Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Belt slips in rain

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bluesulfur 
#1 ·
Hi, there.

This last month has rained a lot and when driving my solstice 2008 2.4L accross the water, when the water enters from below the hood, it makes a noise, like a slipping band, with a significant loss of power. This last for 2-3 seconds.

Is this normal? Can anything be done to prevent this slipping?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. :)

Water can definitely cause a belt to slip, but the loss of power is a bit odd, and how do you notice the loss of power? I wouldn't think that you'd be able to detect a loss of power as you gingerly drove through a 12" deep pond...

Are you by any chance fording water that's deeper than the door sills?

If the serpentine belt is somewhat old, it can become a bit smooth, and you can try replacing it; the fresh clean surface of the new serpentine belt may grip the pulleys better, and that can quiet the belts. Back in the old days, when most belts were of the V-grove variety, we used to use belt dressing sprays, but I don't think you would want to try that on the serpentine belt...

Now, with an appropriately stiff shift in a manual, you can get the belt to chirp as the accessories keep spinning for a fraction of a second at the higher pre-shift RPM while they slow down to the new lower post-shift RPMs, but I'm going to assume that you're not talking about that extreme case... ;)

Again, I am curious about how deep the water is and under what conditions you notice the loss of power... Are you referring to the very large drag that is induced by running through deep water at speed on the freeway or highway at speeds above about 15 mph? The results can be pretty dramatic (especially at 50-60 mph), and it could feel like a loss of power if the puddle is entered by both front wheels. If the puddle is only under one side of the vehicle, then the yaw moment can be quite a handful to correct for and can nearly twist the steering wheel out of your hands...

So do tell.

#3 · (Edited)
Ive had the exact same problem. the water doesnt have to be deep at all just enough to cause a noticable wave around the front finders I would say at least 2". Like he said its sounds like the belt slipping but with power loss as if the clutch was slipping at the same time. I havent had any kind of powertrain problems or anything of the sort. I havent really thought anything about it much cause it will only happen once after you drive through a puddle and thats it. Mine has only done it at slow speeds around 15 to 20 mph. I also have an 08 so I dont think my belt is worn out and the power loss is definitly not because of driving through the water because the power loss generally happens after i drive through the puddle (plus i could tell the difference). Also its not because of hard shifting just casual driving.

#5 ·
Ok. Yesterday it rained again and I had to cross the city with all this rain. It was a 30 mile ride, more or less.

What I noticed was this:

Whenever I hit some stalled water (I don't know how deep it was, maybe 2" aprox. ?) a second or two later the band slips and the power loss feels like if the clutch is being half way, maybe related to the slipage and energy transfer or something like it.

The new thing I noticed is that it happened mostly when the water was on the right front wheel, and occasionally whith the left wheel.

It's a pretty long drive to get from work to home so, yes, I was going fast, like 40mph and in the deepest parts of the ride (maybe 4-5") like 10mph without any other incidents (no water inside the car, or inside the escape, or anything).

What I'm wondering is if something that covers the car fall down, or it is normal for that to happen? Can anything be done?

Previously, with a flooding rain from a hurricane (at least I point it to) the electric motor that moves the radiator fan start to make noises two weeks after and I had to change it... I don't want it to happen again, or something worse.

#6 ·
Old thread. But ill ask.

So my cars been making a squealing noise Usually when the car is cold. But once it warms up it tends to go away. But at times the car is at 185. and it can do the noise then goes away.
Sounds like the noise is coming from passenger side. i belive could be power stering belt. I checked it belt seems fine. but in the center ridge does have a crack.
Im going to replace It see if it fixes issue, so minus well change the drive belt also. But i wanted to know if brand is same or actually diff. At auto zone (duralast) for both its about 25. At the dealer (gm brand) its around 55.
Input would be helpful if running belt from autozone or gm. Want to know if its even work the extra $30.

Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.