Service Tire Monitor? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Service Tire Monitor?

I have a "Ser Tire Monitor" displayed and my tire pressure indications are blank. Tires are fine. Does this require maintenance by a dealer or is this something that I can perform? Computer reboot? Anyone have this before?
Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpilot View Post
I have a "Ser Tire Monitor" displayed and my tire pressure indications are blank. Tires are fine. Does this require maintenance by a dealer or is this something that I can perform? Computer reboot? Anyone have this before?
Thanks,
Steve
It may be the RCDLR which is located behind the rear panel behind the seats. It handles communications between the key fob remote controls and the wheel sensors. It may just need to be reprogrammed, see your owner's manual for instructions. If you can't reprogram the tire monitors, it'll probably mean a trip to the dealer.

Good luck!

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Does the car have a model year? Did they all go out at once?
Essayons likes this.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
FWIW, Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems became mandatory for the 2008 model year.

1st 1K - #741
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it is a 2008. Thx
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Did anything unusual happen at the time the TPMS stopped working? Does everything else work now?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:51 PM

Early 2008 cars (which is why I inquired about the model year) would lose the TPMS system if the battery was disconnected and had to be reprogrammed by the dealer to restore that function. I suspect by now that battery had been disconnected at some point.

It DID work previously?

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Born April 30, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:09 PM

I had forgotten that. Wasn't that fixable by a re-flash?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I had forgotten that. Wasn't that fixable by a re-flash?
It was. Are they all dead? if only a few wheels not reading could be a dead TPMS battery. Did anything change from when it used to work?

Born April 30, 2008

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Yes, everything else works, that is all of the other data readouts are functioning.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Yes, you are correct. The battery was replaced by the seller just before I bought the car. So you say a trip to the dealer is required to reboot?
Thx
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
It was. Are they all dead? if only a few wheels not reading could be a dead TPMS battery. Did anything change from when it used to work?
I accepted the car with the Serv Tire Monitor at the time I bought it hoping it was a simple problem. Wish I had negotiated that it be fixed by the seller.
Anyhow, so the TPMS has it's own battery? Any idea where it is located. If I knew I would try checking it and replacing it.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
Early 2008 cars (which is why I inquired about the model year) would lose the TPMS system if the battery was disconnected and had to be reprogrammed by the dealer to restore that function. I suspect by now that battery had been disconnected at some point.

It DID work previously?
Considering that it would have to be rebooted the a dealer, would a GM dealership be able to do so?
Thx
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:31 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
I accepted the car with the Serv Tire Monitor at the time I bought it hoping it was a simple problem. Wish I had negotiated that it be fixed by the seller.
Anyhow, so the TPMS has it's own battery? Any idea where it is located. If I knew I would try checking it and replacing it.
Quote:
Considering that it would have to be rebooted the a dealer, would a GM dealership be able to do so?
Thx
Each of the TPMS senders, one in each wheel/tire combo, total of 4, has it's own built-in battery. All 4 communicate with the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver). In some RCDLRs, when there is a power loss, it will forget the Tire Pressure senders.

If the key fobs are working, there is another possibility, and that is that the prior owner for some reason removed the tire pressure sensors from the tires, so that should also be checked.

Any GM dealership should be able to check this out, but get a quote before they do the work, it could get expensive.

YMMV

1st 1K - #741
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:02 AM

TPMS reboot

Quote:
Thanks,
Steve

HI. Had a similar problem with my 2009 G8/GT. I had to have the dealer use their special tool to reset the monitors. It took about 5 minutes and cost me nothing. I confess that I know the service manager and the owner of the Chevy dealership, so that probably helped. However, barring any major problem, the reset is an easy fix by the dealer and (if the problem is like the one I had) should cost very little.

grandpop07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode