DIC:: SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone? - Page 6 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #76 (permalink)

Another one bites the dust!! DIC Service Air Bag and passenger air bag light is "OFF". Came on last week when my son sat in the pass. seat. Has not turned off.
If any of you have checked lately, the price has gone up for the kit From what I have priced out it is going to be $400 just for the kit.
Do we know if the $119 SPECIAL is still an option???
Does anyone have a better price than GM Part Online?
They are at $400.

Last edited by oferrelsgarage; 01-17-2013 at 04:40 PM.
oferrelsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #77 (permalink)

TIME FOR ACTION !

Every time I see another owner complain of this problem it just infuriates me. If the fix for this problem was cheaper I guess it wouldn't matter so much, but the cost is HIGH. Also, for every person who is online and reports this defect, there must be hundreds and hundreds more who don't know about this forum and have the same problem.
I am asking all of you who have this problem (or had this problem and fixed it) to join myself and several others who have already done so, to file a complaint with the National Highway and Traffic Administration. The 'how to' follows:

Before starting you MUST have your VIN # handy.

Go to the following website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on "Begin Online Form" in the 'Vehicle Complaint' box.
In Box 1, enter your VIN number and pick your car from the drop-down list.
In Box 2, enter the date when you first noticed the problem, mileage, and speed (if any) In the 'Affected Part' box, enter "AIR BAGS"

Below that there is a box to describe the problem. Following is what I wrote; feel free to use any or all of it as it pertains to your circumstance.

The air bag sensor in my vehicle failed shortly (2 mos) after its 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty expired. Any passenger in the car faces added risk if an accident were to occur. It is my understanding that the owner's cost to fix this item is prohibitive ($500 - $800), and that the early failure of this part is somewhat common for this vehicle.

After this, drop down to enter contact info, then click on 'Verify Your Entries'. This will verify that the form was filled out correctly. If not you can make changes.
If everything is OK, click on 'Submit Complaint'.

DONE!!

If we all act together as a community perhaps we can persuade action (with a nudge from the NHTSA) on the part of GM to help fix this commonly defective part.

Thank you all for the time spent reading this, and I hope those of you out there affected will follow through.

Last edited by TomShadow; 01-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.
TomShadow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #78 (permalink)

DIC:: SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone?

I suggested maybe doing this earlier but you did the homework and made it easier for us all.
Bravo to you sir!

I agree and will be doing just this. Especially as I hear that sometimes a "new" one may still have the same error meaning that either old stock is still around or perhaps it was never addressed and fixed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #79 (permalink)

Thanks, guys, for promoting a way to fight back. I just filled out a complaint and also added the necessity for a significantly expensive device to divine the source of the problem and quoted literature which warns that not replacing the unit could lead to arbitrary inflation or risk of injury to a vehicle occupant.

At first, I was sheepish about this, but then realized that if GM can increase sales and win awards for it's safety features only to put us or our passengers at risk with faulty safety designs, then we don't owe them silence. This wouldn't be tolerated if the car came out of China.

-Jeff
ToxicGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #80 (permalink)

I just filed my complaint, I hope things change and they offer to fix for free.
STEREO: ALPINE SPS-610C, PRECISION POWER 8"
DEBADGED
A.E.M: COLD AIR INTAKE
MAGNAFLOW: DUAL EXHAUST
GXP PARTS: BUMPER, SPOILER, FULL FE3 SUSPENSION
EIBACH SPRINGS: SPORT LINE
KAPPASPHERE: REBAR
DDMWORKS: RACE BACK BONE
NORMS FIBERGLASS: DUAL REAR DIFFUSER
ASAP.DIGITAL.IMAGING: SLOTTED BACK UP LIGHTS,SIDEMARKERS,THRID BRAKE LIGHT,TRANSFORMER OVERLAYS
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community.
SOLSTICE-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #81 (permalink)

Filed one as well. After having this done once after recently taking home my car and to have it fail one month later, I would rather not have to designate a day out of each month to visit the dealer for airbag repair.

I'd be surprised if GM actually did anything, considering the car is out of production and this may require manufacturing a new component, but we can only hope if enough members bring this to light maybe results will follow. It reminds me of the Ford Pinto decision.

Parts for Sale -> http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...trictor-87330/

2008 Mysterious Solstice GXP- 40,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, Gmpp intake, Magnaflow Catback, 18" Vauxhall VXR wheels, B&G springs, h1 projector retrofit, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, jvc touchscreen, jpm stainless shifter, leather wrapped and stitched center console.
silverfox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #82 (permalink)

SF: On the bright side GM should do the second replacement of the air bag sensor on their dime. Because the one they put in on your dime should have had a 12 month warranty.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #83 (permalink)

Fortunately I am still covered under the certified warranty from when I bought the car. The first sensor failed one month after taking the car home and again now, one month later. I have 12 months, 12,000 mile certified warranty, hopefully this can be resolved, but that's good to know the part is covered as well. I wasn't aware of that.

