Battery went dead: neither RKE fob works - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Battery went dead: neither RKE fob works

So i was a day late hooking up the battery tender this weekend, thanks in part to the trunk lid not closing all the way and the light staying on all night.

now neither keyfob works at all. battery is back to fully charged.

came across the TSB below. Do i seriously have to go to the dealer for this? all i want in life is to never have to go to a dealer.
I have also seen inconclusive threads here about "yes you can/no you can't reprogram the fobs yourself".

Mine is a 2008 and the manual has no such programming instructions.

Yes it is my fault for draining the battery, but can;t the system be designed such that the car doesn't lose basic functions as a result of a relatively common event?

Sorry, I am not excited about the prospect of paying $100 and sitting at a dealer for a couple of hours.

-----------------------

08-03-16-001B: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes on Al Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR) - (Jul 31, 200

Subject: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes On All Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR)

Models: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu

2008 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice

2008 Saturn AURA, SKY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Important statement to reflect the new direction to no longer contact TCSC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-03-16-001A (Section 03 - Suspension).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires.

Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module.

In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:

The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.

Correction
Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2 is updated with the latest software.

Important: If the Tech 2 could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error -- Pass Thru Only".

Once the RCDLR module has been reflashed with the latest software and calibrations, the following may also be necessary:

Relearn all keyless entry transmitters.

Reconfigure the tire pressure placards and the tire type.

Relearn the tire pressure sensors.

Refer to SI for the procedures to relearn transmitters, placard and tire type configuration and tire pressure sensor learn.
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you need to get that fixed, the only way to do it is at the dealer.
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Jeff,

The car is actually designed to retain the setup data, but a programming error turned that ability off. Part of the procedure is to correct that error.

Unfortunately the only way to get the car to learn an RKE transmitter (aka fob) is with a Tech 2.

The more ominous problem to me is how this started. The trunk light shouldn't, as far as I know, be able to stay on all night. The Inadvertant Load Control relay should turn it off after 20 minutes. I will check mine tonight to be sure, but I am fairly certain that is the way it works.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue

Last edited by JRinKY; 11-13-2012 at 06:24 AM.
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

It seems I have to make this trek to the dealer too. When I picked up my car in '09 (it was a showroom queen) the battery was dead and though they had charged it, the fobs didn't work. They 'fixed' it and I thought they'd done the TSB reprogramming then, but a couple of days ago I rotated the tires and attempted to do the TPMS relearn using the manual's pressure drop/raise method. Nothing. Sigh. I guess the TSB DIDN'T get applied. B*stards.

(The selling dealership was one that was dropped by GM. I wonder why.)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgtx View Post
all i want in life is to never have to go to a dealer.
Priceless.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Can the tech 2 relearn the rke without doing this update?

Ie you get your key fins back but you remain at risk with the next battery dead event?

And why does this happen when it goes dead but not when I purposely disconnect the battery?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
jeffgtx : Can the tech 2 relearn the rke without doing this update?

Ie you get your key fins back but you remain at risk with the next battery dead event?

And why does this happen when it goes dead but not when I purposely disconnect the battery?
Yes. There are two separate procedures. One is to program the car to read the RKE transmitter. The other is to update the software so that loss of power will not erase the programming.

Yes. If the software update is not done, you are still at risk.

Speculation ? Maybe you haven't had the battery disconnected long enough to cause the memory loss. Control modules frequently have an internal capacitor that will store enough charge to ride it through a "short" power loss.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

The battery was dead for hours. The car went without a battery for days maybe weeks when it was having work done. I suspect something happened as the battery died that jolted the receiver memory somehow. I guess I should worry that it might be in worse shape than just suffering from memory loss.

Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
jeffgtx : The battery was dead for hours. The car went without a battery for days maybe weeks when it was having work done. I suspect something happened as the battery died that jolted the receiver memory somehow. I guess I should worry that it might be in worse shape than just suffering from memory loss.
Very possible. Did you jump start the car, or just charge the battery until it was able to do it ? Jump starting has been known to cause odd issues.

I am still bothered by the trunk light running the battery down.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks JR for pointing this out...

Quote:
So i was a day late hooking up the battery tender this weekend, thanks in part to the trunk lid not closing all the way and the light staying on all night.

Ahem. From another thread...

Quote:
For the first time in the history of solstice forum, soup isn't entirely correct.

Yes the power remains on, but only for the 10-15 minutes that the car keeps accessory power on. Then it goes into battery save mode and shuts it off.
Ohhhh, BAZINGA!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Oh don't start soup!! I was wrong way before and many times. My comment was about the mirror. So there.

You and your pristine image had been infallible until that one little slip up and the only reason I said it was because I had to disagree with you but I wanted it known that it was with all due respect to a valued contributor and a known source if excellent info.

So take the compliment, leave me alone and go work on your next awesome jealousy inspiring project that most if us couldn't even imagine let alone execute!

As for the trunk light, I have no evidence it was in but I find it odd that the battery died overnight and the only thing was that the trunk didn't latch all the way.

I didn't jump the car. I never tried to start it before this or since it charged back up. Just all of a sudden no juice.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Oh... don't talk to ME about jealousy... Mr. "I got to build my own V8"!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Children, children, children. Don't make me stop this car to separate you .....

Does your battery tender monitor the battery, and give you a warning if there is a problem ? If so, has it ever indicated any battery issues ?

Was the battery completely dead ? Or just too weak to start the car ? What were the symptoms ?

Do you always use a tender ? How long has the car sat recently without one plugged into it ? How old is the battery ?

Depending on the background, I would be inclined to leave the car overnight without the tender (being sure that the trunk light is off) and see what happens.

Judy's Saab has an intermittent problem that will kill the battery overnight. It is very random, and so far the best I can surmise is that the cooling fan is coming on when it shouldn't. We put it on a tender whenever she parks it, and sometimes the indicator light will be blinking, indicating what the charger thinks is a bad battery, but is most likely the phantom discharge.

I miss the days when turning off the key actually turned off the car.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
I miss the days when turning off the key actually turned off the car.
Amen to that. I just don't understand pulling into my garage in daylight, turning off the car and having the headlights turn on . . . (A different GM automobile than the Solstice).

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

That's exit lighting, usually programmable to turn off depending in the car. It's to light up a dark area so you can see your mugger as you got out.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.