HELLPPPPPPPP!! passenger window won't go down. - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Midnite - I feel your pain on the regulator assemblies going nucking futty on you. I worked on some of the early versions of them back in the 80's. They've definitely come a long way but they still suffer from "one little thing out of line = major headaches down the road."
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hello everyone well just had this same issue. With the pass. door not going down. I belive this happened because i put a bit of downwards pressure in the window and i snapped the cable as you can see in the pic looks like it was corroded already. My question is can i get the cable by its self or what part do i need to buy to be able to fix this issue?

Could this be the cause of my issue? when i do press the window button it does like make noise and move a bit but fairly nothing. Im pretty sure its the cable thats causing the issue. but want to get a second opinion.

Last edited by Bluesulfur; 06-12-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Bluesulfur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Blue - was it a braided cable into/through the nylon bushing with the spring over it? I'm thinking it was likely (but not definitely) a bushing molded over the cable. You'll likely need the whole cable. I'll try to dig deeper.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah, its the last pic looks like it got rusted and just came apart form the other end.

Im not sure about the other end but there was a spring like with a plastic piece just laying inside the door.

i think i need a new cable, but not sure where to get the cable ive checked online in rock auto but only get window aculator and some other part worth about $80 but not sure. any help is good. thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Put a relay in the system and it should work fine
spdygxp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

spdy dont quite get you. When you say relay do you mean another wire? like relay fuse?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

Checked one resource and it was only coming up with the complete regulator also. Might be hard to single out the cable as a lot of these types of units are bought as "sub-assemblies" from the suppliers. I'll check some other resources and if push comes to shove I'll pop off a door panel and take a closer look at mine to see if there's a work-around.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #23 (permalink)

Thank chickenwire have checked around looks for the regulator its about $100+
Im pretty sure it is just that cable. Thanks thats really going above and beyond. I might also check my drivers door aswell to see a how its all put together.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #24 (permalink)

I just checked Rock Auto - they usually have pretty good prices - but all they had was the ACDelco unit for $172! Ouch!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #25 (permalink)

Tell me about it just for that part and all I really need is the braided cable I was thinking inf finding a cable identical to the one used and replace it?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #26 (permalink)

I was going to offer that $100 sounded cheap!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Nice. It's crazy just for that part it's $172. The only bad thing about all this is I tend to drive with my windows down most of the time. I wonder how the cable got corroded looks like perhaps water was getting in from the window or so but not sure. I was thinking of trying to fix it with bicycle brake cable looks like it might be about same diameter might give that a shot and if not luck well would have Togo with buying a new regulator
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #28 (permalink)

I also had the misfortune of BOTH of my windows failing. They both corroded, the twisted wires that is. Also there was no way to get just the cable, since I kept the old ones to salvage the motors I got a good look at what happened and the over all assembly in general. Donno if you'll be able to use bicycle cables, those in our actuator assembly have special I want to say ends on which they slide into positions all over the place and is what holds them in place, the other issue is the length of the cables. Down here in Florida we get a lot of rain...did I say we get a lot of rain?? My problems were corrosion, and IMO the only way that can happen is with water seeping down in there over the years. I just bit the bullet and did one at a time and I let my dealer do it...It WAS very expensive. I just didn't want to deal with it cause I have BIG hands and it looks like a royal PITA to replace the whole actuator assembly, then of course there was the alignment issue. I had a "master tech" train with the Sky do the job... BTW, the parts used for the Solstice and the Sky is NOT the same part. You also cannot just buy the motor, or just the cable. I ordered the motor from rock auto and everything was not compatible, ended up returning it for credit at my expense (another words waste of time and money). In fact I have a thread in the Sky forum on this same exact issue.. Costs at the dealer for the repairs? Part $335.56 Labor $70.00. The whole cost just for the passenger side cost me $441.02. Now keep in mind that was with a discount for labor only after I asked them for help on costs. They would not discount the part price, this was just done May 3rd of this year. The drivers regulator I did on Feb 2 of this year, that job cost me $346.28 for the part, and labor was $187.50, however with this job I had a 20% discount coupon from them, ended up just for the regulator assembly $430.13 (plus tax and other misc. items they routinely charge for).. Plus I had other maintenance work done at this time also. BTW, TS was very familiar with my adventure since he gave out accurate info regarding my issues, we all learned new shlt form my experience....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." ~ Ronald Reagan

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 06-15-2013 at 08:02 AM.
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #29 (permalink)

As a side note - window seals are not 100% leakproof and never will be. Doors are designed with weep holes for that very reason. All you can do is keep your window seals in good shape and keep the weep holes clear to minimize how much moisture gets in and stays in.

I've designed plastic "troughs" over the years to channel drips away from electric motors, regulators, etc.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #30 (permalink)

After these 6 months Ive decided to replace the cables on the window. I do need your help Into what part I get. The motor on the window is fine its just the cable that is damaged. Which part would I buy? Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.