P0480 and PO691 fan circuit codes - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

P0480 and PO691 fan circuit codes

Anyone had a problem with these. My 08' GXP started having these codes intermittent. Then the fan quit completely. Upon inspection I found the control circuit in the ECU is blown. Apparently the cooling fan on the GXP is controlled by a PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) ground circuit in the ECU. Cant even cheat it because the fan has a seperate ECU mounted on the back of it. GM has a bulletin on these codes but refers to a blown 60A fan fuse and says its due to improper jump starting....BS...the car has never been jump started... Im pissed , what a hassle...any ideas from you GM techs or engineers?...Jim

Last edited by PASSIONRE; 06-18-2010 at 05:12 PM.
PASSIONRE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey jim. Just had a sky member go through this. Give the thread below a quick look and see if you have anymore questions.

Cooling/Radiator Fan Codes... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

edit: Just because a bulletin says that one method of causing it is jump starting doesn't mean that's the be all and end all of why it happens. IIRC in this case there were a lot of people hooking up to the fan connections to jump start their cars and well that doesn't go so well through the 60A fuse.

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I'm not responsible for your actions.

Last edited by info2x; 06-18-2010 at 05:42 PM.
info2x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by info2x View Post
Hey jim. Just had a sky member go through this. Give the thread below a quick look and see if you have anymore questions.

Cooling/Radiator Fan Codes... - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

edit: Just because a bulletin says that one method of causing it is jump starting doesn't mean that's the be all and end all of why it happens. IIRC in this case there were a lot of people hooking up to the fan connections to jump start their cars and well that doesn't go so well through the 60A fuse.
Thanks for the information although I still have a problem. The wiring diagrams I have access to(ALLDATA), do not show the control circuit(white wire) running through the fusebox....can you give me any info concerning sub connections it might be connected to in the fuse box? I've replaced the fan assy with controller, ECU, I have power, ground, and Ive checked continuity from ecu to controller on the white wire, and checked for that circuit being grounded to ground with the ecu and fan assy disconnected...all results good. Both ecu's kick up po691 and po480 everytime there is a fan command, and fans are inoperative under any circumstance...Jim

Last edited by PASSIONRE; 07-05-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't have the info on me right now, I'll pull it up ASAP. Hopefully by the end of the week.

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

I am a GM engineer, my comments are my own. I'm not responsible for your actions.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by info2x View Post
Don't have the info on me right now, I'll pull it up ASAP. Hopefully by the end of the week.
Well, I found it! after determining that I had power, ground,a new fan, new ecu...and NO function at all, we have the Brazen Beast with cold AC and fans once again. What?........ power, ground, new components...what else is there? How about the ability to carry current! Im sitting eating breakfast and my son asks me if I have a voltage meter to check his boat battery. I reply "wont do you any good to check voltage, it wont tell you if the battery can sustain a load".... then it hit me, "added resistance". Sure enough, the main power wire(red) to the fans has 20ohms resistance. After inspection, it appears the factory has coated the end of the wire at the engine fusebox with some kind of adhesive to seal the insulation to the wire. Only problem is, is that the terminal was coated as well......BAD CONNECTION. I cant believe it ever worked at all. Plenty of voltage, NO current carrying capability! Ive been stumped by this before,,,but its been a while...back to basics. Maybe a TSB in order? thanks for the help....Jim
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

I jump started my car after I had been working on installing an auto-dimming mirror with compass and thermometer. I followed the instructions in the owner's manual, and saw the fuse for the cooling fan blow before my eyes.

I know a local Solstice that was overheating, turned out it was because his fuse blew, again because he had jump started his car. Not sure if he did it "properly", but it seems jumping these cars can be hazardous on this fuse. I carry one in the car at all times now.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSIONRE View Post
Well, I found it! after determining that I had power, ground,a new fan, new ecu...and NO function at all, we have the Brazen Beast with cold AC and fans once again. What?........ power, ground, new components...what else is there? How about the ability to carry current! Im sitting eating breakfast and my son asks me if I have a voltage meter to check his boat battery. I reply "wont do you any good to check voltage, it wont tell you if the battery can sustain a load".... then it hit me, "added resistance". Sure enough, the main power wire(red) to the fans has 20ohms resistance. After inspection, it appears the factory has coated the end of the wire at the engine fusebox with some kind of adhesive to seal the insulation to the wire. Only problem is, is that the terminal was coated as well......BAD CONNECTION. I cant believe it ever worked at all. Plenty of voltage, NO current carrying capability! Ive been stumped by this before,,,but its been a while...back to basics. Maybe a TSB in order? thanks for the help....Jim

The troubleshooting guide mentions checking resistance. IIRC they look for less than 1 ohm resistance, so your 20 ohms is way out of wack.

Good job at figuring it out

2009 Sky RL 5 Spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.