Intermittent Coolant Sensor Issue - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

I have been having this for a couple of months now but I would almost bet this has nothing to do with the thermostat. My symptoms are classic: Randomly the temperature readout will be ---F, the radiator fan will kick in and A/C compressor will turn off (if on). Sometimes the CEL goes on with P0128, sometimes it does not; the temperature readout will turn on again at random times and the engine temp will be exactly where I would expect it to be. I set my DIS to display temperature all the time now. Note that I have no problems with drivability whatsoever when this happens.

I have just replaced the coolant sensor this morning and getting ready for a 500 mile trip this weekend. Will see what happens.
Lagonia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah, ok, replacing the temperature sensor did not help. It took about 450 miles, several drive cycles but it came back. When the temperature readout goes to ---F, it does not mean that the temperature sensor is bad. I hooked up my scan tool to find out that the temperature is logged correctly. After I stop the car and turn the ignition on, the temp indicator will still be ---F. The moment you clear the codes using the scan tool, the temperature readout resumes. So, basically, the ---F is set by the ECM when the P0128 is either set or is pending. I stand corrected, next step will be replacing the thermostat.
Lagonia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagonia View Post
Yeah, ok, replacing the temperature sensor did not help. It took about 450 miles, several drive cycles but it came back. When the temperature readout goes to ---F, it does not mean that the temperature sensor is bad. I hooked up my scan tool to find out that the temperature is logged correctly. After I stop the car and turn the ignition on, the temp indicator will still be ---F. The moment you clear the codes using the scan tool, the temperature readout resumes. So, basically, the ---F is set by the ECM when the P0128 is either set or is pending. I stand corrected, next step will be replacing the thermostat.
We had a car in recently, same problem. The owner had just bought the car, and we could tell that the thermostat had just been replaced, we pulled the thermostat to check it in boiling water, everything appeared fine. We replaced the sensor with an extra sensor we had around the shop that we knew was good, but the code still came back. We replaced the thermostat with a GM one, the code stayed away and has not come back. Not saying that it has to be a GM thermostat, the one we replaced could have just been bad from new, but we always put new GM thermostats in all of the engine builds we do.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Dave checking the stat in boiling water is not an ideal test. The stat is designed to begin opening at 82C IIRC, if it starts to open before that the stat could set the CEL. The stats also have a very low leak rate so if the stat is leaky you can set this code as well.

Same code can be set if the sensor becomes stuck below a certain temp or is biased low enough.

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I'm not responsible for your actions.
info2x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by info2x View Post
Dave checking the stat in boiling water is not an ideal test. The stat is designed to begin opening at 82C IIRC, if it starts to open before that the stat could set the CEL. The stats also have a very low leak rate so if the stat is leaky you can set this code as well.

Same code can be set if the sensor becomes stuck below a certain temp or is biased low enough.
I absolutely agree, but we wanted to make sure that it was opening and closing atleast.

Since we have been using the OEM thermostat's we have not had any issues.
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Good stuff. Just making sure we're all on the same page.

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I'm not responsible for your actions.
info2x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

man...I really don't want to try to replace my thermostat... But it looks like that is the general culprit here. Hoping I don't have to take off much, if any of my supercharger parts.

2009 2.4L Solstice Roadster
Color: Mysterious
Mileage: 58,950
States Visited: 19

Current Stable:
2005 Mazda RX8
2005 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Pontiac Solstice
2013 Chevrolet Spark

Stage II Drive By
OSUCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUCherokee View Post
man...I really don't want to try to replace my thermostat... But it looks like that is the general culprit here. Hoping I don't have to take off much, if any of my supercharger parts.
Considering the supercharger stuff is at the front and the t-stat is at the back, unless the t-stat is tapped for coolant (which I'm doubtful of with it being a supercharger and not a turbocharger that is much more likely to be liquid cooled), there shouldn't be any supercharger stuff in the way.

Don't be tempted to not remove the plastic cowling. It's worth the trouble. I couldn't see doing a t-stat on the kappa with the cowl in place. At least not with my hands.

Good luck!
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
Considering the supercharger stuff is at the front and the t-stat is at the back, unless the t-stat is tapped for coolant (which I'm doubtful of with it being a supercharger and not a turbocharger that is much more likely to be liquid cooled), there shouldn't be any supercharger stuff in the way.

Don't be tempted to not remove the plastic cowling. It's worth the trouble. I couldn't see doing a t-stat on the kappa with the cowl in place. At least not with my hands.

Good luck!
Is it easier to reach from above or below?

Current Stable:
2005 Mazda RX8
2005 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Pontiac Solstice
2013 Chevrolet Spark

Stage II Drive By
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #25 (permalink)

I did it from above. Not sure if it would be easier from below but I doubt it.

Not sure if this will help, but the t-stat housing is in the middle of the picture in the background.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

Some '06 Sols have an oil cooler attached to the back of the engine (mine does). This substantially increases the difficulty of reaching the thermostat.

In my case, only my wife's petite hands could reach into the space.

Not a pleasant job...but, doable.

BTW...the pattern appears to be a deterioration of the thermostat seals (perhaps due to a corrosive coolant?).

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car.Cust. Rests
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Aftershock Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace ... Solo HF Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..
Jackknife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #27 (permalink)

Part of me thinks its just the engine not getting up to temp. I recently added the royal purple stuff to the coolant. Maybe it dropped temperatures too much? Also the engine generally seems to run cooler with an intercooler. Maybe it's just a combination of both?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Current Stable:
2005 Mazda RX8
2005 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Pontiac Solstice
2013 Chevrolet Spark

Stage II Drive By
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknife View Post

Must resist smart-ass comment....................

Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknife View Post
Some '06 Sols have an oil cooler attached to the back of the engine (mine does). This substantially increases the difficulty of reaching the thermostat.

BTW...the pattern appears to be a deterioration of the thermostat seals (perhaps due to a corrosive coolant?).
Even without the oil cooler, it's a tight fit. Even though I was wearing puncture resistant nitrile gloves, my hands were pretty scratched and beat up from what is otherwise a relatively easy job if not for access.

As much as I trust Dexcool and continue to use it, I also don't run it to its recommended 5 year service life. Most associated Dexcool related issues seem somewhat related to old Dexcool (and often within the 5 year service life).

Last edited by Carbon Sky; 01-16-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUCherokee View Post
Part of me thinks its just the engine not getting up to temp. I recently added the royal purple stuff to the coolant. Maybe it dropped temperatures too much? Also the engine generally seems to run cooler with an intercooler. Maybe it's just a combination of both?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
I really wish people would stop adding additives to their coolant. But anyways that's a personal gripe.

There is no way any additive can drop temperature too much, sounds a lot more like classic symptoms of a failing/sticking t-stat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.