Soft Targa Top - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice Coupe Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Soft Targa Top

Hello fellow Coupe owners. I was wondering if I can get some feedback from anyone that has the solft targa top for their Coupe. It's a bit pricey so I am trying to figure out if it's worth the money:

How hard is it to put on and off?
How durable is it?
how much space does it take up when in the trunk, room for anything else?
Etc...

Thanks,
Jonny
2009 black GXP Coupe #789
jonnymx25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

The 1 to 1:20 second mark gives you an idea of how you set it up.
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe - First Drive - Motor Trend Video

Having two people to remove the hard top is nice but can be done alone if you're somewhat agile. Installing the soft top is easy because it's lighter, assembling it is somewhat difficult but is one of those things where the more you do it the easier it becomes. It looks to be of the same vinly as the vert soft top, and takes up a little more room than a standard sleeping bag and leaves enough room for small overnight bags or a few bags of groceries. Seems expensive for what it is and mine creeks when it's installed but you just have to focus on that's it better than nothing.
2006/#482/First 1,000/Triple Blk/2.4 Manual/BCCoilovers/JPM Shifter (classic white w/black 5spd pattern)

2009/#480/GXP of 1266 Targa Coupes/Aggressive/Silver Metallic Stripe/Auto/Optional Polished Split Spokes/GMPP/Solo Mach Shorty/Norms Front GXP Splitter/BCCoilovers/DDM Backbeam & Probeam

LowLife handle simply means likes lowered cars

Last edited by LowLife1; 01-27-2011 at 11:42 AM.
LowLife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome feedback, thanks LowLife1!. I have had my Coupe for 3 months and can do the hardtop alone but agree it's a pain to do without help.
jonnymx25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLife1 View Post
The 1 to 1:20 second mark gives you an idea of how you set it up.
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe - First Drive - Motor Trend Video

Having two people to remove the hard top is nice but can be done alone if you're somewhat agile. Installing the soft top is easy because it's lighter, assembling it is somewhat difficult but is one of those things where the more you do it the easier it becomes. It looks to be of the same vinly as the vert soft top, and takes up a little more room than a standard sleeping bag and leaves enough room for small overnight bags or a few bags of groceries. Seems expensive for what it is and mine creeks when it's installed but you just have to focus on that's it better than nothing.
I pretty much agree with all this.
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
LiquidPT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you found one take it

Guven that you cant bring your hard top with you.....you dont have the joy of a real convertible.

The soft top is no perfect but it it doing the job just find. With that roof ou can at leas travel long distance as a convertible carrying it like a convertibe.

Last summer I travel with my soft top in the hatch with two carry on lugggage my soft golf bag with my drivers behind the seat!!!!!

try to do it with a normal convertible

GM dont manufactured it any more and ther is not a lot

again

IF YOU FOUND ONE"""""""TAKE IT
vzzp0c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I need to get ahold of one but running around 1K each its hard to come by especially after just purchasing my ride.

I REALLY Want one though. I'm thinking about selling stuff at home so I can have it for the summer

2010 Solstice Coupe Kinetic Blue #18 of 20 aka Rarity ------- 1/21/2011
2010Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Picked mine up from Crate Engine Depot
Solstice Removable Soft Top 19171149 - Crate Engine Depot

Just called them, customer is picking one up this morning and they have another left in their warehouse. If you buy make sure you immediately inspect, a few forum members had quality issues. One even had JPM (forum sponser) recover it a matching exterior sailcloth, it looks really sharp.
2006/#482/First 1,000/Triple Blk/2.4 Manual/BCCoilovers/JPM Shifter (classic white w/black 5spd pattern)

2009/#480/GXP of 1266 Targa Coupes/Aggressive/Silver Metallic Stripe/Auto/Optional Polished Split Spokes/GMPP/Solo Mach Shorty/Norms Front GXP Splitter/BCCoilovers/DDM Backbeam & Probeam

LowLife handle simply means likes lowered cars
LowLife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've had my Coupe for almost two years, and I've taken the top out exactly... once. Yep, once: the day I bought it.

Of course, I almost never put the top down on my '06 convertible, either... I'm a motorcycle guy. I get all the sun I can stand on my H-D. (much to the chagrin of my dermatologist)
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by risdo View Post
I've had my Coupe for almost two years, and I've taken the top out exactly... once. Yep, once: the day I bought it.

Of course, I almost never put the top down on my '06 convertible, either... I'm a motorcycle guy. I get all the sun I can stand on my H-D. (much to the chagrin of my dermatologist)
I am the exact opposite, once the warm weather comes the targa top comes off and pretty much stays off. Then again I dont own a bike.

After being caught in a rain storm and hiding out in a self service car wash waiting for the storm to pass, I broke down and bought one from Crate Engine Depot. I figured in a few years I can probably sell it for more than I paid for it.

SpyderMon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

We LOVE our soft top. It was a soaker saver several times for us last summer in Colorado when afternoon rain started blowing in.

GPSOLcoupe#26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Here's proof, I took it out once... July 1, 2009... the day I brought it home.

But seriously, I've never been a ragtop man. I've always loved coupes... I bought my previous '06 Sol not because it was a convertible, but because I loved the rest of the car so much that I bought it in spite of the top.

The fact that the top comes off is incidental. It's a coupe! It is funny, though, when people look at the car, and they say, Hey! The top comes off?!? I say, yeah, man, how d'ya like my Poor Man's Porsche?

Last edited by risdo; 04-06-2011 at 09:00 AM.
risdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

I wish that the top didn't come off at all, but then I like coupes too. I've never had mine off, but may in order to check a rattle problem. Then I suppose I'll have to look at the rusting screws (apparently they specced non-stainless screws in the trim) and would have to have them replaced under warranty and....see why it's easier to leave it on?
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

It looks better with the top on anyway... the lines are gorgeous.

But like I said, I get way too much sun on my motorcycle. When I'm in the car, I want that roof over my head...

My '06 Sol was not my first convertible, by the way. A '67 Mustang convertible carried me through five years of college, including two years in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The top was so raggedy that, if it snowed overnight, there would be a little pile of snow on the driver's seat... Once, I put the top down in 25 degree weather and the plastic back window exploded... Hey, we figured, people were riding snowmobiles, why not a convertible? (yeah, I was a dumb Southerner...)

But the whole time I was driving that car I lusted after a Trans Am... a coupe, of course. Finally got one after graduation. (no, I did not have a mullet...) Later I had a Firebird Formula for a decade. In my mind, my '09 Coupe is the spiritual successor to those old Firebirds.

Weird? Yes. But I'm happy.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

My 2-cents...

I'm not the biggest fan of going "topless" either, but just remember this part (soft top) is considered an accessory. GM can cancel this part at any moment. When it's gone that's it... no more!

If the coupe was a bigger seller (higher volumes) you might see an aftermarket accessory company step-up and make a soft-top, but that's not the case here.

Do I think the soft-top is overpriced? (Yes).
Do I use the soft top all that much? (No).
Am I glad I got it? (Yeah...I guess so).

BTW: All-time total sales on this soft top is 517 units. I guess that means there are another 500+ folks that didn't get the top?

Cortez
Coupe #169
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

I love my soft-top, It can be a real pain sometimes but I wouldn't want it sitting outside all day at work with the top off. Also I was always afraid it was going to rain or something when I was a 1-2hrs away from the hard top.
coupe_gxp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.