Parts for Sale -> http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...trictor-87330/

2008 Mysterious Solstice GXP- 40,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, Gmpp intake, Magnaflow Catback, 18" Vauxhall VXR wheels, B&G springs, h1 projector retrofit, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, jvc touchscreen, jpm stainless shifter, leather wrapped and stitched center console.
silverfox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #84 (permalink)

Same issue here. It is annoying i just learned to drive with it on. My started at about 29000
Did submit the complaint form.
Hope someone can take a look at all our complaints and do actually get it repaired for free.
Will save most a few hundred $.
Bluesulfur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #85 (permalink)

Thanks to those of you who have submitted complaints. Hopefully they will be a stepping stone to having GM help us in fixing this defective part.
ALSO NEED MORE HELP!
Does anyone here know how to cross-post my earlier post (#77) to other forums, such as the Sky forum and others that I don't know about? If anyone can do this for me I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again; and lets keep this 'movement' going.
TomShadow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #86 (permalink)

This issue has been documented for GM. If you plan to have it looked at by a dealership, please let us know in PM with your VIN, name, contact information, dealership, situation, and current mileage. I can not guarantee special coverage but it will be on file in a GM case#. I hope everyone is well considering.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #87 (permalink)

DIC:: SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerSvc View Post
This issue has been documented for GM. If you plan to have it looked at by a dealership, please let us know in PM with your VIN, name, contact information, dealership, situation, and current mileage. I can not guarantee special coverage but it will be on file in a GM case#. I hope everyone is well considering.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
Matt,

I'm not sure what you mean by Documented for GM, and how that could literally help us in any way. It probably means that they are aware of the "issue" and will evaluate on a case by case basis and of course assume no liability or stipulate that it is a design defect. I also know you cannot guarantee special coverage or treatment. So that means no matter what a Solstice or Sky owner has to be prepared to pay for a service charge to diagnose and then be faced with the prospect of nearly an X to $800 bill (if I read some of the quotes correctly). I think there is also some question or doubt that there was an adequate redesign to fix it, as someone stated theirs has failed again and this can be a major safety issue (Check Punishers post for reference). So you can see why it's a bit of a hot button issue for owners.

High Cost "Repair"+Potential Safety Issue+Concerns it's not fixed=Consumers move to Government Intervention.

Matt -Now don't get me wrong, I am not a regular, letter writing, complainer. I'm an X Chevrolet salesman and my brother also worked in a Chevy Plant. So we're pretty loyal to GM in my family. I also do appreciate that you personally monitor this forum and offer assistance as much as you can. I must say that impresses me to have GM care enough to devote some resources to it. It actually makes me want to give GM another shot at my next purchase. (The wife and I have purchased 5 new GM cars + 1 Acura).

SO- Yes I, and we all, want to have it looked at by a dealer, we just don't want to pay for it.

If you have a dealer (I am in the KC area) that will diagnose for free and then work with GM for a courtesy covered repair, on a redesigned part, send me a PM. Or heck just send us all, with this problem, PMs. Respectfully I know that may be beyond your scope.

Kindest Regards to you Matt. You are a righteous dude, and I thank you for all your hard work.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #88 (permalink)

(thumbs up) godrod.
STEREO: ALPINE SPS-610C, PRECISION POWER 8"
DEBADGED
A.E.M: COLD AIR INTAKE
MAGNAFLOW: DUAL EXHAUST
GXP PARTS: BUMPER, SPOILER, FULL FE3 SUSPENSION
EIBACH SPRINGS: SPORT LINE
KAPPASPHERE: REBAR
DDMWORKS: RACE BACK BONE
NORMS FIBERGLASS: DUAL REAR DIFFUSER
ASAP.DIGITAL.IMAGING: SLOTTED BACK UP LIGHTS,SIDEMARKERS,THRID BRAKE LIGHT,TRANSFORMER OVERLAYS
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community.
SOLSTICE-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomShadow View Post
Thanks to those of you who have submitted complaints. Hopefully they will be a stepping stone to having GM help us in fixing this defective part.
ALSO NEED MORE HELP!
Does anyone here know how to cross-post my earlier post (#77) to other forums, such as the Sky forum and others that I don't know about? If anyone can do this for me I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again; and lets keep this 'movement' going.
I cross posted to an existing thread on the Sky forum, as requested. See: This is why my passenger airbag doesn't work. - Page 5 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #90 (permalink)

Well stated, Godrod. I think we all appreciate Matt and GM at least devoting some time to follow up or offer to look into some of the issues that are on going. As I've stated before when dealers have told owners to "never believe anything you read on the internet" they really should embrace forums such as this rather than get defensive. Sure, some people can over react but the majority of us don't sit at home and just make this stuff up. We'll actually dig into things first so a lot of the leg work has been completed.

In addition to filing the complaint, I would suggest anyone who has to go to a dealer on this issue send Matt a PM with the information he requested. Getting a case number assigned may or may not result in any special consideration, but at least give it as much visibility as you can within GM. If nothing else it may alleviate some of the challenge and expense for future cases.

(And I'm not just saying that because mine hasn't failed yet. Honest!)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.