An emergency TARGA top - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

An emergency TARGA top

My experience in being caught out in a surprise rain has taught me to never trust the weather. A bit of a long story, but let’s just say I have vowed to never trust the weather again in a topless, no options, open automobile. Thus the subject of his post: “An emergency TARGA top”.

Sure GM made one for $1200, but no longer available. I tried to buy one that was included with a coupe For Sale, but no luck in getting the seller to split it from the listing. And missed one on eBay that had just sold for $750. With that record, I started thinking about making my own. Let’s face it ….. it might not ever be needed. So here we go …….

This effort was for my ‘new to me’ Solstice Coupe with Targa top. Convertibles might be interested, but the top is pretty easy to put up and is always along.

A tarp was needed to fit over the raised windows and extend forward on the windshield and backward to the mid-point of the glass trunk lid. I purchased two (2) plastic tarps. One was 5 1/2’ x 7 1/2’ while the smaller one was 4 1/2’ x 6 1/2’. Each tarp cost about $4. The larger tarp was just a little larger than I thought was needed, so I’ve chosen the smaller tarp for now.

I purchased ten (10) suction-cup type holders (pictured) from eBay for just over $2 each. Also needed are mini-bungee cords from Fry’s Electronics for $2 for 4 cords. Each cord is about 10”, give or take. The suction-cup location can be adjusted for cord length. I won’t put the suction-cups on the paint, and they must be on the glass.

A self constructed ‘peak’ is needed for the mid-point of your open cockpit. My ‘peak’ is pictured below. The white ends of the peak are some ‘garbage’ pieces I found in a bucket. (I never throw anything away, and take a lot of heat from the family because of it. But just look at how handy those two ‘window shade pieces’ turned out to be.) NO!, I have no idea what those pieces are??

Another item needed is a GROMMET kit. I found I wanted to add grommets to the tarp at particular locations for additional tie-down points. I recommend purchase of the 1/2” GROMMET KIT. It is the largest hole size kit I could find and has all the necessary pieces for adding additional grommets to the tarp’s edge. I added additional grommets ONLY on the manufactured edge, which has cord support inside.

With all my start and stop ideas, I did spend more than necessary on items that didn’t get used. But a good estimate of the necessary expenses used in the final product, so far, is I have spent about $40. (The 30’ of Amazon velcro will come in handy elsewhere, or will be used if I decide on the larger tarp someday.)

With my anticipated need being almost non-existent, it is no secret I have little to NO interest in pursuing the purchase of the factory model now.

If you have an interest in the thumbnail photos, see this sister Kappa posting. http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...4/#post1176250

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...4/#post1176265

Last edited by 44thSKY; 04-19-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 PM

And again: An emergency TARGA top - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

To link to a post in a thread, right-click on the (permalink) at the right of the post header and select "Copy link address". Then paste it into the new post.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, JohnWR. Every day is a school day. Thanks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 PM

Great idea and design. I need to get a centre strut made like this and then I can use it with my "Kappabrella". I have a soft top but this would be neat for when I don't feel like assembling it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	68097  

Mods: too many to list!

2007 GXP manual. Bought new Sept 2007
The Mean Machine
2009 GXP Coupe # 526. Bought May 2016 - 1800 miles
The Ace of Spades
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
I need to get a centre strut made like this and then I can use it with my "Kappabrella".
One of the early ideas I did consider was a 3/4" electrical conduit hold down ......for the end piece of the 'peak' rafter.

The open 'C' would be facing down and over the rubber molding of the open cockpit. It might take some testing and using a double hardware on each end to keep the peak from rolling over and falling into the car. That approach was my early backup, but finding those two pieces of hardware fit the project even better.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Or you could just get this!! https://www.funded.today/cashback/comingsoon/lanmodo
I'm actually thinking about getting this one to keep all of the bee poop off of my car at work!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 04-20-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Looks interesting. One thing comes to mind. We always had a sailboat when the family was growing up. We learned from that, ..... never leave the sail up and walk away for even a minute! Guaranteed, the wind will teach you a quick lesson.

The website didn't tell me much about their product, and I'm sure getting early pricing was about signing up for un-needed emails. Do you know the anticipated $ and anything about the product?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM

I think I remember $395 IMSMC.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode