Donating My Coupe to a Good Cause - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice Coupe Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #31 (permalink)

Cool, did not know that it would be on a webcast. I'd love if someone was able to somehow record and link this to me as I will be driving the car across the auction block (and revving like crazy).

Thanks also for putting the word out. Phone bidding is available, info is on R&S site.

Once the car is gone, I'll share with you all the project to replace it, which is in the works as we speak...

Hint, there is room for four.
sbindley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #32 (permalink)

Who did the interior on your Sol. I love the way it came out.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

Local guy here in Phoenix. He did a great job - just did the faces of the seats, the rest is stock, but they look totally different.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbindley View Post
Hint, there is room for four.
Abarth 500?
09 Fastback Sol & 06 Vert Mods:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #35 (permalink)

New project a Fisker?

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #36 (permalink)

Warm fuzzies all around

Wow, this car got its transplant at NASSM 2011 in Austin and it was fascinating to watch the build happen on our midway that week (the photos I took aren't in my photobucket account; will have to upload them later). Many thanks for your support of the Kappa community then, and your generosity and goodwill now. I'll be leaving work early Friday to catch this sale.

2009 DEEP SOLSTICE COUPE N.A. MANUAL TRANNY PURCHASED
NEW YEAR'S EVE 2009

Coupe 112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #37 (permalink)

Drove it one last time on the way to auction drop off this morning -- temps in 30's, and needed the hard top on anyway since I was delivering it for good. (Never a fan of this car with the top on. Claustrophobic and hard to see out of and creaky -- hard to get in and out of also.)

It's funny, there is the most serious hardware you'll see just about anywhere at the auction, but the drop off folks really gushed over my car. It is parked in the tent behind a gigantic silver 57 Rolls Royce and beside a classic 60's Vette. Gotta say, it holds its own with anything in there. There are a couple thousand cars at the Scottsdale auctions this weekend, and it is common to see 427 Corbras and classic T-birds and all that, but it's the only Solstice Coupe in any of the auctions this year.

Anyway, I gave it a good long, loud rev before pulling the keys out. (I am driving it across the block on Friday, so I will get behind the wheel one last time.)

After that, I'll write a check to the hospital and start pestering the guys who have my car from which I am building the new project.

*Not a Fisker.

Next hint: RWD V8 with 315/35-20's on the rear to help launch.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #38 (permalink)

I suggest you leave the painted roof panel on when you drive up on the block. Keeps the flow of the roof
jeff465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #39 (permalink)

No way, roof needs to be off. Can't see the interior through those six inch tall windows with the roof on -- custom seats, 6 speed, 8" touch screen in custom painted dash, etc. I get the lines thing, but it shows better with top off - remember, only 3 minutes up there and people all around it wanting/needing to see as much as possible in such a short time. (Plus, overhead cams and big screens, etc.)

The car will be in the tent for all to see the entire weekend with the top on, so only on the block will it be off.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #40 (permalink)

I get what Jeff465 is saying, and that's with this crowd first impression's and presentation is everything because most agree the coupe lines show better with the top on. An option would be to drive it in with the soft top on and then hand that off to someone once you stopped and the bidding begins. That will it will allow folks to see the beautiful lines of the car (plus make aware it's a targa too)and be able to inspect the interior once it's removed. I'd also have the same person that's holding the soft-top targa raise the hood to show that fantastic motor off.

Gonna try and watch it, however still would appreciate it if someone tapes and post it.

Good luck and let the bidding begin.
09 Fastback Sol & 06 Vert Mods:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/

Last edited by ChopTop; 01-16-2013 at 08:26 AM.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #41 (permalink)

How about drive up with the hard top on and a passenger with you?

Drive up and park. You and passenger step out and lift the top off. Hang out for a couple minutes, put top back on and drive off.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #42 (permalink)

I don't think there is time for any of that. On or off. I'd hate to feature the clunky soft top or spend valuable time displaying the nutty idea that the targa top does not fit in the car...

Suffice to say that anyone bidding seriously will have checked out the car at length during the weekend with the top on and has seen all photos/videos with top on and off on the website.

There is a specific set of instructions for driving across block - pull into auction circle, turn off engine when instructed, pop the hood (great for me) answer questions, then the car is pushed off stage without restarting. All of this is 2-3 minutes and that is that.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #43 (permalink)

Got a photo of this car with its top - but missing the engine. You can see the LS3 destined for the engine bay peeking out of the bed of the pickup in the background. Took this shot while patrolling the lot during NASSM 2011 (didn't get much sleep that week, but it was well worth it).

NEW YEAR'S EVE 2009

Last edited by Coupe 112; 01-16-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Oka View Post
New project a Fisker?
Our hero Bob Lutz has taken on this project, putting Vette engines in Karmas. Gotta love that guy!

The Fisker Karma With a V-8, Courtesy of Bob Lutz - NYTimes.com

NEW YEAR'S EVE 2009

Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #45 (permalink)

At auction, engine bay open
Attached Thumbnails
Donating My Coupe to a Good Cause-photo-2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.