Rear window falling out - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rear window falling out

Hi all, long time no see. A lot is going on around here and free time has been severely limited. We had a big storm last night and this morning I got into the car to see water on the tulip bar. I poured some water over the window and it appears that the window is coming out.

I called my local dealership and they referred me to another shop. That shop said they would refuse to do it as it is a common issue on Skys and Solstices and they haven't found a reliable fix. Basically every time they fix it after a few times of putting the top up and down, it fails again.

I'm wondering if anyone knew a fix for this at all. I'm trying to not buy a new top (if I can even find one!). The guy said he would fix it if I found a reliable glue to do it with, but he has yet to find one that works long term.

Thanks All!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmeili View Post
Hi all, long time no see. A lot is going on around here and free time has been severely limited. We had a big storm last night and this morning I got into the car to see water on the tulip bar. I poured some water over the window and it appears that the window is coming out.

I called my local dealership and they referred me to another shop. That shop said they would refuse to do it as it is a common issue on Skys and Solstices and they haven't found a reliable fix. Basically every time they fix it after a few times of putting the top up and down, it fails again.

I'm wondering if anyone knew a fix for this at all. I'm trying to not buy a new top (if I can even find one!). The guy said he would fix it if I found a reliable glue to do it with, but he has yet to find one that works long term.

Thanks All!
I had this repair done by my dealer's body shop in late 2006 because the window was separating from the canvas. It's still holding strong after 6 years or so.

The TSB I'm posting is the most recent I have in my files, and replaces an earlier one that doesn't have as much info in it. Good Luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rearwindowTSB.pdf (20.8 KB, 274 views)

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks DAve! I gave the info to the dealership. they say "doesn't mean we'll do it for free". They said if I pre-paid for the part mentioned they would look for it, but no promises. Once it's found (if it's found) they will fix it for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

What I like about that particular TSB is the labor code that shows the dealer up front how much time it should take.

Googling the cleaner and sealer tells me that just about all auto parts houses stock both of these. The sealer runs $20 to $25 per 10.5 oz cartridge and the cleaner price depends on the size of the container, about $17/quart.

1st 1K - #741

Last edited by DaveOC; 12-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
If it were me, I would do the repair myself. There are several others who have had the same problem and I have yet to hear of one that did not work.

The issue is that the dealer and the shop they sent you to do not want to do the work. I would not want to have to depend on a dealer who refuses to do factory procedures to address a manufacturing issue.

They are not seeing enough profit to make it worth their time and since you are driving an out of production car from a long gone manufacturer they do not see you as a potential profit center.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
If it were me, I would do the repair myself. There are several others who have had the same problem and I have yet to hear of one that did not work.

The issue is that the dealer and the shop they sent you to do not want to do the work. I would not want to have to depend on a dealer who refuses to do factory procedures to address a manufacturing issue.

They are not seeing enough profit to make it worth their time and since you are driving an out of production car from a long gone manufacturer they do not see you as a potential profit center.
RTE nails the underlying issue here!

1st 1K - #741
Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

'Zactly, Rob. Instead of "Hey, if we take care of this guy, he'll come back" it's "I don't see enough dollars here to risk having him come back".
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post

I agree, fix it yourself if local GM dealers aren't helping to resolve the issue. However I don't agree with out of production mentality since every time a model is moved from an old architecture to a new architecture it basically becomes a new model in all but model name. In other words; it's short sighted. I would like to believe that GM has mandated, or come up with a positive resolution system for dealers to promote maintaining orphan divisions vehicles so that when the times comes for an orphan brand customer to purchase a new vehicle they will more likely consider buying a model from one of the remaining existing division company products rather than going to the competition.

Maybe it's a franchise dealer thing rather than a GM thing. Regardless, the outcome is the same when people turn to the competition because one bad dealer makes customers think the whole company sucks. I can't believe how many times I've read over the years "I'll never buy X brand again" based on one or a few lousy franchise dealer's experiences.

Last edited by ChopTop; 12-13-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: clarification & grammer
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
I agree, fix it yourself. However I don't agree with out of production mentality since every time a model is moved from an old architecture to a new architecture it basically becomes a new model in all but model name. In other words; it's short sighted. Take care, mandate, or come up with a system to dealers that they will maintain orphan divisions vehicles so that the orphan customer will be more likely to buy an existing division company product rather than going to the competition.

Maybe it's a franchise dealer thing rather than a GM thing, regardless the outcome is the same when people turn to the competition because one bad dealer makes customers think that the whole company sucks. I can't believe how many times I've read over the years "I'll never buy X brand again" based on one or a few lousy franchise dealer's experiences.

One of my motivations for maintaining the relationship between our local club and our dealer is that we have strength in numbers. When you go to a dealer as an individual, you have little power. When you show up with a list of 50 cars and owners, you get their attention. I even hold twice yearly "events" at the dealership where we fill their service bays with oil changes, tire rotations and minor repairs twice a year. That gets their attention as well.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

I use the same mentality when dealing with the local hardware store. I told them many years ago that they were my first stop, always. If they didn't have it or couldn't get it within a reasonable price and time frame, then I'd look elsewhere. I stay true to that committment.

Bought a two pack of halogen bulbs for my stairway lights. One burned out two weeks later. They would replace it, but they're only sold in twin packs. They gave me the twin pack without charge even though I agreed to pay half price to get the 2nd bulb. I wanted to convert more of my Christmas lights to LED this year. Reels were marked $25 each - I have 5 reels. Teller asks a co-worker "are these being marked down tomorrow?" Co-worker checks, returns and says "Yeah - he said to knock $10 off each reel for Tom."

So yes, you take care of me, my business will faithfully return - AND I'll steer everyone I can your direction.

You decide my business isn't valuable, then I guess it won't be. Like the GM dealer that "harumphed" me when I tried to explain the pratfalls to avoid replacing my water pump and screwed it up anyway. I don't bad-mouth him voluntarily but if someone asks I tell them I wouldn't take a bicycle to them to work on. The GM dealer that worked with me through the cat converter saga? I'd go back to them in a heartbeat. They went out of their way to get us in contact with GM directly when the cat wasn't available, got us into a rental pronto, continued to communicate with us while we waited for the part and when GM seemed to balk on covering the rental they adamantly said they would address it with GM and they did.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

If anyone has an issue getting a problem fixed with the dealership, please let us know. If you do send a PM, please include include the VIN, your name, dealership, contact information, and situation. Thank you

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

I used gorilla glue, no issues since last year
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hello, I know your suppose to use 3m urethane high viscosity sealer, and 3m all purpose cleaner. But where can i get this stuff??
Bluesulfur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesulfur View Post
Hello, I know your suppose to use 3m urethane high viscosity sealer, and 3m all purpose cleaner. But where can i get this stuff??
My post #2 in this thread has the TSB where there are 3M part numbers. Google those part numbers and you will find that most auto supply stores either stock them or can get them.

Good luck!

1st 1K - #741
Old 11-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quick question can this stuff be used to seal the headlights. Im planning to clean them inside but wondering if this can be used to join the headlight together to other bottom part?
Bluesulfur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.