solstice lug nut torque/ diff vent - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

solstice lug nut torque/ diff vent

Hello all-
I'm ready to do the G2 caliper paint..what's the torque for the lug nuts?
Also, while my muffler is off, I thought I would replace the diff plastic vent.
Does it pop or screw out? Is this part (metal replacement) generic or is it a dealer item only?
Thanks in advance..I searched the threads for this info on vents ,but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
John
jcoryea1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

100 ft. pds is the recommendation, but most go somewhere between 85 and 95 ft.lbs.
omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by omw41 View Post
100 ft. pds is the recommendation, but most go somewhere between 85 and 95 ft.lbs.

100 is the Specification, why would anyone change it?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info..my torque wrench said @90 when removing one lug..just wanted to be sure.
JC
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

On the differential vent: As far as I remember it is a metal gravity cap vent. Order another one. Take the cap off of the OEM that is already installed, thus leaving just a hollow pipe. Attach a piece of fuel hose to that pipe. Run the hose up as high as you can get it. I have mine terminating all the way up next to the fuel tank, just below the trunk. Install the new vent at the end of the hose. Make sure the cap is standing vertical, so that the gravity cap is free to move up and down.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks GS-
So are you saying just to pull up on the top of the vent,like it's a press fit? On my MGA, it's a screw in . Any part # for the vent? Are they available at a parts store or only a dealership?
John
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolNut View Post
100 is the Specification, why would anyone change it?

I'm just going by what I have read here on the forum. I did my rims and rotation this weekend. 100 does seems awful tight on my beam type torque wrench. My biceps got a workout. I did set it at 100 but I also cringed regarding the broken stud posts I have read.

Last edited by omw41; 01-06-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoryea1 View Post
Hello all-
I'm ready to do the G2 caliper paint..what's the torque for the lug nuts?
Also, while my muffler is off, I thought I would replace the diff plastic vent.
Does it pop or screw out? Is this part (metal replacement) generic or is it a dealer item only?
Thanks in advance..I searched the threads for this info on vents ,but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.
John
Whatever you decided to set the lug torque at, remember to recheck it after about 50-100 miles of driving.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoryea1 View Post
Thanks GS-
So are you saying just to pull up on the top of the vent,like it's a press fit? On my MGA, it's a screw in . Any part # for the vent? Are they available at a parts store or only a dealership?
John
If I remember correctly, it is just a pressed in fitting. And you can remove the gravity cap from the top of the vent with a little effort. After that is removed, the remaining tube makes a good attachment point for the extension hose.

Sorry, I don't remember the part number, but it is a standard GM part. That vent tube is probably used on a lot of different GM rear differentials.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omw41 View Post
I'm just going by what I have read here on the forum. I did my rims and rotation this weekend. 100 does seems awful tight on my beam type torque wrench. My biceps got a workout. I did set it at 100 but I also cringed regarding the broken stud posts I have read.
The 100 lb spec is correct. I have changed back and forth from summer to winter rims for three seasons now and have never had an issue. Not to mention the numerous tire rotations by service as part of the service contract. And the service guys are definitely torquing to 100 as well, because I always recheck the torque after a day of driving and it was always set to 100 by service.

As someone that has driven hotrods all of my life: I can tell you that broken lugs are typically a result of multiple burn outs more often than torquing issues.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.