Loose rear end, slipping on turns at low speeds! - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Loose rear end, slipping on turns at low speeds!

Hey Y'all,

I dunno, I guess I have a very sensitive rear end and I felt that my car "slipped" a little when making turns. Any turns, that is. Can be as slow as being in a parking lot or a turn at a signal from a full stop or even on/off freeway ramps. This is the same feeling that you get when the road is slick and you pulled a sharp one, but the road is bone dry and this happens on any kind of turn.

Something felt loose at the rear. And when my car runs over irregular surface on the road, I hear this rattle that never happened in the past. This rattle sounds like loose struts on my old Ford Taurus but heck this is the new Solstice I am driving.

I just hit roughly 3500 miles and this has never happened before. And this is not tire pressure, I checked it today.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
CenturionAVRE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 04:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Got Turbo?

A trip to the dealer sounds in order.

Make 'em check it out and take the mechanic for a test drive. Show them what it's doing. Hopefully you can get it corrected, as it sounds dangerous to drive it like that.

NASSOA
Officially Recognized by GM
Founding Member
SkyGazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Given you are under warranty yah, just let the dealer worry about it.

If you want to poke around a little bit I'd probably start by checking your sway bar links. You have both sides to compare so it should be pretty obvious visually if something is wrong. One side could be completely disconnected.

If you find that to be the problem - it's not really a dangerous (tow) type of situation but you'll want to get it taken care of.

Do everyone a favor and post up what you find out. Threads are a lot more useful if the problem and eventual solution are in place.
YupYup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 07:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

You didn't say what rear end you have, whether standard or limited slip. An out in left field idea would be that the LSD, if equipped, has become more aggressive, and is actually engaging on you when not needed. Old time posi-tracs on solid rear axles would always "grab" at slow turning rates, such as parking.

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
achieftain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achieftain View Post
You didn't say what rear end you have, whether standard or limited slip. An out in left field idea would be that the LSD, if equipped, has become more aggressive, and is actually engaging on you when not needed. Old time posi-tracs on solid rear axles would always "grab" at slow turning rates, such as parking.
This is what happened when I had my LSD carrier replaced. The handling changed substantially. The car was understeering much more on turn-in (entering a turn) and oversteering on exit from turns. Inside wheel chirped on almost every turn.

It loosened up after about 100 miles of breakin. After 200 miles it was back to normal.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

^

That is how a clutch type limited slip will act without the friction modifier (GM LS additive) in the gear oil. You should not be getting chirps on parking lot turns except for maybe the first mile or two before the additive is distributed.

I would do some tight turns in a parking lot and see if you are still getting aggresive engagement. Your ls will wear much quicker in this arrangement.
YupYup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YupYup View Post
^

That is how a clutch type limited slip will act without the friction modifier (GM LS additive) in the gear oil. You should not be getting chirps on parking lot turns except for maybe the first mile or two before the additive is distributed.

I would do some tight turns in a parking lot and see if you are still getting aggresive engagement. Your ls will wear much quicker in this arrangement.
Note my previous message - everything is back to normal, and I have an additional 4000 miles on it since the replacement.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturionAVRE View Post
Hey Y'all,

I dunno, I guess I have a very sensitive rear end and I felt that my car "slipped" a little when making turns. Any turns, that is. Can be as slow as being in a parking lot or a turn at a signal from a full stop or even on/off freeway ramps. This is the same feeling that you get when the road is slick and you pulled a sharp one, but the road is bone dry and this happens on any kind of turn.

Something felt loose at the rear. And when my car runs over irregular surface on the road, I hear this rattle that never happened in the past. This rattle sounds like loose struts on my old Ford Taurus but heck this is the new Solstice I am driving.

I just hit roughly 3500 miles and this has never happened before. And this is not tire pressure, I checked it today.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I was wondering what the outcome was on this post. I was on the SSS run this weekend, and nearing the end of the run I thought the car felt different. It's hard to explain but feels kinda like the back of the car is sitting on a swing and it sways through the curves. I looked things over under the car and it all seems to be okay. This was my first time at really driving the car aggressively on curvy roads. Did something break in or just plain break.
GM CAI
Alpine with Monsoon Sound
Illuminated Windrestrictor
Troy S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy S View Post
I was wondering what the outcome was on this post. I was on the SSS run this weekend, and nearing the end of the run I thought the car felt different. It's hard to explain but feels kinda like the back of the car is sitting on a swing and it sways through the curves. I looked things over under the car and it all seems to be okay. This was my first time at really driving the car aggressively on curvy roads. Did something break in or just plain break.
i' ve had the same thing happen to me --feels like slippage with no sound on dry road
petrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy S View Post

Not to hijack, but I kinda noticed the same thing one day while pushing the cornering limits. I figured it was just a characteristic of the handling of the car and haven't really pushed it that hard since.

Sold: 07 Solstice, black, 5spd manual, convenience, preferred, and premium packages, LSD, Monsoon, XM, A/C, ABS, chrome wheels.
Mods: DDM Stage II SC, Probeam, Race Backbone. Solo SQR-2 catback. Norm's first Solstice rear fascia. JPM center console. DashHawk.
RevmanII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Sol Driving Member

First that that you guys can check without a trip to the dealer is the tire pressure. When the pressure is low the tires have more lateral give in them and will make the car feel weird...if the pressure is correct and you still have that feeling then get the car to the dealer. The least that will do is get you on record as saying that something is wrong, the best it can do is get a problem corrected before it causes great harm to you or the car.

12 . . . Solstice Coupe List - January 2012

Wicked 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe on order 24 October 2008 Produced 7 April 2009 Delivered 6 May 2009 VIN 1G2MT25X59Y000038 (Watched her come off the truck)

Original 2006 NA Ordered: 8 Sep 2005 Delivered to dealer 15 Dec 2005 (Watched her come off the truck) Traded 6 May 2009 #5357
GO_DRVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2006, 04:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'll find a place this weekend when I can give it a good go on the cornering. If it's still doing it back to the dealer it goes. If they don't find anything, your right, at least it will be documented for later instances.
GM CAI
Alpine with Monsoon Sound
Illuminated Windrestrictor
Troy S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

I felt the same thing, but only when leaving my driveway. I didn't think a small (I mean tiny!) rock could cause this, but I swept the road in front of my driveway very carefully and the problem disappeared. It only takes one small rock while accelerating away. With such low-profile high performance tires, maybe it doesn't take much.
DanW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

I've had the same problem and had even posted about it months ago....the old "slip sliding away" post...

But finally the problem has ben found...after going to one dealer 3 times with no results, i changed dealers and he found a damaged tie-rod end on my right rear wheel, which would explain the rear end sliding sideways when doing sharp left turn and giving very little gas, even at 20 m/hr i would loose traction... tire pressure are at 29 p.s.i. the damaged tie-rod also explains the loud metal sound when hitting a bump or pothole with my rear right wheel.

Have your dealer check it out.
Kid-Colt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

One engineer explained once that this car is more sensitive to tire pressure than other vehicles. A good first place to look.

Pontiac 1926-2010
"We hardly knew 'ya"

Confusion say: "If it ain't broke...give government a crack at it."
achieftain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.