While trying to put together a visual walkthrough on how to replace the turn-signal switch, I ended up shorting out my base/NA Solstice. For some reason GM put the 4-lead ignition wiring right across where a screw travels to hold the bottom steering column cover. It was dark outside and everything was pretty status quo, so it turned out to just be a very dumb mistake.
- Turned key in ignition
- Heard a 'pop'
- "Door open" rear-view and console lights immediately shut off
- Lights in cabin began behaving unpredictably as if I had driven through a lake
After an inspection, I noticed that the ignition fuse in the BCM blew. Since that's 2 amp and I didn't want to chance anything, I mail ordered 2 amp fuses (no one in town had these) and swapped it out. Still had problems. I also unhooked all aftermarket items which need power (Aeroforce gauges and shift light). Same problem.
I've been driving around in my truck for the past few weeks, so an example from today after hooking the battery back up:
Turned on car, nothing, but saw anti-theft light. After a while, the rear-view mirror lights came on since the door was open and the chimes began to sound since the key was in the ignition. Turned the wiper switch on and then everything died again. Unhooked the battery. That's the sort of odd behavior I'm seeing.
The car refuses to start and acts unpredictably, but I'm not ready to blame the ECM yet. If anything I'm thinking either the nearby anti-theft board is toast or the BCM took a hit before the fuse blew. I'm more inclined to blame the former since it's unprotectedly hooked to the single wire that was grounded, but plan to pull the BCM.
For reference and for others who are interested, here are some photos of the antitheft setup. Notice the copper wire antenna that's wrapped around the ignition cylinder keyhole which triggers/identifies the chip in our keys (click for larger imags).
^ Anti-theft assembly
^ Anti-theft PCB top
^ Anti-theft PCB bottom
^ Found this image which shows how to remove the cylinder. Nearly pulled my hair out searching the web and service manuals only to find this one by chance.
I'll keep this thread updated with photos as things progress. I realize that a GM TechII and $$$ might be involved, but at least I get a first crack at it.