Spare tire–Donut Question: - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice Coupe Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Spare tire–Donut Question:

This question is more about curiosity than anything else.

Q: Is the Coupe's rear window area (trunk) large enough to stow a spare tire–donut (mini wheel)...whatever you want to call it?

I've used that fix-a-flat stuff in the past and it was always hit or miss with me.

Every once in a while I'll be out late coming back from somewhere and be thinking "I really wish I had a spare tire" just in case.

Obviously I'd need the jack and lug wrench too, but I was thinking that if I had a flat I could swap the tires out and put the full-size tire on the front seat passenger (most likely in a large trash bag or something to keep it clean).

The forum (in general) seems to support the possibility of having a spare tire/donut, but nothing about the Coupe and the rear space size.

I'm not too crazy about the prospects of messing around with a can of goo at 2:00am on the side of the road trying to fix a flat.

"Comments welcomed!"

Cortez
Coupe #169
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am not a fan of tire sealant, so I carry a plug kit instead. Unless you have a blowout, you can nearly always re-inflate a tire enough to get you to a safer place to work on it and the plug then makes for a permanent repair for most punctures.

I have a cell phone for anything more serious than the compressor and plug can handle.

Carrying a spare tire, jack, and lug wrench would pretty much eliminate any cargo space, and relying on not having a passenger would not be very desirable either, from my point of view.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
This question is more about curiosity than anything else.

Q: Is the Coupe's rear window area (trunk) large enough to stow a spare tire–donut (mini wheel)...whatever you want to call it?

I've used that fix-a-flat stuff in the past and it was always hit or miss with me.

Every once in a while I'll be out late coming back from somewhere and be thinking "I really wish I had a spare tire" just in case.

Obviously I'd need the jack and lug wrench too, but I was thinking that if I had a flat I could swap the tires out and put the full-size tire on the front seat passenger (most likely in a large trash bag or something to keep it clean).

The forum (in general) seems to support the possibility of having a spare tire/donut, but nothing about the Coupe and the rear space size.

I'm not too crazy about the prospects of messing around with a can of goo at 2:00am on the side of the road trying to fix a flat.

"Comments welcomed!"

Cortez
Coupe #169
John brings up some good points, but my main question is where are you going to find a small donut with the right lug pattern?
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

How's about a 5 X 110 wheel adapter, did a search on ebay for 110 spare tire and this came up:
04-11 HHR Cobalt Malibu G5 Spare Tire 5 lug 15x4, 5 lug 110mm Chevrolet | eBay
2006/#482/First 1,000/Triple Blk/2.4 Manual/BCCoilovers/JPM Shifter (classic white w/black 5spd pattern)

2009/#480/GXP of 1266 Targa Coupes/Aggressive/Silver Metallic Stripe/Auto/Optional Polished Split Spokes/GMPP/Solo Mach Shorty/Norms Front GXP Splitter/BCCoilovers/DDM Backbeam & Probeam

LowLife handle simply means likes lowered cars
LowLife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't think that one will do it - you need an 18" compact spare and that looks like a 15" unless I am misreading the ad.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Saab had a 17 or 18" spare in 5X110, I don't think it's super skinny though.
cdnite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Carrying around the extra weight of "spare" is a lot of hipe. Definatly worth getting AAA
who tow's, brings gas ect, all in short notice. All in short notice as well. Ditch the tire idea IMO.

The Designers should have given us a concealed umbrella. (It rains alot in Florida).

Bills86e

Last edited by Bills86e; 12-01-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Bills86e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bills - first "mod" my wife made was to put a telescoping umbrella in the cargo net behind the driver's seat. lol.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills86e View Post
Carrying around the extra weight of "spare" is a lot of hipe. Definatly worth getting AAA
who tow's, brings gas ect, all in short notice. All in short notice as well. Ditch the tire idea IMO.

Bills86e
The one time I had to deal with AAA they were far from getting me help in "short notice". Hopefully that isn't the norm but I didn't have a good experience with them.
chain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
Bills - first "mod" my wife made was to put a telescoping umbrella in the cargo net behind the driver's seat. lol.
My wife has a flat head so doesn't think that much, but it's a Great place to set my beer!
Bills86e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills86e View Post
My wife has a flat head so doesn't think that much, but it's a Great place to set my beer!
I finally figured out why my wife's hair is red; her brain is rusting.
omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

This was also mentioned a long time ago. Some one said that the spare would have to be a full size rim and tire because a "donut" spare is not the proper size and would throw off the car's rear diff and may cause other problems with your transmission if you go this route. Basically our car's computers are only synced up for the factory wheel size and weight distribution. That's the best way I can describe it. Anyone else remember this topic?
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Get Norm to work on a "Continental" kit!
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
BellaVerde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Jpdub (post 4)

What other cars have our bolt pattern??

Here is a list of other vehicles that use the 5x110 bolt pattern. Note that many of these vehicles use 17" rims as opposed to our stock 18", and most do not even reach our stock 8" width.

CATERA (1997-2001)

COBALT SS SPORT (2005 & NEWER 5 LUG MODELS)

HHR LS LT (2006 & NEWER)

MALIBU LS LTZ SS LT HYBRID (2004 & NEWER)

MALIVU / MAXX (2004 & NEWER)

PONTAIC G5 (GT 2007 & NEWER)

PONTIAC G6 GXP GTP GT (2005 & NEWER)

PONTAIC SOLSTICE (2006 & NEWER)

SAAB 9 3 (1999 & NEWER)

SAAB 9 4 (1993 & 1998)

SAAB 9 5 (1999 & NEWER)

SATURN ION REDLINE (2005 & NEWER)

SATURN L-SERIES (2000 & 2005)

SATURN SKY & REDLINE (2007 & NEWER)

SATURN ASTRA XE XR (2008 & NEWER)

SATURN AURA (2007 & NEWER)

The challenge in finding alternative wheels is both the bolt pattern and the offset. The stock offset is 55, which is rarely done. You'll be lucky to find wheels with offsets greater than 45 unless you go to the custom $1000 per wheel manufacturers.

I have a set of Avarus AV5 on order but they are being redrilled from a bolt pattern of 5x112 to 5x110 and have an offset of 45.

PM me and I can share who will redrill for you. That will greatly open up your options as the most popular sizes are 5x112 and 5x114. Also pretty rare to find a cast wheel in an offset greater than 45 which will extend your wheel outward approx .4" but seems to work in most cases.
ChopTop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVerde View Post
Get Norm to work on a "Continental" kit!
Your kidding, right? A continental kit would look horrible on the back of our cars. Way to big.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.