DIY Coupe targa soft-top? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice Coupe Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Los Angeles California a life long Minnesota boy transplanted to the Golden State 2011
DIY Coupe targa soft-top?

Would I be crazy to try design and make my own soft-top for my coupe? I know Iím not crazy to want to save the $1000-plus for the GM one.
I think I have the know-how, working in design engineering for 25 years. Seeing the GM snap together frame and stretch over vinyl top I canít help but thinkÖ Hmm? I could make that! In fact I think I could make a nicer one then the factory unit. I donít like the squarish detent where the factory unit seems to suck in near the middle. I think it looks bad, looks cheap. I know I could do it for a heck of a lot less than $1100.00. Plus I know I can have some fun in the process.
So Iím thinking of basically duplicating the plastic frame in light weight but strong wood. Designing slot and tab assembly method with a few fabricated brass or aluminum parts and thumb screws to tighten things up. Then have my custom upholstery buddy in Minneapolis make a black canvas top to stretch over the edges and pinÖ strap or velcro in place.
The frame once complete may need some center spares or even a semi-ridgid center panel that domes slightly to match the contour of the roof and prevent the suck inÖ Iím going to start to draw it up and see where it leads. Thoughts?
little_sob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds good, keep us posted.
Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catlles ext. Dejon Ic and Piping, AME w-m, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 5th injector E42, CCW Werks rims 285 front-305 rear PScup's. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.
L-N-F'n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Interesting.

Joe of JPM has made at least one cover in red to match a car.he used the factory frame and made a new cover.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'd like to see someone do what the factory should have done - arrange a fixed rib down the centre of the car and then either solid or fabric T tops that you could take off andf actually stow in the back instead of leaving them at home.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
I'd like to see someone do what the factory should have done - arrange a fixed rib down the centre of the car and then either solid or fabric T tops that you could take off andf actually stow in the back instead of leaving them at home.
Would love to see something along the way of T-tops! That would be great! And done in Fabric in the same color as the car like JPM did.
Tinted glass would be real nice also.

Little Sister to the 66 GTO Hardtop

GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom Fuse Box Cover, GM Twin Spoke Polished Aluminum Wheels, Body Colored GM Splash Guards, Clear Bra, JPM Seat Belt Loops, GM Soft Top, JPM Custom Stiched Console Cover, Sky Antenna, GM Console Storage Bag, All Weather GM Floor Mats, Brake Light Overlay, Dual Horns
Pontiac-Oakland Club International
GTO Assoc of America
KRONUS
SweetCoupe 58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Here is the top that JPM made in red.

Pontiac Solstice Coupe soft top upgrade by JPM

Does not seem like a huge challenge to come up with a split design.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Los Angeles California a life long Minnesota boy transplanted to the Golden State 2011
Sounds like a small, but special!.. market ... for a T-top design! Or maybe something else... Keep the ideas coming and I'll follow up with you all when I have a design.

Ever seen a beautiful cedar canoe? or handcrafted kayak in wood and fiberglass? Some use no nails or metal at all but only wood dowels, mortise & tenon and age-old woodworking methods to craft something not only a work of art, but functional and light weight as well. That's my intent I guess.

In spruce or redwood I could craft a frame with some center supports, like ribs of a whale... boat? You get the idea. Collapsible. Maybe a t-top type with halves? Anything is possible. Solid panels? Clear or smoky tinted black? Plastic vac-forming is a snap! Carbon-fiber even? or fiberglass? Paint-able?

For my needs I'm going to pursue a one-piece canvas top with the smallest lightest frame I can engineer. Then? Who knows..

In any case I mentioned my Buddy in Mpls. He would be the profession in this! lol ... Built his business for over 30 years now starting in his garage and working for auto auctions repairing cigarette burns etc... He now works almost exclusively on Show-cars, classics and custom cars because he can! He is an artist in Leather, vinyl and canvas!

premieruph.com I'm not sure of the rules here posting links but this is not an ad, but a close friend of mine that restores convertible tops and can make any car a show car. If you want a bit of fun check out his gallery! Or google him Brian at premier upholstery in Rogers MN. Twin Cities Area.

To the moderators here if you need to remove the link please do I get it...
Thanks folks!
SteveO
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_sob View Post
Sounds like a small, but special!.. market ... for a T-top design! Or maybe something else... Keep the ideas coming and I'll follow up with you all when I have a design.

Ever seen a beautiful cedar canoe? or handcrafted kayak in wood and fiberglass? Some use no nails or metal at all but only wood dowels, mortise & tenon and age-old woodworking methods to craft something not only a work of art, but functional and light weight as well. That's my intent I guess.

In spruce or redwood I could craft a frame with some center supports, like ribs of a whale... boat? You get the idea. Collapsible. Maybe a t-top type with halves? Anything is possible. Solid panels? Clear or smoky tinted black? Plastic vac-forming is a snap! Carbon-fiber even? or fiberglass? Paint-able?

For my needs I'm going to pursue a one-piece canvas top with the smallest lightest frame I can engineer. Then? Who knows..

In any case I mentioned my Buddy in Mpls. He would be the profession in this! lol ... Built his business for over 30 years now starting in his garage and working for auto auctions repairing cigarette burns etc... He now works almost exclusively on Show-cars, classics and custom cars because he can! He is an artist in Leather, vinyl and canvas!

premieruph.com I'm not sure of the rules here posting links but this is not an ad, but a close friend of mine that restores convertible tops and can make any car a show car. If you want a bit of fun check out his gallery! Or google him Brian at premier upholstery in Rogers MN. Twin Cities Area.

To the moderators here if you need to remove the link please do I get it...
Thanks folks!
SteveO
John and I have had this conversation before in another thread about the new lambo....that has a targa hard top that is 2 pieces, but is NOT a ttop design. They fit together as they are installed, no center rib. No more soft top to assemble like an erector set on the ground before install, no more leaving hard top at home. Basically taking a real targa from a wrecked coupe and experimenting? If someone made this work I'd sell the softop for whatever I could get, probably sell the hardtop, or better yet, how about a company that will take your hard top and make it into a stowable 2 piecer?????

Anyone have a hardtop from a wrecked coupe to part with for experimentation so a patent can be realized? If I had a hardtop I'd work on this.
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5679 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
John and I have had this conversation before in another thread about the new lambo....that has a targa hard top that is 2 pieces, but is NOT a ttop design. They fit together as they are installed, no center rib.
That is also an interesting possibility!
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
Anyone have a hardtop from a wrecked coupe to part with for experimentation so a patent can be realized? If I had a hardtop I'd work on this.
I met Chip Wright in Asheville and he has a spare top and is working on splitting it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

i think the idea of splitting the hard 'top' in 2 pieces is a great idea... but that's about all i can bring to the table...
Bill
wmf246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolNut View Post
I met Chip Wright in Asheville and he has a spare top and is working on splitting it.
OOOOhhhh, very very cool. I have no idea who Chip Wright is, but as long as he is in some way associated with fabbing stuff for cars, not just a guy who owns a bandsaw and lives in Asheville , this sounds very promising. At least someone is looking at this. I know this would make the wife happy as well, the whole soft targa build and install thing, not her thing.

google on Chip Wright:

A) Chuck Norris's stunt double???
B ) Chip Wright's page on "My Old House"?
not much else???
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5679 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.

Last edited by Shadofax; 02-22-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

He is on FB & from Raleigh and has a Coupe with Q9Y's
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolNut View Post
and has a Coupe with Q9Y's
As do all discerning Solstice fans, right?
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Right on BILL!!!!!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.