Battery went dead: neither RKE fob works - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)

Speaking as someone who has seen this problem several times with cars I have rebuilt, the solution is the dealer. Take a printed copy of the above bulletin and it should be a NO Charge procedure with a little insistence. This problem only exist on 08 models. With the reprogram of the updated software to the RCDLR it will hold the programing no matter how long the battery is dead. JR is correct in that the RCDLR will stay active for a short period with the existing programing. One other ponit to add, if you have different tires and want to use a different pressure setting before the TPMS report low pressure you can have them reset that to your preference. Also make sure you take all remotes when you have this done as it will disable any that do not get the new programing. Hope all this helps the procedure usually takes about 35 min.
Hoosier GXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Does your battery tender monitor the battery, and give you a warning if there is a problem ? If so, has it ever indicated any battery issues ?

Was the battery completely dead ? Or just too weak to start the car ? What were the symptoms ?

Do you always use a tender ? How long has the car sat recently without one plugged into it ? How old is the battery ?

Depending on the background, I would be inclined to leave the car overnight without the tender (being sure that the trunk light is off) and see what happens.

Judy's Saab has an intermittent problem that will kill the battery overnight. It is very random, and so far the best I can surmise is that the cooling fan is coming on when it shouldn't. We put it on a tender whenever she parks it, and sometimes the indicator light will be blinking, indicating what the charger thinks is a bad battery, but is most likely the phantom discharge.

I miss the days when turning off the key actually turned off the car.

This is the first time the car has been hooked up to the tender. like i say, a day late.

it was completely dead. the car wouldn't do anything or even acknowledge the door was opened.

the car had been through a lot of me tinkering without starting it, but it never showed any issues until the next morning. it opened the trunk once and that was it.

that all the detail i have on it.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

If a key FOB no longer works properly, having it looked at by the dealership is recommended. Every FOB has a signal to match the vehicle and must be programmed by GM Techs. Please keep us posted and send a PM if you have any issues regarding repairs. If you send a PM, please include the VIN#, your contact information, and situation. I hope this is resolved quickly.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Last edited by GMCustomerSvc; 11-14-2012 at 11:07 AM.
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

While pursuing an engine warranty repair, I was able to add in this TSB to resolve exactly the same set of problems: low-battery condition caused crazy computer reboots, unpredictable behavior, and then (after changing the battery), the TPMS and key fobs eventually--not suddenly--stopped working. The module was so confused that it didn't even register TPMS as an option in the GM DIC choices despite the fuse showing a completed circuit from power distribution.

This sort of module "wake up" requires at least a Tech2 device to survey, though the dealer I went to mentioned having used a direct serial connection after initial problems getting the module to work. Though they never referred to it as such, all these features and more are handled by the OnStar box. The flash update was also applied.

As for "free", I agree it should be since this is a corrective measure against a programming flaw and I'm out just under $100 for the diagnostics/flash work that the dealer performed. Since it's not the sort of thing GM will reimburse them for, I'm okay having paid and knowing that my car's better protected from such problems in the future. I think in the end they mildly undercharged me for such a shop service, perhaps because I was able to tie it so solidly to the TSB.

Thanks, all.

-Jeff
ToxicGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #20 (permalink)

Wait, this is interesting... what features are handled by the OnStar box?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #21 (permalink)

Perhaps I'm speculating too much. A few observations made me think that they're one in the same:
  • Pulling the OnStar fuse disables TPMS
  • Circuit routing seems to tie these together
  • OnStar can be remotely controlled to unlock/lock car doors, monitor car health and other signs of possible road hazards (low tire pressure), alarm, etc.
There was also some dialogue I recall a while back regarding the consequences of removing the OnStar equipment.

In my case, I couldn't use my fobs, TPMS, or alarm. Didn't test anything further, so it might just be one module able to talk to another.

-Jeff
ToxicGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Ahhh, then no. OnStar does the remote functions and reporting status by 'talking' to the BCM over the GMLAN - not directly itself. The OnStar box does share a fuse (#58) with the Remote Keyless Entry receiver - probably because they are both located near each other on the back wall - but not TPMS. Maybe you were confused there?

EDIT: Unless of course the RKE receiver also receives the TPMS signals too. That could be - I've never thought about the TPMS receiver before.

EDIT2: Actually this makes sense. Probably why there was a TSB that covered failure of both TPMS and Remote Fob operation - because they were part of the same module. The mists are now clearing .... hmmm.

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 03-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.
TomatoSoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Soup. Yes the rke module talks to the fobs and the tpms sensors.

Please note the complete lack of telling you to search first before posting despite my crass sense of humor screaming inside my brain to do so.

As for OnStar, think of it simply as a wireless modem between your car and you/your smartphone.
It gets the data from the car and sends it to OnStar and then sends you a report etc. or it gets a remote command to the appropriate module.

The only feature I would credit it with controlling is the voice recognition/ Bluetooth. That's in the OnStar box.

Last edited by jeffgtx; 03-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.
jeffgtx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgtx View Post
Soup. Yes the rke module talks to the fobs and the tpms sensors.

Please note the complete lack of telling you to search first before posting despite my crass sense of humor screaming inside my brain to do so.
Wel... actuallllllly.... (all knowing one) I did do a search and didn't find anything definitive. Please, please, I beg of you, point me to such a statement. I will be your slave forever (PPPpththtptptpththpt)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Ahem. And I quote from the tsb.

Quote:
• The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

• The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.
And I quote from the Internet

Gm forum rke info

And how you missed this is beyond me???

Rke and tpms is in the same module
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #26 (permalink)

Dang - how I missed that last one, I'll never know.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

The battery on my 2008 ran down after sitting for a week, not exactly sure why it did (less than 2 yrs old) but I found myself in this situation. Neither RKE fob worked and couldn't relearn the TPMS. The dealer did the TSB fix, but still charged me $99 for the fob programming. It was stated that a TSB is not the same as a factory recall, so it was not a free fix. Other people's results with dealerships may vary. I just know I'm happy to be able to lock, unlock, and open trunk again from the fobs.

-Bob Lutz
12_month_wait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

we're all guilty of taking the little things for granted. Glad you got it fixed.
Kicker 10in Comp RT Sub & Punch 850.2 Bass Amp
8in Antenna, Chrome Stem caps and Tinted Windows.
2006 Sly NA
Bone stock except for 8in antenna:)
Charlie

I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport.
Hank Hill
TX08manualGXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

My GXP batt went south due to winter hibernation and of course I "thought" about a trickle charger but due to my negligence, procrastination in realizing just how fragile CPU's, ECM's, EMS's, etc, etc REALLY are I am at the crossroads of (I hate this part)dealer intervention, (please excuse me while I barf) ....or.....living w/o RKE/TPM.
I sued GM about the noisy cams on my 2011 Equinox and won (got some $$ outta them but still noisy) but that was a legal warranty issue. If there is, in fact, a TSB on the RKE/TPM on low voltage I could sue and win.
If anybody has any info so I can trace liability back to the GM b..t..ds this US Paratrooper Vet would be quintessentially grateful. 82nd Airborne 1957/1960.
gardagunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 PM   #30 (permalink)

Mine did it too this year. Boooo

But.... Mines a 2007. So very interested in how I'm gonna resolve this matter

Last edited by NightwingII; 03-31-2014 at 09:49 PM.
NightwingII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.