Code P0011 Camshaft Position actuator - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Code P0011 Camshaft Position actuator

Any one have this code come up. (Camshaft Position system actuator bank1 timing over-advance.) and what was replaced.

Don
donbmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

#118042 11/18/06 GXP Mean Darkside loaded wo On-Star
MODS: ED IC Pipes, Dejon IC, Magnaflow Catback

#1922 12/03/05
Mysterious Steel/Sand w/ 6-Disc Monsoon
Conv., Pwr & Premium Pkgs A/C LSD Carpet Mats
MODS: GM CAI & CATBAck
Dover DE

Friend me on FB
JustMike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pontiac builds excitement...
Saturn has rethought it's image...
The time has come for the enthusiasts...

NASSOA
Founding Member - Northeast

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JustMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Some of the first checks for this DTC "family" (DTC P0010, P0011, P0013, or P0014) is to check the oil. It is also something an owner could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Solstice Service Manual
Circuit/System Verification
1. Ensure the vehicle has the proper oil viscosity.
2. Observe the engine oil level. The engine oil level should be within the operating range.

Circuit/System Testing

5. Determine that the vehicle has the correct engine oil. Refer to Service and Appearance Care in the owner's manual.

⇒ If the engine oil life system monitor displays the Change Oil Soon message, the engine oil is more than one year old, contains additives, or is not the correct viscosity, change the oil.
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, it’s attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sol_Man
I just had that code donbmw. I have the 36k/3yr warranty and just before I hit 36K miles, I threw a "P0014" code. The difference between a P0014 and a P0111 is that one is bank A(or 1) and one is bank B (or 2). I was told that the ECM was reprogrammed to correct the problem.

About 4K miles later, I threw the "P0011" code. I argued that the two codes were related after initially being told that I would have to pay for it out of pocket. I was told that it was some kind of camshaft solenoid and would cost about $175 for the part and labor.

I've not put enough miles on the car since repairs to know if it is indeed fixed but the gas mileage has gone up 1 or 2 miles per gallon. Of course, I've been driving a little more conservatively lately.

The P0011 occured when the fuel tank was low. I was in 5th gear, traveling about 45 mph and gave the car very slight acceleration. The P014 happened with slight acceleration as well.

I suspect that it could be caused by moisture in the fuel or a clogged fuel filter.

Good luck!
Sol_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Man
I suspect that it could be caused by moisture in the fuel or a clogged fuel filter.
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP).

Since this is an internal engine part and the hydraulic medium is engine oil, would hope it is not releated to moisture in your fuel.

Also in GM Talk here are the DTC definitions;
Quote:
DTC Descriptors
DTC P0010: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

DTC P0011: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance

DTC P0013: Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

DTC P0014: Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance
Quote:
Conditions for Running the DTC

P0010 and P0013
The engine is running.

P0011 and P0014
• The engine speed is more than 1,350 RPM.

• The engine control module (ECM) has enabled the CMP actuator.

• The system voltage is more than 11 volts.

• DTC P0011 and P0014 run continuously when the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
P0010 and P0013
The ECM detects an open, short to ground, or a short to voltage on the high control circuit or an open on the low reference circuit for more than 0.25 second.

P0011 and P0014
• The control module has enabled the CMP actuator.

• The difference between the desired CMP actuator angle and the actual CMP actuator angle is more than 6 degrees.

• The CMP actuator is steady for 3 seconds.

• The condition is present for 13.5 seconds.
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, it’s attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I did have the oil change about 200 miles ago when The car was at the dealer for the recall. The car is at my normal mechanic. Did check on the oil that was put in at dealer they said it was 5w30. My mechanic as check some filters that are in line and some of the other test. Cleared code and went for a spin. At 79 miles in this spin the light came back on with the same code. I also can not see a moisture in fuel system could cause this.

Don
donbmw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you need any Solstice OEM parts, please look no further than
Buy-OEM-Parts.com we have the best prices for the true GM parts you are looking for.
Thanks
oemparts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sol_Man
My thinking was that a possible missfire condition possibly due to moisture in the gas from condensation could cause the timing to be off.

From what I've read, these codes are caused by:

1)Incorrect camshaft timing
2)VCT solenoid valve stuck open or continuous oil flow to piston chamber
3)Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit

My Pontiac shop determined that it was item number 2, the solenoid valve.

You just made me go check my oil level, Small Dealer. It was changed recently, between the two codes. I always use synthetic, change the oil way before it's needed, and check the level after it's been changed. I went to a different location to have it done last time and didn't check the level afterwards. Sure enough it looks a little overfilled, possibly half a quart still. No telling if and how much may have been diverted into the pistons for removal. Checking the oil level could possibly have saved me a trip to the shop. I won't go cheap again and take it back to Wally World, even if it is $15 cheaper.

