anyone getting a check engine light?? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

anyone getting a check engine light??

My check engine light came on, and I had the dealer check it out and was told they could not find anything and they are blaming it on my husband changing the oil in my Solstice and not using a GM oil filter. He purchases the oil filter from Auto Zone. So, today I had the dealer change the oil, and I'm assuming they used their GM approved oil filter, and on the way home my check engine light is still on. My Solstice will be 3 years old on Dec 26. Anyone with similar circumstances?? My husband is not buying it.... Thanks for any feedback anyone can give me. Becky in Englewood
predewcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to MomsSol
Becky ... take it to an Advance Auto or somewhere that will read the CEL for free. Let us know what 'P' code they find. Then, we can assist from there.

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
MomsSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by predewcoop View Post
My check engine light came on, and I had the dealer check it out and was told they could not find anything and they are blaming it on my husband changing the oil in my Solstice and not using a GM oil filter. He purchases the oil filter from Auto Zone. So, today I had the dealer change the oil, and I'm assuming they used their GM approved oil filter, and on the way home my check engine light is still on. My Solstice will be 3 years old on Dec 26. Anyone with similar circumstances?? My husband is not buying it.... Thanks for any feedback anyone can give me. Becky in Englewood
Oil filter has nothing to do with the check engine light. I think you got taken for a ride. I think you should call the Pontiac zone rep and complain.

2008 Malibu LTZ 3.6 6 speed
2008 Cadillac SRX AWD N*
2002 GMC Denali Quadrasteer
2006 Audi A6 Quattro
2012 Suzuki Burgman Executive
1965 Bolens tractor. w/new 13hp crate motor
2000 pair of roller blades
2008 Limer backpacking shoes
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

How long does the code stay stored in the car? My engine light came on and drove about half hour before i parked the car for about 3 hours. When i went to turn it back on, the light stayed off. This happened around the 10,000 mile mark.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

A code that caused the check engine light to illuminate will remain stored in history for over 100 key cycles or until the codes are cleared. If the check engine light is illuminated, there is a code stored, no exceptions. If a tech tells you that they can not find a code when your light is on, they are either lying or they do not know how to use the scan tool properly.
sly_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by predewcoop View Post
they could not find anything and they are blaming it on my husband changing the oil in my Solstice and not using a GM oil filter
Quote:
on the way home my check engine light is still on
I hope you didn't actually pay for that oil change. if you did i would get your money back asap. I cant believe they came to the conclusion that a non-gm oil filter is causing a check engine light that they couldn't diagnose
Old 11-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

^^^ I totally agree. Make sure they buy you dinner first, the next time you visit that dealership!!!
Blackcat custom gauges (to replace the US ones with KPH)
Windrestrictor V2 (love it!)
Bel RX75 Pro radar detector
SOLO Hi-Flow Cat and Mach exhaust
Westers Tune (yeah baby!)
KWhale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Please go back and get your money back!

Is the check engine light blinking or solid? I thought that solid meant it was part of the emissions system (as per the manual). I wouldn't take that as truth, i'll have to check again.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'll take it somewhere and have someone check it. I didn't pay for the oil change, it was a freebie because the last time I had my car in (trunk wasn't staying up and kept conking me in the head) they took forever to partially fix it (told me the replacement parts that were sent were both for the same side so I had to wait 3 more weeks for the other side to come in!!) so they gave me the free oil change for being nice and "understanding". Sooo, now I used my freebie and the check engine light hasn't gone out. I think they cleared the code the first time when they said it was the "non-gm oli filter", but it came back on a few days later. Stayed on awhile, went out for a few days and came back and hasn't gone off since. Doesn't blink, it's solid. thanx for the feedback....
predewcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ask them what code is for "non GM oil filter"! I'm just curious as to what they'd say
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Equus 3123 - Equus Products OBD I Code Readers - summitracing.com

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Either of the tools above will tell you what the CEL is for...you'll never have to take anyone's word for it again. I have the second one listed, and have used it on my Solstice (never had a code but it works), and fixed my friend's Range Rover, an Explorer, and an Infiniti with it so far. Needless to say, a no-brainer investment. By the way, the only oil related issue I know of that could throw a code is low oil pressure, which wouldn't be caused by a filter, only a failed pump, sending unit, or a leak around it, etc. Of all the filter designs, ours would have to be the easiest to produce an aftermarket one that meets or exceeds factory specs. I'll never buy a Fram canister filter, but have no problem using the cartridge type our cars use (the element looks like the exact same material).
Old 12-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
DNC

Engine

Had house full of company the past week and my wife's 2007 GXP always seemed to be behind whomever needed access to their car. Probably pulled it down the drive dozen times in 3 days. On the last cycle her precious pet began misfiring and stalling. Engine light came on and stayed on. Off to the dealer today and enroute she cleared up but engine light stayed lit. Diagnosis - fouled plugs. Dealer informed us GM aware of the problem and a hotter plug is to be made available to resolve the issue. Unfortunately, plugs are not available at this time. Also inquired about a squeak in front end. Seems front swaybar mount upgrades and available to resolve noise issue.

Last edited by DNC; 12-10-2008 at 05:32 PM.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hotter Plugs for GXP

AC Delco plug part number 41-108 (its the hotter version they switched to for the 2008 model). Instantly made my 2007 GXP run better. If your dealer is out of them, I'm sure you can get them somewhere.

Last edited by TbeaunTx; 12-11-2008 at 04:44 PM.
TbeaunTx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mojo5
same problem - check engine light - can't find anything wrong???

check engine light came on, went to dealer. dealer had my car for two days and couldn't find anything wrong with her. i took her home and three days later, the check engine light came back on! on-star said that it is a misfire in cylinder 4 and not to worry. just take her back as soon as i could...

any one had the same problem? thoughts or suggestions?

thanks!

2007 sol. gxp (mysterious)
mojo5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Did you ever get the hotter plugs, there is a TSB out on it.
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
Critterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.