top ripping/pinching fix - Page 12 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
Note that, as posted earlier, the tabs are only part of the solution. You will also need to regularly lubricate with di-electric silcone grease or it will continue to pinch.

Also, check fabric where, when the top is up, it crosses the corner from the trunk to the passenger compartment. I have found mine fraying there. Since this is not visible, black duct tape has served will to stop the fraying there.
This is a nice post with info on where to apply the silicone and shows what the tab looks like: Convertible Top Material Pinching at Rear Weatherstrip When Closing

2008 Solstice GXP, Aggressive

1987 Fiero GT, Medium Red Metallic
2008 G8 GT Magnetic Gray Metallic

1988 - 2006 - The 18 year dry spell between 2-seat Pontiac Excitement was finally over... RIP Pontiac 1926 - 2010
FieroVin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgronk View Post
I have to get mine fixed as well before spring. Let me know if you find a good source for the nylon.
I got on line and found this place called Hamilton Plastic Fabricators, 347 Dosco Drive, Stoney Creek, about 2 miles from my office in Stoney Creek. They gave me a chunk of 1/8" thick nylon 2 1/4 X 1 1/8" for nothing. Will take some photos of the fix if it works. Looks like I have to get some di-electric silicone grease as well plus some patching material that I can stick into place to cover the torn inside material. The carpet tape that I have been using is not good enough and the sharp piece of steel that is there now is pulling it off. This carpet tape plus the di-electric silicone grease plus the new nylon wear piece might do the trick. If this does not work, I may try this iron-on patching material that I have and use a heat gun to heat up the adhesive on the back of it. Hopefully it should stick quite nicely. Anyway, I will take as many photos as possible.

Mods: Solo Hi-Flow Cat & Mach Shorty, GMPP Tune, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM Race Backbone Brace, TSW Interlagos Wheels, 245mm F, 275mm R, H&R Sport springs lowering kit, RKSport ram air hood, Cobalt Spoiler, Dual horns, Illuminated Windrestrictor, Red calipers, Night Raider 3rd brake light, Window tint, Wood grain dash kit, Fuse box cover, Reversing detectors, HID headlights, Stainless Steel grill, Front mud guards, DDM twin cup holder centre console.
topdowneh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #168 (permalink)

I was able to remove the steel tab that was digging into the fabric and tearing it. This tab is surrounded in rubber except for the sharp end (oposite end from the screw) that was sticking out and bent up which made it grab the fabric even more. I had to cut the rubber around it to remove it. It is not going back in. Instead, I plan on replacing it with the home made nylon tab. See photos below:

Will continue on with photos of the installation, fabric re-enforcement, di-electric grease lubrication, etc. Waiting for decent weather.

Mods: Solo Hi-Flow Cat & Mach Shorty, GMPP Tune, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM Race Backbone Brace, TSW Interlagos Wheels, 245mm F, 275mm R, H&R Sport springs lowering kit, RKSport ram air hood, Cobalt Spoiler, Dual horns, Illuminated Windrestrictor, Red calipers, Night Raider 3rd brake light, Window tint, Wood grain dash kit, Fuse box cover, Reversing detectors, HID headlights, Stainless Steel grill, Front mud guards, DDM twin cup holder centre console.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #169 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Thanks for doing this

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #170 (permalink)

Crap, another problem to deal with! I wish I could just drive the car without having to be paranoid about fixes. Where is this said tab? I did not find any pictures and would like to check if my car has the plastic tabs or if I will have to sort this out before the top is damaged. Thanks

Parts for Sale -> http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...trictor-87330/

2008 Mysterious Solstice GXP- 40,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, Gmpp intake, Magnaflow Catback, 18" Vauxhall VXR wheels, B&G springs, h1 projector retrofit, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, jvc touchscreen, jpm stainless shifter, leather wrapped and stitched center console.
silverfox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #171 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Be calm grasshopper

All will be revealed in time

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox90 View Post
Crap, another problem to deal with! I wish I could just drive the car without having to be paranoid about fixes. Where is this said tab? I did not find any pictures and would like to check if my car has the plastic tabs or if I will have to sort this out before the top is damaged. Thanks
I have yet to do the passenger side so I will take photos of exactly where this tab is while it is still in place before I unscrew it and cut it out. To see it, the top should be partially open. If this steel tab was not bent and sticking up, I would not be removing it, but as is, it must be cut out and removed. Hopefully, I will be able to take a photo of the bend that has occurred due to catching on the fabric which makes it dig in even more.
If you look close enough there are photos in this thread or linked to this thread of this tab location (photo in post #45). I had trouble finding one too but they are there. Another photo I saw (first photo in post 51) shows this steel tab in perfect condition installed with the screw removed that holds it down. This tab appears to be in perfect condition (not bent) and is under a thin layer of soft rubber which hides it. Anyway, when I start the passenger side of the top, I will take as many photos as possible to show the location, problem and corrective action if it works.

