Electronic brake control module,(ebcm)**help** - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Electronic brake control module,(ebcm)**help**

Timing couldn't be better with the holiday budget...

So I had the abs and traction light come on while driving on Saturday. Wouldn't go away, so I took it to the dealer and grabbed a loaner car assuming itd be under warranty.

Nope!

They said the electronic brake control module (ebcm) needs to be replaced and it won't be covered under power train since he said (I think) it is a lubricating part that would be considered not on the warranty list.

Is that true? My car is an 08' and this already has to be replaced? You'd think the abs would have something to do with power train..

Dealer said with diagnostic, labor and the $500 part it'd be $700 ish not including tax.

Anyone have experience with this? Or if any sites have the best deals for gm or even a aftermarket ebcm? I spent alot of time researching threads here and googling but no luck with anyone having the exact issue. Gmpartshouse.com has one for $320 but I'd really appreciate the feedback first from you solstice guru's..

Thanks in advance!!

Eric
Chunger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I haven't seen anybody report issues with the brake modules other than the problem with the recall/TSB for recalibrating the early 2008's. What is the build date of your 08? Because they switched modules for the early production and then went back when they found the issues (you want to be sure you get the correct module for your car).

I would also check that they are SURE it is the problem and not doing a fast and dirty diagnosis, just saying the first thing that comes to mind.

In case you don't have it (or know of it) the TSB issue can be seen here: Released 5-1-08- Brake update on Redlines/GXP

and... Defect Investigations Summary
Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks tomato soup. That first link is interesting, my vin number is before the break point so it fits into that category. Although I'm not hearing anything with my brakes nor is the pressure different. But I'll try and bring this up to the dealership today and drill them for what's really wrong. It's just crazy this would happen to a car that's not that old or worn. 54k miles..
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I agree with Soup. This is not a failure that has come up before. The fact that you are on your second failure suggests that something else is wrong. You may be replacing a part that is failing due to some other root cause. The new part may just follow down the same path and fail again because the problem causing the failure has not been addressed.

I would be looking for the root cause that is killing the EBCM

We have seen cases of the warning lights coming on but my recollection is that these instances were due to the failure of one of the wheel sensors. Were it me, I would take a close look at the wiring to the wheels and the wheel sensors to make sure that is not the underlying issue.

Take a look at this

Scan tool for ABS / TC / ESC issues

And this

Rear hub install - ABS wire problem

And this one if pretty interesting if not directly applicable, its possible . . .

AXers and racers: VERY IMPORTANT! [Check Hub Bolts if driven hard]

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

Last edited by rob the elder; 12-12-2012 at 08:45 AM.
rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks rob for the advice and links. Dealership has no idea how the problem occurred and I am not sure if it has anything to do with the hubs or wheel Sensors. Although I did have discount tires install my new falkens but I doubt they could screw up an easy process. I hope.

Update today at the dealership:

The service dept at the dealership said the recall for the 2008 brake problems had already been done prior to selling it to me. The diagnostic is saying its something short circuited in the ebcm or possibly some other malfunction in the ebcm that is causing the error.

The two codes thrown:

C0201
Antilock Brake System Enable Relay Contact Circuit
C0550
Electronic Control Unit Performance

Looks like no one else is having this problem with these codes when I did a search.

The Part#25798970 for ebcm.

So apparently if I install it myself (to save money)I still need to have a gm dealer flash tune it or something to finish off the error.

Question is, if I install it myself and have them reset and flash it, and the problem reoccurred, they might just blame it on the my installation rather than if I just had them do it and I'd be able to blame the reoccurred problem on their installation?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

My experience is that if the dealer installs a GM part they give you a 12 month warranty on that repair.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

C0550 is internal fault code, meaning the module has an electrical failure and is not typically caused by an external component.

As mentioned, wheel speed sensors can set the light off but in this case it appears to be the module.

You will not find a non-OEM module but I have seen used modules for sale.

Reflash is a possibility, you will need to be very sure of the specific PN for your application and build date, there where constant updates.

