Battery Terminal Replacement - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well I went with a brass version of the terminal post from my original message. I did add grease and pads as well. It seemed as though everything went well, the terminal was a little tight and I couldn't get it down all the way but it's on pretty tight.
So, the next day I went to work drove home for lunch then went to the park for a break after stopping at the store.
Went to start the care and completely dead, same as it was before I replaced the battery and terminal. .....so dead that the key stuck in the ignition and had to hit the magic button under the steering wheel. I was parked for not even 15 minutes.
So, I called a friend and he hooked up the cables and I started it right away and it started without hesitation, not even a hiccup. Which is weird.

The only things that have changed in the car is I have some older HIDS and I had changed out the horn with nothing super interesting or unique.

These things have been in the car for ever though, maybe 2 years. However, the wiring for the HIDS is a mess...wasn't done very well.

Anyhoo, nothing was loose, nothing left plugged in....I think I'm going to replace the negative terminal as well but I doubt that's the issue.

Maybe it's the other side of the cable having the issue??
Daily driver.
I'm at WalMart riding the ponies, bring quarters!
beecee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Didn't notice in the initial thread, but if there was really bad corrosion around the terminal, odds are, there was some kind of leak around the terminal. Could the terminal be physically damaged by any chance?

Put a volt/multimeter on it, and you should be getting 12.6V+. Then while someone is reading voltage, grab and push on the terminal. If the voltage suddenly cuts out, the terminal could be partially/tentatively connected.

That could explain the sudden on/off characteristic of the battery.

If it's more than 4 years old, change it out anyways. Lots of thee AC Delco batteries seem to fail without much warning, and with occasional weird behavior until it fully dies.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

I just placed a new battery and a new positive terminal. The negative terminal doesn't look horrible, just a little aged.
The strange thing is that it isn't acting like there is a problem with the battery. I placed in a Duracell gold. I'll have to test the voltage like you said but you have a feeling it's not going go show an issue.
I wish the solstice was a bit easier to work in, everything is so tight
Daily driver.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Founding Member

Did you put grease in the terminal and then clamped it?.
If you did please remove it and clean it.
Make sure you put the dielectric grease after you install the new terminal post.
Also make sure the bare wires were cleaned before you attached them to the new terminal.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Good catch. Put the grease on after it is all connected.
wine_lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wine_lover View Post
Good catch. Put the grease on after it is all connected.
True, but it's not like it's a rubber sleeve or something, it wouldn't be enough to be causing these problems.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Founding Member

Carbon, I have seen this happen before specially if the wires were not cleaned.
I just think at least we need to let the member know the correct procedure.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

TS,
Thank for posting the #s.
What does the F mean?
The Rev. would like to know.
LLLFLY
Winner best interior 2012 NASSM
DDMWorks:,WindRestrictor
Elizabethtown,PA
llllfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llllfly View Post
What does the F mean?
The Rev. would like to know.
A woman went into the fishmonger's and asked for a pound of Cod.
"Sorry, madam" he replied, "but we've run out of Cod."
"OK. Then I'll take a pound of Cod, please."
Rather surprised, the fishmonger told his customer again that there was no Cod. With that the woman promptly asked for Cod again.
"I'm sorry madam, let me spell it out for you" growled the fishmonger, "there IS no C.O.F.D."
The woman looked puzzled for a minute and slowly replied "but there's no F in Cod."
"Yes, madam, that's exactly what I've been trying to tell you for the past five minutes...."
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
Carbon, I have seen this happen before specially if the wires were not cleaned.
I just think at least we need to let the member know the correct procedure.
I doubted it once too. A car buddy of mine disagreed with me, and proved it. He took a brand new battery, put dielectric grease onto the terminals of the battery, and all over the clamps that go over the terminals, then put the clamps down, tightened them up, and no problems whatsoever, and ran all his cars like that. He did it that way because he thought it was the way to do it. It never gave him problems, so he never doubted it.

Anyways . . . sure, easy and quick to confirm. Definitely should be done. But I'm guessing it's not causing the sudden dead battery. I'm far more willing to bet the battery is defective/damaged, i.e. cracked terminal, faulty cell, etc, simply due to occurrence/odds or some other cause than dielectric grease sufficiently insulating the terminal from the clamp . . . I just don't see it happening.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecee View Post
Here is what is left
What gage are those 4 and 6?
SkyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

Yes I put a thin layer of the grease on the terminals. I can take it off and clean it out. I cleaned the wires very good and looked up the cable cover to make sure nothing was left.

The interesting thing is that the "dead" behavior of the car was like it was before switching the battery out. However, the terminal was a MESS. It hasn't done it again but I do for sure need to re-tighten the terminal so I will clean off the grease and reapply. I was following instructions that were given to me when my truck battery was replaced. hmm.

As for the gauge of the wires? Not sure on that one.
Daily driver.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecee View Post
Yes I put a thin layer of the grease on the terminals. I can take it off and clean it out. I cleaned the wires very good and looked up the cable cover to make sure nothing was left.

The interesting thing is that the "dead" behavior of the car was like it was before switching the battery out. However, the terminal was a MESS. It hasn't done it again but I do for sure need to re-tighten the terminal so I will clean off the grease and reapply. I was following instructions that were given to me when my truck battery was replaced. hmm.

As for the gauge of the wires? Not sure on that one.
While I was working on my stereo project, I installed one of these quick disconnects on my battery terminal:

I used it so that I could quickly disconnect and reconnect the battery when working on all the electrical. I noticed that it seemed the connection was not very solid. This caused some flickering in the DIC, and twice, suddenly went dead when parked for like 15 minutes. All it took was to pop the hood, and jiggle it a little, but it definitely was an iffy connection.

I removed it and ended up using one of these as my permanent solution after the install was completed:

As a result, I basically cut the end off, put a terminal on it, and it's now bolted to one of those 3 bolts. I have a 4 gauge AWG coming off that that goes to a 4 farad capacitor, then a distribution block. I've left the 3rd opening as a temporary/test/etc terminal.

So that's why I keep insisting on something pushing/pulling on the terminals a little with the car running, and see if that causes any odd electrical behavior. I've seen it before with a slightly cracked connection to a battery terminal, and from failing cells within a battery before (would put out 12V, and then under 10V at times when one cell failed). I have never seen too much dielectric grease cause a car to not start. But hey, looks like you're going to address that anyways. And don't go nuts tightening the terminals. If you can't move the terminal, it's tight enough. So many people damage the battery terminals from over tightening the terminal clamps on the cables.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #29 (permalink)

How does the original clamp tightening mechanism work?

So I cleaned the positive battery terminal of corrosion on my wife's Solstice and it appears to have solved the inability to start the car. But I don't see how the tightening mechanism works - how does it tighten the clamp around the battery post? Anyone have it figured out?
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa View Post
So I cleaned the positive battery terminal of corrosion on my wife's Solstice and it appears to have solved the inability to start the car. But I don't see how the tightening mechanism works - how does it tighten the clamp around the battery post? Anyone have it figured out?
Another bad GM design. I noticed now matter how tight the terminal cable posts are, if you pull straight up on them they still slide right off. So basically they don't grip that well at all. The bolt is on top instead of on the sides like traditional battery end cable terminals. Side bolts clamp inward and toward the battery post. Having a bolt on top does nothing. It still can spin around left and right. Anyone have a better solution for this? Perhaps a devise to put on top to lock the post down better?
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.