Air Conditioning - Noise Gone - Very Cold - So far, so good - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Air Conditioning - Noise Gone - Very Cold - So far, so good

I have a 2006 that was having the typical AC problems that people on this web site talked about. Not blowing cold air consistently, and warm hot moist air coming out. Somewhat better performance when driving at freeway speeds and usually no cold air in stop and go traffic. All of that accompanied by a whining noise under the dash/hood when the compressor came on. I wanted to share this post as I read where some of you mentioned that your dealers were not having any success in trying to solve the problem. Some went so far as to sat that your dealers told you that the whining noise was a characteristic of the car.

I took my car a total of 3 times to 2 different dealers. This first time the said they replaced the control head. Unfortunately, the first dealer left a lot to be desired as far as customer service for more reasons than I can expound on this post. That fix did nothing noticeable. The 2nd time at the highly recommended 2nd dealer, they just topped off the freon. Slight improvement for 1 day. On the third time I spoke to the service manager and let them know what I found on this website and what people were saying here. I also told them to keep my car until they solved it. He knew I was frustrated and seemed sincere about getting things resolved once and for all. Also went on to say that if there is still a problem after this visit, he was going to get GM involved to make it right. Pretty amazing I thought.

After 4 days, I picked my car up tonight. Of course irony struck and for the first time in 2 weeks, it is cool outside. But I ran the air anyway. I am happy to say that the whining noise was gone and there was an immediate blast of cold air. Really cold air. Colder than it ever has been since I owned the car. I know it is too early to say it is fixed, but I think they got it. This was a very good dealer and and even better service manager. I will update this post in while to let you know if this worked for the long term. See below.

Here is what they did this time:
1.) Replaced the high pressure switch - saying this was causing the compressor to turn on and off when it was not suppose to, thus the /warm air.
Parts replaced were:
Sensor 9.275 #22678731
Bracket 9.225 #19130241
Valve Kit 9.213 #89025005

2.) Per GM Bulletin #06-01-39-016A - Whining noise when AC is on
Replace expansion valve and bracket {part number(s) not provided}

Last edited by RaineMan; 09-06-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: adding
RaineMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Can you please post the name of the dealers that you used, so that the other members will know where to go and where to avoid?
JBandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

yep - GM Bulletin #06-01-39-016A
worked for me...

Mean 2008 GXP
Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !

Deep 2009 NA Coupe
Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
sirwm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Bunnin of Ventura in Oxnard California (GM Store) is the place I found that reminded me of what great customer service is all about. From the way they answer their phone to the way they handle customers made the other dealer look like a concentration camp. Keep in mind that I did not buy the car at Bunnin and still was treated better than where I bought the car.

I go 22 miles out of my way to go to a great dealer. It is well worth it.

Also, if you have a dealer that does not give a damn, please report them to GM customer service. It really does have an impact on the bad dealer. After all we are plopping down a good amount of money for these cars and deserve good basic customer service. Not asking for too much.

Last edited by RaineMan; 09-10-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: edit
Old 09-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Raine,

Please post back in a few weeks to let us know if the A/C is truly fixed.
CenturionAVRE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

So far so good
Old 09-16-2007, 06:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the post! I'm having the same issues with my AC, except the dealer swears it's not a problem. Unfortunately, it's the only GM dealer within a 60 mile radius, so I'm almost stuck with what I have.

Fortunately, the AC is blowing very cold. I have noticed a little moisture near the vents, but I thought it might be normal condensation.

Regarding the whining noise. Is it a sign of a problem in the AC? Will ignoring it cause me future problems down the road? If it's a reliability issue, then I'll get it address right away (or maybe after the dealership fixes my top!). If it's a noise issue, then I may be able to live with it a while longer and revisit the problem in a few months, possibly with a different dealer.
sol79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sol79 - Not sure if the whining noise is indicative of a bad AC or not. But I would say if your AC is blowing very cold, let it be.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Definitely fixed.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
Definitely fixed.
You may not know for sure 'till it's hot outside again. My sounds terrible here in Phoenix when it is over 100. Have not taken it in, mine sounds perfectly quiet now that it is under 100 again. Mine is definitely associated with high ambients.

Mods: Billet front grille.
GM mud flaps (front only)
Carolina Custom armrest pads
ASAP Signs & Graphics, Back up Lite Covers
Carbon fiber license plate frame
Solo Mach Split Duals for N/A with Resonator (Amazing Sound! DarkSol now has DeepSol's voice)
Norm's "Fabulous" Fiberglass Split Dual Rear Fascia

Lovin' AZ

PONTIAC: "We Used to Build Excitement! Now We Build Nothing"....

Last edited by AZDarkSol; 10-10-2007 at 06:53 PM.
AZDarkSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

I live in SoCal. Have experienced hi 90's with perfect air conditioning after the fix for several weeks. I am satisfied that it is fixed.

I'll let you know if there are any changes.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
I live in SoCal. Have experienced hi 90's with perfect air conditioning after the fix for several weeks. I am satisfied that it is fixed.

I'll let you know if there are any changes.
I also noticed that my MPG has improved greatly since that ambients have dropped. 2-3 MPG all around average. When that a/c is whining that load on the engine is much higher.

Mods: Billet front grille.
GM mud flaps (front only)
Carolina Custom armrest pads
ASAP Signs & Graphics, Back up Lite Covers
Carbon fiber license plate frame
Solo Mach Split Duals for N/A with Resonator (Amazing Sound! DarkSol now has DeepSol's voice)
Norm's "Fabulous" Fiberglass Split Dual Rear Fascia

Lovin' AZ

PONTIAC: "We Used to Build Excitement! Now We Build Nothing"....
AZDarkSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thank You!

Thank you very, very much for posting a resolution for the air conditioner growl. I took this information to the dealership, they made the corrections, and I nearly fell out of my car when I turned the A/C on today!

Silence!!! Amazing!

Before, the A/C sounded like a box fan the second you turned it on! This is actually the first time I've gotten results from a trip to the dealership and I owe that to you and this forum! Thanks again!
kappacar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Glad the post was of some assistance. I was hoping it would be.

Enjoy!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDarkSol View Post
You may not know for sure 'till it's hot outside again. My sounds terrible here in Phoenix when it is over 100. Have not taken it in, mine sounds perfectly quiet now that it is under 100 again. Mine is definitely associated with high ambients.
Wow. Exactly. I posted this summer about the AC whine and you're absolutely right about high ambient temperatures.

My car is currently in the shop for differential replacement, so I thought I'd try out the AC. If there was a problem, then I could get them to repair it while it was in the shop. The only problem is, I can't duplicate the noise no matter what I do. It definitely blows cold, just as it always has.

I've never used the AC when it's under 85 or so. That's when my top is down. Come to think of it, the only time I've ever used the AC in this car is when the temperature is in the 90's. I'll do some more testing this spring and summer.
sol79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.