheap. Ergonomically, the interior was a disaster, with the cup holders almost behind the seats. The dash was also quite unattractive, at least to me.

This car could be the best handling car ever, with extra power to spare, and it would still not have appealed to us, the interior wasn't nice enough to justify the price of the car. We called the next day and cancelled our order.

I also know the couple who had the first allocation. It was identical to the car we had on order. They went to look at it when it came in, had the same reaction to the car we did, and declined to go through with the purchase.

FWIW, we own a 1st 1K Solstice, and the other couple owns a Sky Redline. This would have been an additional "fun" car for both them and us.

Such is life! :dunno:

#14 ·
... the interior of the car... looked and felt cheap. Ergonomically, the interior was a disaster, with the cup holders almost behind the seats. The dash was also quite unattractive, at least to me.

This car could be the best handling car ever, with extra power to spare, and it would still not have appealed to us, the interior wasn't nice enough to justify the price of the car.
I'm in the camp that sees little resemblance between the Coupe and the Scion/Subaru...until your description. Sounds like they nailed a copy of the interior.

#16 ·
So the brakes are close in that the fronts are both roughly 11.6" vented, but the rears are 11.4 vented in the BRZ/Scion, and only 10.7 or so, solid, with the Solstice/sky. Need to at least upgrade to a vented 10.7 rear rotor as they are available. This would help with brake fade mostly.

Interesting though, not sure if this is because of a difference in suspension or what, but the BRZ uses an 18MM/14MM swaybar front/rear, substantially less than the Solstice

#17 ·
Don't think the car was designed to please those interested in interior decorations. It was made to be more of a drivers car. I am sure the interior can be customized just as the solstice's is often done.

#18 ·
Jeremy Clarkson said "This I think is the best handling car I've driven in ages". You can see this on YouTube or in Top Gears upcoming DVD/torrent download.

I think it drives great but needs a little more power. My buddy just got one and he plans to road race it. I still think it needs some refinements after driving it but with some more power and suspension upgrades, id watch out. Ad for interior, that all depends on what you get when ordering the car. Even in its basic form, for daily driving its a blast and creature comforts are pleasing.

#22 · (Edited)
I test drove the FR last year and was impressed by it's driving ability and but definitely felt it was being engineered to handle much more power (this coming from someone who's more into cruising than performance). It's rumored both turbo and vert editions are planned. No AWD Subie version planned (but that's a rumor). It's a nice entry-level, compact sports coupe due to having backseats. Plus, the engine was engineered to sit very low to primarily aid performance.

#24 ·
Nice small sedans, perhaps, but sports cars, no.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.