Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

TPMS retrofit - parts required?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnWR 
#1 ·
What parts are required to retrofit TPMS onto a 2006? Obviously the sensors, and I'm guessing some box that sits on the CAN bus. Anything else? Has anyone done this before?

#3 · (Edited)
You would for sure need a new RCDLR, and probably a BCM, both from a car fitted with TPMS, and you might have to re-flash the ECM.

I tried to fit a fifth abbreviation in that sentence, but couldn't think of one.

Reactions: raygun
#7 ·
The instrument cluster, including the DIC is a simple display module, so it would not have to be replaced. In the service manual under "Programming the Instrument Cluster" it says: "This device requires no programming".

#8 ·
Thanks, everyone.

The car has power locks. Is the RCDLR different for cars that came with TPMS?

I'm off to find some part numbers.

#9 ·
The 2006 models had different circuitry and wiring for the remote door locks, so yes you'll need diff RCLDR, BCM and wiring between them.

I really think this conversion is way more complicated and costly for such little gain. Better to buy an aftermarket TPMS system if you really need to.

#10 ·
Wiring between the RCLDR and BCM may be GMLAN, but I haven't checked.

If you have access to all of the parts that you need, I think it would be a much nicer installation than an aftermarket system.
Who can judge how much is too much or too little for someone else?

#11 ·
Wiring between the RCLDR and BCM may be GMLAN, but I haven't checked.
The current RCLDR wiring to the BCM *IS* via GMLAN. The old (2006) unit was apparently just an logic enable signal. Given that you need a new RCLDR, and new BCM (and thus probably a new ECM) and/or some unknown amount of programming to make it all work, the cost and risk seems (to me) to far outweigh the benefit.

I know I would certainly never want to take this on.

#12 ·
The variety of systems in these cars continues to amaze me. The '07 Sky, built along side the '06 Solstice for much of a year, uses GMLAN for the RCLDR while the Solstice uses, as you said, an isolated signal line. I expected them to be more similar.

Unfortunately, you have almost succeeded in challenging me to try this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.