Headlight Aiming - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Headlight Aiming

Been a couple threads started over the last couple months about headlight aiming. Most have had to do will being flashed by oncoming traffic such as moose33's thread. risdo was just happy to find out there is an adjustment. Frank I's had a more specific issue of side coverage.

As WintR answered in Frank I's thread, and others pointed out, the Solstice is only designed for a vertical adjustment procedure. But it doesn't involve openning and closing the hood repeatedly to get it done.

The question becomes, can any shimming or something else be done to the mounting to move the light along the hozion, as Frank I desires. I leave you to your garage laboratories.

Quote:
Headlamp Aiming

The vehicle has a visual optical headlamp aiming system. The aim has been preset at the factory and should need no further adjustment

However, If the vehicle is damaged in an accident, the headlamp aim may be affected and adjustment may be necessary.

The vehicle should be properly prepared as follows:

• Inspect the alignment and adjustment of the hood.

• The vehicle should be placed so the headlamps are 25 ft (7.6 m) from a light colored wall or other flat surface.

• The vehicle must have all four tires on a perfectly level surface which is level all the way to the wall or other flat surface.

• The vehicle should be placed so it is perpendicular to the wall or other flat surface.

• The vehicle should not have any snow, ice or mud on it.

• The vehicle should be fully assembled and all other work stopped while headlamp aiming is being done.

• The vehicle should be normally loaded with a full tank of fuel and one person or 160 lbs (75 kg) on the driver seat.

• Tires should be properly inflated.

• The hood should be checked for proper adjustment. Refer to Hood Adjustment .

• The hood should be in the closed position.

Headlamp aiming is done with the vehicle low-beam headlamps. The high-beam headlamps will be correctly aimed if the low-beam headlamps are aimed properly.

1.) The vertical headlamp aiming screw (1) is located behind the front marker lamp. Refer to Front Side Marker Lamp Replacement for lamp removal and adjuster screw access.
Quote:
Squeeze the upper lamp assembly tab downward and push the lens outward from the top of the front bumper fascia and lift upward to remove.
2.) The adjustment screw can be turned with a standard No. 2 Phillips driver.

3.) To adjust the vertical aim on the headlamps, close the hood, and do the following:

4.) Find the aim dots (1) on the lens of the lamp assembly.

5.) Measure the distance from the ground to the aim dot on the lamp with the hood in the closed position. Record the distance.

6.) At the wall or other flat surface, measure from the ground upward the recorded distance and draw or tape a horizontal line the width of the vehicle.

Notice: Do not cover a headlamp to improve beam cut-off when aiming. Covering a headlamp may cause excessive heat build-up which may cause damage to the headlamp.

7.) Turn on the low-beam headlamps and place a piece of cardboard or equivalent in front of the headlamp not being aimed. This should allow only the beam of light from the headlamp being aimed to be seen on the flat surface.

8.) Turn the vertical aiming screw until the Right Gradient Line (Cutoff Line) (2) is set at the H-H (Horizontal Axis) (1) within +/- 2.0 inches measured at 25 feet.

9.) Repeat steps 7 and 8 for the opposite headlamp.
Frank I's thread: Need some assistance

risdo's thread: Headlight adjustment?

moose33's first post and thread: nice headlights
Attached Thumbnails
Headlight Aiming-aim-1.gif   Headlight Aiming-aim-3.gif   Headlight Aiming-aim-5.gif   Headlight Aiming-aim-6.gif  
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."

Last edited by Small Dealer; 04-07-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

GREAT!!!!!!
Thanks for coming to the rescue!
There is no doubt the factory either did not adjust the headlights or they lost their adjustment in transport.

I will now double check to see how far off the adjustments I made are?

Frank I
Frank I is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.