Air Conditioner "growl" - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Deb-Deb
Air Conditioner "growl"

I have had my car for a month now, and have 2400 miles on it. Loved EVERY ONE OF THEM. Fortunate to live in Central Texas where I've had the top down for all but 4 days. On those few humid rainy days, I noticed from the start that when I turn on the air conditioner, there is a slight gurgly/growl noise. Is this normal? Has anyone else heard it? I live about 50 miles from the dealership where I bought it & I'm just wondering if it's worth the drive to see if it will go away or if it is just normal. Anyone?
Deb-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb-Deb View Post
I have had my car for a month now, and have 2400 miles on it. Loved EVERY ONE OF THEM. Fortunate to live in Central Texas where I've had the top down for all but 4 days. On those few humid rainy days, I noticed from the start that when I turn on the air conditioner, there is a slight gurgly/growl noise. Is this normal? Has anyone else heard it? I live about 50 miles from the dealership where I bought it & I'm just wondering if it's worth the drive to see if it will go away or if it is just normal. Anyone?
Does it make this noise every time you turn it on or just the first time after it's been off for a while? Also, does it happen when the clutch engages automatically, or just when you turn the system on?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Hard to tell over the internet is a noise is "normal" or not.

On the base Solstice with the 2.4L engine (like yours), some owners may comment on a growling or buzzing noise when the A/C is on.

This condition may be caused by any of the following:

• Cause 1 - Loose A/C Compressor Bolts

• Cause 2 -- Thermal Expansion Valve (typically a buzzing noise at 1500-2000 RPM)

• Cause 3 - Evaporator Tube Assembly Lines Contacting Front of Dash Sheet Metal

You could wait until your fist servicing and have the compressor bolts checked for tightness. Then you would not have to make a special trip back to the selling dealership or another Pontiac dealership. You could also have the dealership pre-order the bracket kit needed to isolate the lines, so if it was need, it would be in stock.

You could also check it out yourself, or have someone more local. The bolts should be tighten in sequence (Top Front, Rear, Bottom Front) to 22 N·m (16 lb ft). Same torque for the A/C Compressor and Condenser Hose Assembly Bolt.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp AC Bolts.bmp (450.5 KB, 2826 views)
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, its attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."

Last edited by Small Dealer; 03-25-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have had that happen too. I am going to live with it for now as my dealer experience has been very poor other than buying the car.
Reefkeeperj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTashis View Post
Does it make this noise every time you turn it on or just the first time after it's been off for a while? Also, does it happen when the clutch engages automatically, or just when you turn the system on?

My car is an automatic, so it's basically every time I turn on the air conditioner.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer View Post
Hard to tell over the internet is a noise is "normal" or not.

On the base Solstice with the 2.4L engine (like yours), some owners may comment on a growling or buzzing noise when the A/C is on.

This condition may be caused by any of the following:

Cause 1 - Loose A/C Compressor Bolts

Cause 2 -- Thermal Expansion Valve (typically a buzzing noise at 1500-2000 RPM)

Cause 3 - Evaporator Tube Assembly Lines Contacting Front of Dash Sheet Metal

You could wait until your fist servicing and have the compressor bolts checked for tightness. Then you would not have to make a special trip back to the selling dealership or another Pontiac dealership. You could also have the dealership pre-order the bracket kit needed to isolate the lines, so if it was need, it would be in stock.

You could also check it out yourself, or have someone more local. The bolts should be tighten in sequence (Top Front, Rear, Bottom Front) to 22 Nm (16 lb ft). Same torque for the A/C Compressor and Condenser Hose Assembly Bolt.
Thanks! This is very helpful.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb-Deb View Post
My car is an automatic, so it's basically every time I turn on the air conditioner.
I was referring to the AC compressor clutch.

When the AC gets cold enough, the clutch on the compressor disengages. You can usually hear it on most cars because it takes a load off the engine. I'm wondering if this same growling noise occurs every time the clutch re-engages.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oops. It may be obvious that I have this car for the looks and know nothing about cars. LOL I'll try to listen for what you've described...
Old 03-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Founding Member

...ver noisy

my GXP makes noise when the a/c is on, and my NA Sol did too. Seems to be only with the a/c, not just with the fan, yet it sounds like a noisy fan.
'07 GXP - 3/19/07 - 5 Speed auto - Black/Charcoal Leather - Red stitching- LSD - Monsoon - MP3 - XM - A/C - ABS - Cruise - GXP Floormats - Chrome wheels - Sport pedals - leather visor covers - GM Stage power upgrade - Polished Santana cupholder

my other vehicle is a 2008 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited
RichSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Some of the early cars had air conditioners that were under-filled. My first Solstice made the same noise. My second car, produced later, does not. -Lumix
Lumix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mine does. I have a list of things for the dealer when i get around to taking it back. Nothing major but this sounds like a bearing problem. A loud whirr when the fan is turned on.

Definitely not normal
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumix View Post
Some of the early cars had air conditioners that were under-filled. My first Solstice made the same noise. My second car, produced later, does not. -Lumix

Great point for those reading the thread that may not have a 2007 like Deb-Deb.

A 2006 Solstice would have low charge, which can cause excessive cycling, on the list of possible noise causes.
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, its attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
AC check is on our list for the dealer, too. We've had a similar noise that needs to be investigated. What's the chance of permanent damage if it was under filled?
jrdallas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdallas View Post
AC check is on our list for the dealer, too. We've had a similar noise that needs to be investigated. What's the chance of permanent damage if it was under filled?
I wouldn't think it would cause any permanent damage, but I could be totally wrong. I'm afraid that I'm just not an air conditioning man so I couldn't say for sure. A lot of the 06 Solstices had low charge but I haven't heard of any of them being damaged.
Most of the time, they would just go through short periods where the temperature would rise quickly and then cool back down several seconds later. -Lumix
Lumix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I wouldn't think it would cause any permanent damage, but I could be totally wrong. I'm afraid that I'm just not an air conditioning man so I couldn't say for sure. A lot of the 06 Solstices had low charge but I haven't heard of any of them being damaged.
Most of the time, they would just go through short periods where the temperature would rise quickly and then cool back down several seconds later. -Lumix
Just that the low pressure side would be much lower than normal, making the chance of atmosphere leaking in that much higher if there is a leak, but if the system remains sealed, it just makes the system work harder.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.