I show a new ECU costing $541!
marq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think you should call GM and ask them about goodwill. They were going to replace my slave cylinder in my 2006 about a year ago for FREE because I am a pretty faithful GM customer (before they discovered I Exploded the clutch). they will probably ask how many GM cars you've owned, etc. but GM may cover either the whole or part of the cost because the car is relatively new and out of warranty
2.4solstice06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunger View Post
Thanks rob for the advice and links. Dealership has no idea how the problem occurred and I am not sure if it has anything to do with the hubs or wheel Sensors. Although I did have discount tires install my new falkens but I doubt they could screw up an easy process. I hope.

Update today at the dealership:

The service dept at the dealership said the recall for the 2008 brake problems had already been done prior to selling it to me. The diagnostic is saying its something short circuited in the ebcm or possibly some other malfunction in the ebcm that is causing the error.

The two codes thrown:

C0201
Antilock Brake System Enable Relay Contact Circuit
C0550
Electronic Control Unit Performance

Looks like no one else is having this problem with these codes when I did a search.

The Part#25798970 for ebcm.

So apparently if I install it myself (to save money)I still need to have a gm dealer flash tune it or something to finish off the error.

Question is, if I install it myself and have them reset and flash it, and the problem reoccurred, they might just blame it on the my installation rather than if I just had them do it and I'd be able to blame the reoccurred problem on their installation?

Your concerns are definitely valid. If you would like me to look into this issue for you, please send your VIN#, name, situation, contact information, home address, currently mileage, and the dealership information. This will be used to set up a case with GM regarding your vehicle concerns. All GM parts & labor are covered by a warranty. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunger View Post
Timing couldn't be better with the holiday budget...

So I had the abs and traction light come on while driving on Saturday. Wouldn't go away, so I took it to the dealer and grabbed a loaner car assuming itd be under warranty.

Nope!

They said the electronic brake control module (ebcm) needs to be replaced and it won't be covered under power train since he said (I think) it is a lubricating part that would be considered not on the warranty list.

Is that true? My car is an 08' and this already has to be replaced? You'd think the abs would have something to do with power train..

Dealer said with diagnostic, labor and the $500 part it'd be $700 ish not including tax.

Anyone have experience with this? Or if any sites have the best deals for gm or even a aftermarket ebcm? I spent alot of time researching threads here and googling but no luck with anyone having the exact issue. Gmpartshouse.com has one for $320 but I'd really appreciate the feedback first from you solstice guru's..

Thanks in advance!!

Eric
A rule of thumb is that the power train warranty includes "internally lubricated parts" that is the engine, transmission, differential and any intermediate gear boxes if any. In the case of our cars, the PT warranty has been extended to include the intercooler. Things like the catalytic converter are part of the polution control system and are covered under a separate warranty.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. I'll look into each of your suggestions. Matt, I'll pm you. Thanks

ROb:
Looks like you're right, I guess I heard wrong when I asked again. Lubricated parts are power train warranty but since this is not, it's not covered.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Update:
I Pm'd Matt the "GMcustomerSvc" media rep and got a "good will" deal like what "2.4solstice06" mentioned and got the total down from $660 to about $240 plus tax to replace the EBCM and reflash it. Much better deal!

Before that, I did some research and found that other Gm vehicles were having the same problems with their EBCM code, most of the time its just something loose in the ebcm and you could open it and fix it. After about 100 drives the code should disappear. Another solution is uninstall the EBCM and send it to one of the websites that fixes ABS and Ebcm problems where they usually charge about $150 and send it back to you.

Another solution:
25798970 - GM MODULE KIT
They sell the exact brand new one for $310 and you can just install it yourself.

Hope this thread can be valuable to any others that are having the same error codes in the future. Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Excellent outcome. Thanks for the new info

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hello,

I just wanted to clarify that each vehicle is treated on a case by case basis. The same outcome or Goodwill can NOT be guaranteed for every issue. Thank you and let us know if you're having any vehicle issues.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well done Matt. Glad to see your time on the forums is paying off.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.