DIC:: SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

DIC:: SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone?

I have a 2006 NA Solstice (now DDM SC'ed) with 58000+ kilometres and had the Air Bag idiot light come on along with the "Service Air Bag" message on the DIC.

This happened when I went over some extremely rough paved roads on a run this weekend. The idiot light and message on DIC has stayed on now for the last 5 days. I am assuming this is a electrical issue somewhere with the mulitple of sensors.

As I am afraid to touch this circuit, I will taking in for service Monday.

Curious if this has this happened to anyone?

SSOOO Facebook Group

2006 Solstice - DDMWorks [Stage II Supercharger, Race Backbone, Powder Coated Valve Cover, Coilcover, A-Pillar Gauge Pod & Header Heat Shield Blanket], Privat Gassen wheels (8.5"F & 9.5"R) w/245/40ZR19 (F) and 255/40ZR19 (R) Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, Solo [SQR2 Exhaust & High Flow Cat], Eibach Pro springs, VDO Gauges, Razzi wing, JPM [Shifter, Centre console & Door pads], Tint*Master Tint, Kappasphere [KappaShield, KappaROO Pouches & KappaATTIC], Kuda Cell Mount
jackl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just take off the battery cable to re set the system.
Suspension-Check
Brakes-Check
Seats-Check
Paint-Check
compression is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've seen posts on this about the Passenger seat sensor control unit failing (under the seat). You could check the contacts - maybe something worked loose over the bumps?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I've seen posts on this about the Passenger seat sensor control unit failing (under the seat). You could check the contacts - maybe something worked loose over the bumps?
My passenger seat sensor has been replaced twice. The second time it was out of warranty but the dealer replaced it for free anyway.
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

My passenger sensor also failed after a bumpy road. Warranty covered it.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ive had the passenger presence sensor go out on mine,ive also had the clock spring go out in the steering wheel short out twice. The first time it happened it lost all controls on the wheel, the second time(at 60mph in a light rain) the horn started blowing and before i could find a place to pull off and unplug the horn the airbag light flashed twice and the drivers bag deployed. Very exciting. Get the car scanned with a Tech II, don't take the airbag system lightly.
Darkstar140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine is going to the dealer tomorrow for the airbag light in addition to the check engine. They are unrelated as the check engine has been coming on and off for a while, and is the O2 sensor (Dashawk shows the same code when O2 sensor was replaced in my Acadia).

Oh, and the wheel well is cracked in two spots by the screws the used to secure it so I'm going to see if I can get that replaced as well. Hopefully all under warranty since it's a 2008.

2008 GXP picked-up 9/30/08
Cool with Ebony/red stitching, manual, loaded - everything except 6 changer CD.
PubliusE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Confirming it was the passenger seat sensor - kit has been ordered and will be installed this week. My sol is now out of warranty. Kit is approx $170.

Thanks for the information in the thread guys!

SSOOO Facebook Group

2006 Solstice - DDMWorks [Stage II Supercharger, Race Backbone, Powder Coated Valve Cover, Coilcover, A-Pillar Gauge Pod & Header Heat Shield Blanket], Privat Gassen wheels (8.5"F & 9.5"R) w/245/40ZR19 (F) and 255/40ZR19 (R) Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, Solo [SQR2 Exhaust & High Flow Cat], Eibach Pro springs, VDO Gauges, Razzi wing, JPM [Shifter, Centre console & Door pads], Tint*Master Tint, Kappasphere [KappaShield, KappaROO Pouches & KappaATTIC], Kuda Cell Mount

Last edited by jackl; 06-19-2011 at 07:30 PM.
jackl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dealer told me my light was caused by the ribbon cable for the steering wheel airbag. I'll pick up the car tomorrow. Anyone else have the same problem?

2008 GXP picked-up 9/30/08
Cool with Ebony/red stitching, manual, loaded - everything except 6 changer CD.
PubliusE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

19124219 kit for airbag passenger side. Is it possible to replace yourself. A guy on the sky forum paid 600 for labor and 350 for part. gmpartsdirect has the kit for $254.
fishburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

hello, i am from Greece and i have a solstice GXP 07. i have the same problem. service airbag on DIC and passenger airbag always off. the biggest problem is that here in Greece there is no dealer for Pontiac and i haven't found someone who can read airbag codes to find from where it is the problem. i can't just order a sensor and pay so much without knowing if THIS is the problem. If anyone can help me please.......
gatza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

gatza, here is a link you should find helpful. http://sm.gpona.com:9001/si/home.do
glake89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

connection problem with this link. maybe invalid. just tell me what to search for? a solution that may help??????????
gatza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's a link to GM service manual where you could study the diagnostics and might be able to find a work-around for your problem.
glake89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Has anyone orders the 19124219 kit and installed it themselves? Will the car recognize the new part?
fishburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.