Replace TPS? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Replace TPS?

I am getting some new tires. I don't trust anyone to jack up the car. I am taking the wheels off myself, loading them along with the new tires in the back of my pickup, and heading to a garage to have them mounted. Do I have to buy / replace the TPS on each tire when I buy new tires? My current TPS works fine and I know about reprogramming.
omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

A competent tire shop will be able to change the tires without harming the tire pressure sensors. No problemo'.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Agree. I have even moved ther to new wheels on my commuter car

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I kind of figured that, but when I went to some online tire places, they "recommended" I replace the sensors as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you don't put each wheel back onto the same corner from which it was removed, you will have to reprogram your TPMS. It's not difficult, but I'd check to see if the tire shop is competent to do it and let them do it for you. Fore me it's just easier to let them do it, especially when they throw it in for the price of the product and service I'm already buying from them.

One by one, our government is chipping away at our individual liberties. Don't let it happen.
Carpe Diem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
If you don't put each wheel back onto the same corner from which it was removed, you will have to reprogram your TPMS. It's not difficult, but I'd check to see if the tire shop is competent to do it and let them do it for you. Fore me it's just easier to let them do it, especially when they throw it in for the price of the product and service I'm already buying from them.
Thanks. I'll take that under consideration. I am kinda weird though. I do not trust anyone when it comes to touching the car. In some ways, I would rather do it myself. Does that make sense?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

tps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Hello Carpe
I just rotated my wheels in situ, as it's stored for the winter. Does this mean my tps computer or whatever will need reprogramming? If so, what's the procedure Thanks!
John
jcoryea1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoryea1 View Post
Hello Carpe
I just rotated my wheels in situ, as it's stored for the winter. Does this mean my tps computer or whatever will need reprogramming? If so, what's the procedure Thanks!
John
It should be in your owners manual, if you don't have one, I can probably find the correct procedure online. What year is your car?

edit: The procedure should be the same regardless of the year, it is detailed in the attachment:
Attached Files
File Type: txt TPMS.txt (5.3 KB, 42 views)

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741

Last edited by DaveOC; 01-21-2013 at 04:00 PM.
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just something to keep in mind... There's a battery inside each TPM. They last around 7-10 years, so if you've got 5-6 years on them already, and you're changing tires, you might want to consider installing new ones NOW rather than having to unmount and install in say two years. Could last longer though.
09SkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Dave and Sky guy The car is a 2006 with 3400 miles on it. I bought it last fall with 2800 miles, drove it about three weeks then put it away for the winter. My man cave is heated so I've managed to do mud guards, Curt receiver,Solo NA axle back, Fiamm horn, Venom brace, Probeam and DDM backbone, DDM cam cover in stainless, and the brushed stainless "Solstice" logo under the bonnet,stubby antenna, and the G2 red caliper paint. I will flogg the RSA's in spring for a set of Hankook ventus .
Yes, I have an owner'sanual and have bought a lot of Solstice dealer literature off ebay.
Can I just eliminate the tps in the wheels?
When I put winter tires and wheels on the winter car, I did not put the sensors in the wheels. JUst got a dash light which I covered with a piece of tape until spring. Can I do this with the Solstice or is the system more complicated? I mean just eliminate the tps entirely, as the car goes to bed in October.
If not, thanks for the heads up on the tps battery. Too much technology..guess that's why I love my 57 MGA!
Thanks in advance!
You guys(gals) are the best!
John
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

FWIW, TPMS was installed in all Kappa cars starting with model year 2008, when it was required by Federal legislation.

If your car is a 2006, it isn't equipped with TPMS.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
FWIW, TPMS was installed in all Kappa cars starting with model year 2008, when it was required by Federal legislation.

If your car is a 2006, it isn't equipped with TPMS.

He's right. You can also check your D.I.C. to see if your tire pressure is shown there for each tire. If it doesn't show up, that's another dead give away that you don't have it.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks guys! One less thing to deal with..I'll check the dic, but I don't recall seeing that info on the display..think I'm good to go..
All the best,
John
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

So in summary, if you do not have TPMS sensors, you don't need to replace them.

IMPORTANT NOTE. If your tire shop recommends you replace the non-existent TPMS sensors, under NO circumstances should you agree to do it. It could result in an unnecessary lightening of the wallet.

That is all.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.