We (the grasshoppers) should all take Rob's advice regarding patience. lol

Old 02-28-2013, 05:26 AM   #173 (permalink)

lol! I read about this issue on the forum last spring and bent my tabs back into position, but haven't replaced them yet. Probably a good time to do it. In the mean time we'd start to close the lid halfway and then we'd tuck the fabric over the tabs at the joint to keep it from catching.

The rubber over steel was not a good idea. The tackiness of the rubber would cause it to stick against the fabric rather than slide. That accelerates the wear until the steel is exposed then that digs into the fabric, eventually bending it upward.

As with most things on the car I start out concerned about how complicated it is to remedy then start to develop a comfort level. Like popping the boomerang off to check the HVAC switches - ended up being no big deal at all.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdowneh View Post
I was able to remove the steel tab that was digging into the fabric and tearing it. This tab is surrounded in rubber except for the sharp end (oposite end from the screw) that was sticking out and bent up which made it grab the fabric even more. I had to cut the rubber around it to remove it. It is not going back in. Instead, I plan on replacing it with the home made nylon tab. See photos below:
Just a quick point, here. The factory tab has the hole offset, so there is more width of plastic to the outer side of the hole. Yours looks like the hole is centered. Maybe it's just the photo, but are you sure this is correct?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #175 (permalink)

I see now, I must have missed those pictures because when I viewed this thread last night I was on my phone. From seeing the pictures my car has not exhibited the severe pinch as shown in post 45 and looking at post 51 I now have a better idea of the location and will look today.

This car does require much patience at times, but when everything is problem free it is the most fun car to drive! As Rob mentioned earlier, thank you for doing this research for a potential fix and I look forward to seeing the outcome. It's great to be apart of a community where the members share the same enthusiasm for these cars and go through such lengths to help others.

2008 Mysterious Solstice GXP- 40,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, Gmpp intake, Magnaflow Catback, 18" Vauxhall VXR wheels, B&G springs, h1 projector retrofit, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, jvc touchscreen, jpm stainless shifter, leather wrapped and stitched center console.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #176 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdowneh View Post
I have just read all 11 pages of this thread and there is not one photo of the plastic tab. Does anyone have a good photo of it so that I can make my own out of nylon and screw it into position.
Here are the OEM fix pics right in the middle of this thread. top ripping/pinching fix
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #177 (permalink)

I checked my top and it appears the passenger side tab is plastic, but the driver side has been cut and only a sharp piece remains. I noticed the pinching effect on the driver side where the tab is missing so I need to source that piece.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox90 View Post
I checked my top and it appears the passenger side tab is plastic, but the driver side has been cut and only a sharp piece remains. I noticed the pinching effect on the driver side where the tab is missing so I need to source that piece.
I called the local dealership giving him the part numbers for the right and left plastic tabs (found them on this forum, I think in another thread) and he said both tabs have been discontinued. So that's when I decided to make my own. The weather here continues to be cold and miserable so I have not been able to get back to work on the car top.

TomatoSoup - Yes you noticed that the hole was centered on the tab in the photo. The drill bit wondered slightly while drilling so I hope it will not impact on the performance of the tab. You will notice in the photo below of the two home made tabs that the other one has the hole offset. Both tabs are more to the same size than the photo would indicate.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #179 (permalink)

Do you have those part part #'s by chance? I want to give a few places a try, if not I found a 2009 sky at a salvage yard so maybe I can take the parts off that.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #180 (permalink)

Quote from other thread:

The Wear Clips can now be ordered as seperate parts.

Wear Clip-Right Side: 19153330

Wear Clip-Left Side: 19153329

Good luck. Just because these are discontinued in Canada, does not necessarily mean they are likewise in the States.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.