So much for resale of the Solstice - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #31 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I totally concur. I respect Mitch, but totally disagree with his postings on this subject, and this subject alone. He has consistently posted his belief in what edmunds or other valuation sites suggest, but they are not reality based. Try selling your Solstice and see what you are offered. If you get an offer, that is. Further, your logic Scootch, a brand new 07 leftover with a full 7 year warranty and other perks versus a used base is a no brainer. And others are gonna feel the exact same way, unless it is a lower serial number 1st 1K for Authenticity only. Sadly, some here feel that this car was their investment nestegg, as discussed to infinity and beyond this past year. That, is sad commentary. But, looking at it for what it is worth, now is the time to PURCHASE a new or used Sol because of the incentives, the BUYERS MARKET, and the fact they there seem to be readily available. That last part says a lot.
So I would guess these figures are bogus also, from KBB. If you had bought an 06 Miata Mx5 you would have seen a KBB loss of about $4,400. An 06 Crossfire you would have taken an $11,000 hit.

Are there any figures we can believe from KBB and NADA?

Mitch
MITCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCH View Post
Amazing that a car built back in the middle of 2005 is worth $21,140. in January of 2008! only $360 less than it's original cost!

When was the last time anyone owned a "new" American car that could make that claim?

2006 Pontiac Solstice Convertible 2D

Private Party Value 7,200 miles. 01/05/2008
ZIP Code

Excellent Outstanding condition, top 5%
$21,140

If you had bought an 06 Miata Mx5 you would have seen a KBB loss of about $4,400. An 06 Crossfire you would have taken an $11,000 hit.$$$$ Big losses on most cars.

We are very fortunate that our Solstice is so well loved, it really holds it's value
Kelley Blue Book Classifieds™
Reach millions of shoppers on kbb.com, AutoTrader.com, and other popular sites.

Mitch
When I traded my 06 NA in for the GXP the dealer told me KBB was $19,800, but he would give me $19,000. Yours may list for 21 but you'll never get that from a dealer. Not when you can spend 2 or 3 grand more a pick up a brand new one. Even though yours was only used on Sunday and never driven over 40 MPH.
#5520 3 May 06,
Aggresive, Ebony everything but Leather, Onstar & Monsoon
MODS: CAI & Iluminated Wind Restrictor. stuby antenna, racing pedals. SOLD 28K on the odometer.

31 Oct 07, 08 Brazen GXP, Everything but red stiching and turn by turn nav.
unclefester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

one point

In my car buying experience, new and used, the price quoted by the dealer is usually less than the price I write on the check. The real question is, "Who has bought a used Sol lately, and how much did you pay?"

Any answers?

Backstage

PS I'd not part with 909 for even big bucks, but that's beside the point
Backstage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 01:24 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
So I would guess these figures are bogus also, from KBB. If you had bought an 06 Miata Mx5 you would have seen a KBB loss of about $4,400. An 06 Crossfire you would have taken an $11,000 hit.

Are there any figures we can believe from KBB and NADA?

Mitch
Mitch, I do not know anything about the resale or buying market of used or new MX-5s or Crossfires. Neither vehicle has ever interested me. For that reason, and that reason alone, I do not know if the figures from KBB, Nada, Edmunds, or others are erroneous or if they are truly indicative of the market. What I do know, is traditionally, the Miata has had reasonable demand on the used car market and this has historically translated into healthy resale value. Again, this is historically and BEFORE GMs introduction of the game-changing Kappa twins.

I ask honestly, try selling your Sol at that price you quote from KBB and see if you get offers. You won't at the asking price. Not baserd upon what I am seeing of GXPs in the 07 and 08 used models versus new.
Solstice GXP picked up 10/13/2006. Triple black Mysterious, Darkside, Ebony leather with red stitching. All Options, but no spoiler. 5 speed chrome wheels, XM, OnStar, sport metallic pedals everything but the blonde salesgirl...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #35 (permalink)

Ugh. I guess this means more and more Sols will be falling into the hands of irresponsible and stupid teenagers before we know it.

My Mods@The Mod Thread
XplosivePlushToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #36 (permalink)

Price on convertibles always drops in the winter, and rise in the spring/summer
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
Critterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
Price on convertibles always drops in the winter, and rise in the spring/summer
sales always suffer when the top stays up
Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM   #38 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to duckSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave clancy View Post
sales always suffer when the top stays up
Very true and if anyone is considering buying now, STOP!

Wait untill this time next year. We are headed for an economic downturn maybe even a recession. I won't say it will be the worst in my lifetime of 51 years, but I truly think it will be bad.
Good things come to those who wait, "patience grasshopper."
Bank this and wait untill things get bad and cheap, then be a good citizen and spend like a drunken sailor to bring us back from the brink of depression.
This timeline is after te election when the economy and used car prices like the Solstice have really gone to the dumper.
By then I should have the wife talked into stripes for our worthless loaded 07 Solstice and the Kubota will be paid for.

