Broken door handle - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Broken door handle

I parked my car tonight and tried to open the driver side door but it would not open. I pulled harder on the handle and it suddenly gave way and now it just swings back and forth uselessly. The driver side door will no longer open from within. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I still cannot open the door from within. I've been to the dealer twice--the first time they looked at it and said they had to order a part. The second time I went they said the wrong part came. Now they are telling me that the entire door panel needs to be replaced and they are scouring the country for one. They told me that numerous people across the country are unable to open the car door from within due to this defect. Is anyone else experiencing this crap? I've only had the car for a little over a month and already this is happening.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMood
I haven't had that problem, and I haven't heard of it before either. There is usually a few rods going between the door catch, outside handle, inside handle and the lock cylinder. It really sounds like a rod behind the door panel came loose and fell out. Maybe one of the plastic clips that connects the rods to the various parts broke.

I can't see why the door panel needs to be replaced, but I've never looked back there. I think it was tweety who had the door panel off and was messing around with the lock mechanism to get the doors to auto-unlock. He could probably shed some more light on the issue and how the door mechanism works.
#4796: Mysterious, Power, Convenience, LSD, Polished Aluminium.
JimmyMood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
PAO

Send a message via Yahoo to PAO
I agree...seems to be the connector rod again....dont see a need to replace the door panel.......seems we are finding various levels of competence associated with the service departments at dealerships around the country
VIN #4744, Cool, Deposit 5-28-05, Delivery 12-10-05, Traded 12-18-10
VA/MD/DC Solstice Club

2006 Nationals Kansas City, KS
2007 Nationals Nashville, TN
2007 TOTD
2008 TOTD
2008 SE Regional Lexington, KY
2009 SE Regional Myrtle Beach, SC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NASSOA
Founding Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community
Other Cars: 04 Chevy Malibu Maxx, 09 Cadillac CTS, 11 Subaru Outback
PAO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not an expert by any stretch but I have had the door panels off a lot.
There is a rod that goes from the key tumbler to the door actuator motor.
The outside door handle shares this rod.
There is a rod that runs from the manual pull (chromies).
There is a bicycle cable that runs from the inside door pull to the actuator.
The only thing that could possibly come off or loose would be at the inner door pull end. GM has used a zip tie to hold it in place and sometimes they come off. Nothing really to break. If you pull too hard then it would pop off. The handle itself is simply a lever as you see it inside.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

The dealer told me that the cable slides through a lug nut of some sort and on my driver side door it is the wrong size. The lug nuts aren't available separately, apparently, so the entire door panel must be replaced. This is annoying.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lug nut? Um, no.
The cable end that is having the trouble has a plastic insert slide over it. I call it a tang but basically it's a male piece that has a specific shape that guides it and snaps into place on the female piece which is located on the door panel. This is where on most of our machines they (GM) has used the zip tie to assist it in the snapping process.
My best guess is that they can't keep it snapped in place or someone broke it trying to force it.
Kind of clueless as to why to replace the whole unit. Another wild guess is that they will send your panel back and fix it only to put it back in action again somewhere else down the line.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety
Lug nut? Um, no.
The cable end that is having the trouble has a plastic insert slide over it. I call it a tang but basically it's a male piece that has a specific shape that guides it and snaps into place on the female piece which is located on the door panel. This is where on most of our machines they (GM) has used the zip tie to assist it in the snapping process.
My best guess is that they can't keep it snapped in place or someone broke it trying to force it.
Kind of clueless as to why to replace the whole unit. Another wild guess is that they will send your panel back and fix it only to put it back in action again somewhere else down the line.
Unless the part broken is the female piece (highlighted above) which would then make sense.
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
Critterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RedHarleyCCGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RedHarleyCCGirl
broken door handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I parked my car tonight and tried to open the driver side door but it would not open. I pulled harder on the handle and it suddenly gave way and now it just swings back and forth uselessly. The driver side door will no longer open from within. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
I just experienced this last Friday a week ago. The driver side would NOT open but the passenger side would. I had to roll the window down and open it from the outside. I took it in to the dealer and they had to take the door off! There was a loose cable and they fixed it in less than a half hour... Phew!

CCGIRL Aggressive/Ebony leather delivered on 2/25/06

Manual shift, Premium Package, Anti-Lock brakes, XM w/Monsoon, A/C, 18" Alum. wheels, 6-disc CD changer with MP3, Convenience Package, Power Package, & LTD Slip Differential

See my SUPER LOW plates!
RedHarleyCCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2006, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Drivers Door !

Ok well I havn't been taking steroids, but when I hit the door open button on my alarm last night , and then reached down to open the drivers side door, and the whole handle unit ripped right out of the door, looks like the 2 pieces that sandwhich it together are held by 2 screws in plastic, and that is what broke will post pic asap, and off to dealer to get fixed, as now door handle just hangs off car..
ERIC&JEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

YEah i have a sky and i noticed that it looks a little sloppy made...wish they made the parts that are used more a little more reliable i hope i dont find this problem
bigd2114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Another broken handle

Well, yet another driver's inside door handle has started to go.

I am not in the bad shape of others but, 2 days ago went to get out and
I heard a cracking sound.

Now every time I open the door I hear the handle making the same cracking sound.

Dealer took me right in the next evening after my work and took a look.

At first they said "just the door rod alignment".

When I went to get the car after they called, they said "we need to order
a whole new door panel".

That's OK by me, but not clear how long to get it?

The other thing that may suck is I added little chromes. I hope they don't
need to replace the locking rod, just the door panel. They said they will do
their best if need be to get the chrome off.

Oh well!

Later!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bought_It

The other thing that may suck is I added little chromes. I hope they don't
need to replace the locking rod, just the door panel. They said they will do
their best if need be to get the chrome off.

Oh well!

Later!
If they need to replace the locking rod, just ask to take the whole rod w/ installed little chromie home. You should be able to get the chromie off if you heat it up to loosen the loctite first.
Norms fiberglass rear diffuser, Smoked Headlights, Opel GT antenna, splash guards, custom illuminated Wind Restrictor, JPM leather visor covers, elbow pads and custom embroidered, leather covered center console.
Email me if you are interested in joining the Mid-Atlantic Solstice Sky Club (MASSC) for NJ, NY, PA, DE and MDdscheneck@msn.com
dengel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.