Rev drops slowly from 1500 RPM after complete stop - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Rev drops slowly from 1500 RPM after complete stop

Not sure when exactly did this started happening, but I noticed my car would stick at 1500RPM (sometimes 1800RPM - 2000RPM) after coming to a complete stop and thrown into neutral. After being stuck for a few seconds, it'll slowly drop back to the usual level.

Checked floormats and pedals already, not stuck at all.

Only recent happenings are installing my GMPP intake, replaced cat and water pump under warranty, and battery went flat and jumpstarted after I came back from vacation. Could the jumpstart of the battery messed up a sensor or something, or the cat failed again?

2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sticking throttle actuator or pedal sender?

Some of what I know is from experience, some from listening or reading- most of it, I just make up

glake89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well not sure yet. I'm booked in to the dealer for coming Fiday, just thinking if there's anything else I can check. I'm actually thinking if I should even take out my intake... dealers love to blame this and that.

2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's normal for mine - it's an emissions thing.
Deep, steel/sand, loaded except standard radio and no smoker's; #08974
Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
WintR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintR View Post
That's normal for mine - it's an emissions thing.
Stuck at 2000RPM? doesn't sound right...

Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

The first thing I'd do is see if there are any DTCs stored.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

No CEL, but I'll scan it tonight anyways.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

One more finding... It only happens after the car is fully warmed, above 91 degrees Celsius.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Partially fixed. My intake was loose after the MAF, so part of it was disconnected. I've reseated it now, and seems to have cured it, except that now it still does it a tad bit about 1000RPM but it drops revs much more normal now. Probably because of the loose intake it was running lean for a bit, the computer needs to relearn?

I hope I didn't do any damage... gonna get an oil change ASAP to get whatever crap it sucked in this period out (due for one anyways).

Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Stuck at 2000RPM? doesn't sound right...
If I take it out of gear while moving, or as soon as stopped, it hangs above idle a few seconds. The computer holds the throttle open a bit while the car is moving, to minimize emissions when you take your foot off the pedal. It takes a second or two for it to drop all the way to closed-throttle idle.
Leaking air around the MAF will confuse the computer, though, making it hold the throttle open more, because it doesn't know about the extra air flow. Now you've corrected that problem, it will hunt for the new setting a while.
Deep, steel/sand, loaded except standard radio and no smoker's; #08974
Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
WintR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Makes sense. I'll continue to monitor it for a few days. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Update... still does 2K, but only on rare occasions where I am stuck in traffic. What worries me is that it actually rev itself up to that much.

I wonder if the battery jump really did mess up the PCM and I should do a battery disconnect.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just tried scanning, no codes. Couldn't try a battery pull, socket won't reach the neg terminal.

Gonna give it another try for another week to see if the blipping goes away.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Just tried scanning, no codes. Couldn't try a battery pull, socket won't reach the neg terminal.

Gonna give it another try for another week to see if the blipping goes away.
You can easily disconnect the battery at the underhood fuse box (under the red cap). You don't have to pull the actual battery cable.

Or easier still, if just resetting codes, pull the ECM fuses How To Remove The Ecu .
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Update... still does 2K, but only on rare occasions where I am stuck in traffic. What worries me is that it actually rev itself up to that much.

I wonder if the battery jump really did mess up the PCM and I should do a battery disconnect.
One area to look at is the throttle shaft, one end has the actuator and bushing, the other end has a sealed bearing with a small end cap like a freeze plug. Any resistance in the bearing can cause the throttle from closing fully when the throttle pedal is released, thus causing a slow drop in RPM after the throttle pedal is released just enough where the ECM cannot detect a code from the throttle actuator.

Remove the throttle assy from the intake manifold. Slowly open the throttle blade and release it watching it close, see how far the blade closes should close completely without any resistance, if there is any slight resistance in the throttle blade from closing all the way there is a good possibility that the bearing is dried out of grease and possibly corroded from moisture.
You can drill a small 1/8 in. hole in the plug and add some type of lubricant to the bearing and seal it with a dab of silicone.

I had the same situation before and in time has progressively worsened to the point my car went into limp mode.
I dismantled the Old assembly for investigation and found that the bearing was 50% corroded out.

Hope this helps.

Gmpp kit, Gm CAI
MagnaFlow 3" Exhaust
AEM methanol
Synapse BOV
N.O.S ?
tincharriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.