Trunk Deck Lift Failure - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Trunk Deck Lift Failure

As you know I am in the process of doing considerable teardown and updates to Punisher. Among the high priority tasks is addressing the problem with the trunk lid opening mechanism. Like many of you, my trunk lid does not open well due to the lack of preload on the torsion bars. There have been various attempts made over the years to address this problem but I have not seen any that are a great long term solution.

I have used “booster” springs but they ended up bending the structural rod that runs transverse to the trunk in front of the hinges. And the springs wear out rather quickly. It’s just not a great solution.

I saw a post back in 2007? Where an owner pulled the rear bumper cover and installed spacers to increase the preload on the torsion bars in an attempt to get his trunk to open fully.

I am looking for your suggestions. I am pulling the bumper cover and am planning on de-installing the existing torsion bars and using a BFB to increase the preload. If anyone has any ideas on how to better accomplish this objective, I would very much like to learn them

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting, Rob. My trunk opens fine with the addition of just one spring (and no rod bending).

Have you ever replaced the torsion springs? Mebbe they just done wore out?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have not. That is one thing I am going to find out.

I have a couple of spares . . . I know its a shocking surprise.

I am planning on swapping out the springs and seeing what the result is. Then I am planning on bending the current springs to increase the preload and see how difficult that process is and how effective the end result may be.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ditto, used just one. However, I think the key is long-term & with no structural rod bending. Could a gas strut type system be used or modified to work in conjunction with the OEM set up? The only reason I used one spring was due to the rear bonnet barely popping up, and with two I was concerned the bonnet panel or brackets would/could possible start warping over time. Even with one spring it only pops up several inches. But that is more than enough to raise the rear bonnet the rest of the way manually.

Last edited by ChopTop; 12-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I actually contacted a manufacturer of rear gate lifts and asked about the possibility of adapting an existing design to fit our needs but they basically said it was too hard.

I dont have any trouble getting the trunk to pop open, but it settles down to almost closed. I have to lift it up manually and then it falls back down again 90% of the time. It means that to put the top down, I have to pop the trunk, get into the car, release the top latch, then get out of the car, lift the trunk to get the kappa blanket out of the trunk, then while I am spreading the blanket over the top, the trunk falls to almost closed again. Then I have to lift the trunk lid while moving the top into the trunk. I then always have to align the blanket, while holding the trunk open with my sholder. Then I have to walk around to the other side of the trunk and adjust the blanket and press the top down against the stops. I have to hold the trunk open while manipulating the top and while walking around the car.

But worse is when at a show if I want to display with the trunk open I have to use a block of wood to hold it in the verticle position. Which is uncool.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, definitely sounds like sad springs.

By way of comparison, mine (with the one coil spring addition) opens to about 45deg. Still have to help it up to actually lift the roof out, but it will stay up for a while before slowly sagging back to ~45 deg again.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like a mechanical engineer might be able to come up with or fab an idea? I Google/Images and see a couple images where the gas strut is attached right to the trunk bracket, however because Kappa bonnets opens in reverse I'm not sure where it would be advisable to attach a gas strut.

Also, tried car hood prop but they all appear to be the same variation of a broom handle, makes me wonder is a static type OEM hood prop rod could be utilized?
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

How about this..............

Solstice Trunk Mod - 2 1/2 inch Spring - YouTube
1 of 2
TIRESHREDDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

I bought a few springs of various lengths for one that would work well. The first set I tried were not thick gauged enough, and the trunk lid eventually stretched out those springs.

The second set was just right. I have only 1 installed on the driver side.

I wrapped the bar with a small split piece of rubber tubing, then a little electrical tape just to make sure it wouldn't come off.

Seems to work ok for me. And as you can see, it definitely gets the lid up and holds it there. But perhaps that's because my additional spring is working in conjunction with a functioning tension rod system. Perhaps your tension rod system is damaged/worn, etc?

But sounds like you've found a professional solution to this problem. If you go that route, I'm sure there will be others interested in it.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIRESHREDDER View Post
Yes, I actually did that. If the springs are strong enough to lift the lid they will over time deform the rod. Mine was obviously deformed after six months. And I dont like that solution. I still have springs there and they do help but they look like shade tree engineering rather than a good solution.

Like my dad used to call a Cresent adjustable wrench an Oklahoma socket set.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Yes, I actually did that. If the springs are strong enough to lift the lid they will over time deform the rod. Mine was obviously deformed after six months. And I dont like that solution. I still have springs there and they do help but they look like shade tree engineering rather than a good solution.

Like my dad used to call a Cresent adjustable wrench an Oklahoma socket set.
I wonder why yours was bending the rod? Was it maybe because the tension rod system has already failed so the additional springs were doing all the lifting, thus bending that rod? Or the springs you used were to short?

I've had mine for 3+ years now, and that rod is still entirely straight. I can take a picture to highlight it, but you can tell in the pic that rod isn't bent.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to MomsSol
Since this is a family forum and young children may view content. The thread title has been changed.

Thank you.

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
MomsSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
It means that to put the top down, I have to pop the trunk, get into the car, release the top latch, then get out of the car, lift the trunk to get the kappa blanket out of the trunk, then while I am spreading the blanket over the top, the trunk falls to almost closed again. Then I have to lift the trunk lid while moving the top into the trunk. I then always have to align the blanket, while holding the trunk open with my sholder. Then I have to walk around to the other side of the trunk and adjust the blanket and press the top down against the stops. I have to hold the trunk open while manipulating the top and while walking around the car.

Is the Kappa blanket a functional piece or just a blanket?
DDMWorks Stage II SuperCharged and Trifecta Tuned, DDMWorks Pro-beam, DDMWorks Race Backbone, DDMWorks Coil Cover, Solo Performance SQR-2 Exhaust, Norms Rear Diffuser, Eibach Pro-Kit, MRZ Performance Billet Engine Bay and Trunk lid Covers, Kappashield, Lil' Chromies, Opel GT Antenna
scottydel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
Since this is a family forum and young children may view content. The thread title has been changed.

Thank you.
Really? If young children knew the double-entendre, then there would be no need to change the title anyway - it's too late. If they don't then it doesn't matter. Sometimes PC goes a bit far... just sayin'.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

But worse is when at a show if I want to display with the trunk open I have to use a block of wood to hold it in the verticle position. Which is uncool.
I think you need a kickstand placed so as to not be seen during shows....
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.