Last edited by Sol_Man; 07-16-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Sol_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Range Sol

Location: New Diff, so no leaks; Brake clunk back, engine toast, but who cares?
Quote:
Originally Posted by donbmw View Post
Any one have this code come up. (Camshaft Position system actuator bank1 timing over-advance.) and what was replaced.

Don
I just had it happen this past weekend, CEL on, just back from the dealer, it was a P0011. If it comes on again, then they recommended replacing the actuator, part #12628347. Mine occurred just driving down the road, in 5th gear, doing nothing special. Oil life is still over 50%.

06 NA...106k miles...blowing M1 out the tailpipe, engine is toast.
08 GXP...38k miles...Gray today, gone tomorrow?

Team Solstice 2006 & 2008

2012: DellsDinner...Platteville..PVGP...Bluffs '12...Dells 7..RR12

2011: DellsDinner..Cherokee Chase..Platteville..Bluffs '11...Door VI...Dells VI..

Runs/Meets in '06: 13 '07: 13 '08: 7 '09: 9 '10: 9 11: 6
Aspenrose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

My car is at the dealers now with a code that indicated something about cam shaft position on the exhaust valve. I think it was PO17.

They are replacing the cam shaft actuator. I have no idea what that is but I sure hope it solves the problem. Waiting for parts to be shipped from Michigan. Meanwhile I am driving a Chevy Cobolt. Wow, what a piece of junk. I miss my "time bandit"

Chuck

I hang out on the kappaperformance forum
chuckdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Boca_SLY
U had it last month and the actuator was replaced which also cured an engine miss that had been going in for 20,000 miles. It had been bad all along but did not throw a p0011 code untl last month. A dealer in Florida had rplaced a couple of injectors, both o2 sensors, catalytic converter, reprogramed the ECM.

I took it to a dealer in Newport News, VA and they sad I had no VVT. Once the replace the actuator the car runs like the day I got it. By the way. I had 35,500 on it when it threw the code.
Sly - steel & sand
Chrome wheels - loaded
Boca_SLY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just threw the P0011 code. Any idea of the cost to replace the Actuator?

Cool/AC/LSD/Power/Conv./Ebony Leather/Monsoon/6 CD,MP3/XM/Polished Weels/Mats/Stubby Antenna/KappaShield/Lil Chromies/CAI/Shorty Headers/ECM Tune/Sprint Booster
SOL588 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Man View Post
My thinking was that a possible missfire condition possibly due to moisture in the gas from condensation could cause the timing to be off.

From what I've read, these codes are caused by:

1)Incorrect camshaft timing
2)VCT solenoid valve stuck open or continuous oil flow to piston chamber
3)Camshaft advance mechanism binding, or faulty VCT unit

My Pontiac shop determined that it was item number 2, the solenoid valve.

You just made me go check my oil level, Small Dealer. It was changed recently, between the two codes. I always use synthetic, change the oil way before it's needed, and check the level after it's been changed. I went to a different location to have it done last time and didn't check the level afterwards. Sure enough it looks a little overfilled, possibly half a quart still. No telling if and how much may have been diverted into the pistons for removal. Checking the oil level could possibly have saved me a trip to the shop. I won't go cheap again and take it back to Wally World, even if it is $15 cheaper.

Wally World?

I took my 94 S-10 to the Chevy Dealer in Rochester, NY and told them to go over the car for anything that looks like it needs to be repaired before I took it to Florida. They showed me all of the loose Joints under the front-end, etc., etc.; However, since I never allow anyone to change my oil and did not have time, I said change the oil too.

Well, after driving from Rochester, NY down thru the middle of WV, I took a break and checked my oil after 10 minutes or so. OH MH GAWD, Mr. Goodrench overfilled my car by a quart.

I won't make that mistake again!
LSUBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm getting a P0014 error code. Question: which actuator is this coming from and where is its location? Also, anyone have the part#?
calsolstice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Happily In The Club

After washing the car and heading out for a drive the "Check Engine" light came on solid. I thought maybe I got something wet during the washing (which is mentioned in the owners manual as a possible cause for the check engine light) or that maybe the gas cap wasn't securely fastened (which has caused this before). Turns out the "EXT CMP Solenoid Actuator (Valve)" part number 12628348 needed to be replaced (covered under the extended warranty). That seems to have resolved the issue. Just posting to add to the body of knowledge on this subject.

Mina

Envious / Ebony Leather / Manual Transmission / Polished Wheels
All Options Except: On-Star, Premium Headliner, 6 CD Changer

6" Antenna, Door Sills, Fujita CAI, Kappashield, License Plate Frame, 'Lil Chromies, Seat Belt Extenders, reBAR Reinforcement, Splash Guards, Valve Stem Caps, Vector ECM Tune

Other Vehicles: '72 Opel GT, '99 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS, '09 Pontiac G8 GT
newman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.