2012 Summer Solstice in the Land of Sky

duckSol's Mods revised 12/21/2008

duckSols Mods revised 9-4-09

Transformer SLY

"Okolemaluna"
duckSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #39 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Mitch, I do not know anything about the resale or buying market of used or new MX-5s or Crossfires. Neither vehicle has ever interested me. For that reason, and that reason alone, I do not know if the figures from KBB, Nada, Edmunds, or others are erroneous or if they are truly indicative of the market. What I do know, is traditionally, the Miata has had reasonable demand on the used car market and this has historically translated into healthy resale value. Again, this is historically and BEFORE GMs introduction of the game-changing Kappa twins.

I ask honestly, try selling your Sol at that price you quote from KBB and see if you get offers. You won't at the asking price. Not baserd upon what I am seeing of GXPs in the 07 and 08 used models versus new.
Stevie, I'm just asking one simple question. Are the re-sale values of the PT Cruiser, Miata, Stratus, and mostly every other car on KBB and NADA inflated also, It sure looks like they have tanked pretty bad over the last 27 months?

Are you saying they just haven't caught up with our beloved Solstice? I will never sell my Pristine "Christine"

Maybe they are giving it more credit then it's due? I personally believe when warm weather hits Mooseport, it will be worth what is reflected by KBB and NADA at the time.

Mitch

Last edited by MITCH; 01-18-2008 at 10:52 AM.
MITCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #40 (permalink)
PAO

Send a message via Yahoo to PAO
what a document or database states an object may be worth, doesnt necesarrily reflect what the market will bear or what a dealer of the object will pay.....being a avid coin collector, we have what is called a grey sheet...which reflects the value of a coin, however any reputable dealer will probably only purchase that coin from you for 70-80% of that grey sheet value if you are lucky....certainly you may be able to sell the coin independently for more but that is seldom the case for an educated collector....

the same can be said for used car values, unless its a true collector car....which our solstice isnt....and probably never will be.......

and just for comparision....did a KBB for our car which is fully loaded less Onstar, but with Mitch's mileage......for our area code

Trade In Value:
Excellent
$19,350

Good
$18,260

Fair
$16,365

Private Party Sell:

Excellent
$21,610

Good
$20,400

Fair
$18,825

a dealership will never offer Excellent condition on any car, and we paid MSRP at $25,075 for our car......
VIN #4744, Cool, Deposit 5-28-05, Delivery 12-10-05, Traded 12-18-10
VA/MD/DC Solstice Club

2006 Nationals Kansas City, KS
2007 Nationals Nashville, TN
2007 TOTD
2008 TOTD
2008 SE Regional Lexington, KY
2009 SE Regional Myrtle Beach, SC
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NASSOA
Founding Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community
Other Cars: 04 Chevy Malibu Maxx, 09 Cadillac CTS, 11 Subaru Outback

Last edited by PAO; 01-18-2008 at 11:34 AM.
PAO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #41 (permalink)

Heck, most dealerships I have been to don't want to give the "good" price let alone the excellent value. Even if the car looks like it belongs on the showroom floor, they will give you every excuse in the book why they will only give you the fair value. I have walked away from deals with a car in excellence condition when they tried offering fair value and I was not stopped.

Greg

Go Naked
GregGXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #42 (permalink)

Hello and welcome to the real world. Something we Earthling's...well call Earth. Ice tea's been invented as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #43 (permalink)

That's the point, but thanks for clarifying...

Greg

Go Naked
GregGXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #44 (permalink)

You are welcome and I see you are new...welcome aborad! Stick around for a little while, this will soon come up again, much like compariosns to the Corvette
Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Stevie, I'm just asking one simple question. Are the re-sale values of the PT Cruiser, Miata, Stratus, and mostly every other car on KBB and NADA inflated also, It sure looks like they have tanked pretty bad over the last 27 months?

Are you saying they just haven't caught up with our beloved Solstice? I will never sell my Pristine "Christine"

Maybe they are giving it more credit then it's due? I personally believe when warm weather hits Mooseport, it will be worth what is reflected by KBB and NADA at the time.

Mitch
No, Mitch, I cannot answer that simple questions because I do not own a PT Cruiser, Miata or Stratus, but I do own a Solstice GXP. Since, I do not own those cars, haven't followed them in the new or used car arena, and I am not interested in those cars, I cannot offer an informed opinion of what their resale value is. Different with the Solstice, since I own one, since I like what I own, since I see them at auction more and more the last year, and since my getting an 08 or 09 model if I want one would depend on what my 07 was fetching at auction or private sale. So, I follow the numbers, Mitch. Like I have said, I respect your opinion on this---I just totally disagree with the quotes you make of how little your car has lost in value by your quoting of KBB or NADA values. That is it. Until you or I are ready to trade, or sell our Solstices, it really is a moot argument. It will be a good one for each of us on the day of sale or trade, won't it???
Solstice GXP picked up 10/13/2006. Triple black Mysterious, Darkside, Ebony leather with red stitching. All Options, but no spoiler. 5 speed chrome wheels, XM, OnStar, sport metallic pedals everything but the blonde salesgirl...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.