2006 Solstice diff leak - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

2006 Solstice diff leak

Hello all- I just purchased a 2006 NA with 2800 original miles. Just noticed the dreaded diff pinion seal drip on the floor. I've read ton of the threads regarding this issue. However , I don't have the time to read them all to find my answers. So, to expedite, could someone give me a brief, updated summary for my questions?
I understand the fix is a revised seal, pinion yoke and nut. Is this still available? If so a part number please and a recommended source for the parts? Mine is a limited slip diff. Any special tools needed? In my 64 years, I've owned many sports cars(63 e-type, , Corvettes,still have my 57 MGA), but I really like this Solstice.. I have contacted a local GM dealer, but they have never serviced a Solstice..the parts manager asked me if it was an SUV..that scares me. Even though this was a mandatory recall from GM, I am still responsible for all costs?
Thanks in advance.
The knowledge of and passion for these cars on this site is amazing!
All the best,
John Coryea
Malone, NY
jcoryea1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
There were at least two recalls on the 06. Check with GM to see if both have been applied. Even if its out of warranty, they may choose to cover it for you. At least you will have the correct parts.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

Last edited by rob the elder; 09-30-2012 at 11:09 PM.
rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had the same problem with my 2006 NA I purchased a year ago. Dealer who used to sell them (the service manger still has a sky) did a check and said the pinion, etc was changed out as well as the differential. The fix was the extended vent tube on the rear--all fixed. Still have a whine when everything warms up though. Looking to change out fluids over winter.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

solstice pinion leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
There were at least two recalls on the 06. Check with HM to see if both have been applied. Even if its out of warranty, they may choose to cover it for you. At least you will have the correct parts.
Thanks Rob..pardon my ignorance..who or what is HM?
Thanks,
John
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

If it is the pinion seal leaking, that is what the recall was for, and the recall only covered the pinion seal. Yes it requires a special tool to install the seal. Since it is a recall, there is no cost to the owner of the car, and it doesn't matter what the warranty status of the car is.

The dealer should be able to look up your VIN number and determine whether it has been done in the past.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Mazoo-
I don't have the vent upgrade..I can do that myself..is the metal vent available only at a dealer?
My plans this winter are a Curt or drawtite hitch,mudguards , maybe caliper paint,and solo exhaust.
All the best,
John
2006 Solstice sly,two tone leather ,all options except Monsoon and turbo ..3800 miles now
Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hello all-
I checked with a dealer who has serviced these cars..the pinion seal was not done. if and when the time comes, you are saying to replace the seal as well as the yoke and nut?
Thanks,
John
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoryea1 View Post
Hello all-
I checked with a dealer who has serviced these cars..the pinion seal was not done. if and when the time comes, you are saying to replace the seal as well as the yoke and nut?
Thanks,
John
To the best of my memory, the recall does not include replacing a yoke or a nut, just the seal.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

2006 pinion seal fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
To the best of my memory, the recall does not include replacing a yoke or a nut, just the seal.
Hello all-
Earlier, I posted concerning my pinion seal leak. i was hoping it was from my 57 MGA diff, but no..it's the Sol at 4000 miles. I'm putting her away for the winter and will get the repair in spring. To be clear, I believe the earlier posts say to replace the yoke,nut as well as the seal. I understand the yoke and nut are my expense. What year Sol yoke /nut do I get ordered? Any special caveats/procedure for installation..? Not too many GM dealers have worked on Sols up here. Thanks in advance..
John
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZOO View Post
I had the same problem with my 2006 NA I purchased a year ago. Dealer who used to sell them (the service manger still has a sky) did a check and said the pinion, etc was changed out as well as the differential. The fix was the extended vent tube on the rear--all fixed. Still have a whine when everything warms up though. Looking to change out fluids over winter.
I just bought a 2006 and the diff whine after it gets warm on the highway. Accelerate no noise. Declerate no noise in cruise and no load it is very loud. any recall fix?
markberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sorry to hear of any issues occurring. I can run the VIN# to see if any apply to your local vehicles. Customer's should not be charged for any recalls open on the vehicle. Recalls and other such coverages can be time sensitive. Any GM dealer is authorized to perform them. The link I am attaching is a tool for owner's to locate service centers, recall information, and other services. I hope this is resolved quickly for everyone.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Pontiac Owner Resources and Information | Pontiac
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

hello my name is Carlos, I'm from Merida Mexico and I was wondering if someone could help me get ring and pinion for a 2006 Pontiac Solstice 2.4lts . because in Mexico there are not many and they ask me 41,000 pesos! (like 3500 dollars)please helpme i am a little worry, thanks for all and sorry for my bad English
dittrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.