DIC:: SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone? - Page 8 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
You are correct, sir! It communicates over the GMLAN. And the sensor mat is pressure based, not just on/off as well.
TS, do you have anything that can listen on the CAN for the messages from the sensor?
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #107 (permalink)

A scan tool that will monitor real time should do it.

Some of what I know is from experience, some from listening or reading- most of it, I just make up

glake89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #108 (permalink)

Outside of really high-dollar hardware, I haven't found any with SWCAN functionality.

I've always had the DIY route in my plan - it's just still far down the list of projects
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckorbecki View Post
What if they do that for a 15 min drive. Should it only be for a few seconds or for a couple drives? Also the battery unhook didn't work for the service airbag light. This sucks because i have to get a saftey inspection by the end of February. I wonder if i should find a junk yard to see if i can get a sensor. Yet how would i know if that sensor is good?
When I got my Sol inspected in November 2011, for the state of Rhode Island, the airbag light was on, and it passed without a problem.
06Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Berry View Post
When I got my Sol inspected in November 2011, for the state of Rhode Island, the airbag light was on, and it passed without a problem.
Oh.

Ha.

I haven't even tried in a few years, figuring it'd fail here in VA.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #111 (permalink)

My last car (Honda Del Sol) has had the "airbag" light on for the last three years. Passed inspection every time (other than when the cat converter needed replacement). So in TX, doesn't look like that's a "fail" condition.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! Patrick Henry
Old_Sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #112 (permalink)

INEXPENSIVE PPS REPAIR
I had my PPS fail over a month ago. I have just filed my complaint, I hope things change and they offer to fix for free........some day. But, in the mean time I took care of the problem. Two reason, one if someone was hurt, or heaven forbid killed, because of something I neglected to take care of I would feel horrible. Two, the f&$^in DIC Service Air Bag light and the passenger air bag on/off lights are annoying to say the least. So, I tried every option that has been recommended on this forum. Faulty connections, corrosion, disconnect the battery, put the fat momma in the passenger seat, even tried the hot mamma in the passenger seat....didn't work either What DID work was I went online and researched a replacement seat (paying 750.00 at the dealership to fix the problem is not possible for all of us). Found a place that sold me a used replacement seat for $80.00. Yes, $80.00 is correct. That included free shipping. The seat came in 4 days and was in very good condition. The seat was in Oregon and I am in California. They shipped it to my door. Just took out the foam seat bottom with sensor from the replacement seat and exchanged with the foam seat bottom with BAD sensor from my seat. The replacement seat was cloth and mine is leather. Just remember when you are taking off the seat cover from the foam seat bottom that it is velcroed to the foam. So, make sure to be very careful pulling the cover away from the foam or you will pull big pieces of foam with the cover. The process took me about 3 hours. Plugged in the new (used) sensor and everything works just like it is suppose to. Did not have to take it to the dealer to be charged to recalibrate/service air bag. I put the replacement seat back together too. Will sell it on ebay. I will ask $150 for a seat that is in excellent condition with a BAD sensor. In my research I found replacement seats from $80 to $350. No guarantee that the sensor is good in a used replacement seat. For $80 I took the gamble. I would have for $250.
This is who I used:
Brett A. Wiedemann l LKQ/ Keystone Inside Sales l West
13603 Foster Road l Sante Fe Springs, CA l 90670
M 317-523-6019 l O 800-525-3667 EXT: 5243 l DL 562-364-5243 l F 562-404-1371
bxwiedemann@lkqcorp.com
Brett was great, very helpful.
LKQ is one of the largest aftermarket parts/used replacement part companies in the country. They are nation wide.
I think that this is a reasonable way to remedy the problem. And it won't break the bank.
oferrelsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #113 (permalink)

That's way more efficient than my attempts. I looked through all the seats on ebay and emailed anyone looking like they were parting out a car. All were already sold or only interested in selling a whole seat.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #114 (permalink)

I bought the whole seat. Like I said, I will turn around and resale the seat with the bad sensor. I don't think anyone will want to part out the seat. I just did a Google search, right now, for Solstice front seat, then Sky front seat (basically the same seat). Got 17 hits all over the country, costs from 128.00 to 414.00.
All said and done I will have put about 6 hours into this project. Half of that time will have been finding the seat, the other half taking apart both seats, installing the sensor and putting both seats back together. Total savings $750 and I still have a saleable seat.
oferrelsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 AM   #115 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Still... try it with "someone of mass" in the passenger seat. The sensor mat depends on placement too... my daughter would have it turn OFF on her, depending on how she was sitting at the time. If you have someone there over 150 and it stays off, you know for sure.
Couple nights ago we went out for Mexican food. On the way back I glanced over and noticed the idiot light was "on".

Hmmmm. Must have been the queso.

Actually, I think she was sitting up straighter at the time. But I'm still gonna tell her it was the queso.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! Patrick Henry
Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #116 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Sol View Post
Couple nights ago we went out for Mexican food. On the way back I glanced over and noticed the idiot light was "on".

Hmmmm. Must have been the queso.

Actually, I think she was sitting up straighter at the time. But I'm still gonna tell her it was the queso.
That's a lot of queso man.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #117 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post

That's a lot of queso man.
We had the large order. And everything's big in Texas.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #118 (permalink)

SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone

Sure, isn't that what they call it when you take your mother-in-law to the hair salon?
SkyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #119 (permalink)

It appears that other car companies are taking the initiative to correct similar problems.

Nissan recalls some 2013 models on airbags concerns

I believe the NHTSA forced an airbag sensor recall from another company (Honda??) back in late January. I suppose those owners complained more.
TomShadow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #120 (permalink)

DIC:: SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone?

Hey TomShadow, I credited you on a Facebook post for Solstice Owners and admirers just the other day and encouraged others to complain for a recall.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.