Weird noise in the engine bay? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Weird noise in the engine bay?

Alright here goes my best effort to explain this, So any time my engine is started cold (Engine temp around 70 degrees F or lower) I will let it warm up to about 130 Degrees F Thats when the idle returns to normal as it idles a little higher to warm the engine up. When i start to drive off if i give the engine more then 2k rpm load and its between 130-145 Degrees F it will make this horrible rattle. Kind of like that noise that bmx bikes make when you arent pedaling but so much louder. (No its not the HPFP) It goes away after the engine is past 145 Degrees F so its extremely hard to show it to a mechanic due to the fact that the car is warm by the time i get there. Has anyone had this problem before? Im starting to thing its the timing chain hitting the timing cover (god i hope not).

2007 Solstice GXP
Trifecta Tuned
Custom Welded 3 inch Exhaust
SOLO Performance 3 inch Catless DP
K04R Turbo upgrade

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
If it was the timing chain, you'd know it, and it would happen any time the engine was running - not just when it is cold.

How many miles are on the car? I assume you've checked your oil level?

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, GMPP cat-back, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted and drilled rotors, DDM braces, BR Racing coilovers, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, DDM oil catch can, Autometer boost, water and AFR gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-R HID headlights, GReddy Profec @ 13PSI, custom A-pillar gauge pod. Norm's 430 bumper, vented fenders

Currently on engine #4!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

The car has 87,000 miles on it, The dipstick indicates that the oil levels are fine aswell. I tried going to a colder plug thinking maybe it was spark knock but that did not fix it either...

2007 Solstice GXP
Trifecta Tuned
K04R Turbo upgrade

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Do you have a CAI? I see you have a K&N filter, but do you have a CAI or stock air box? If you have a CAI, its normal. Mine sounds like I have a tumbler of rocks under the hood until I get to about 140 degrees.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:55 AM

Garage
Cracked exhaust manifold?

That might explain the noise when cold, but once warmed up the manifold expands and reduces/eliminates the noise.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 AM
FJP

Weird noise in the engine bay?

Perhaps this may help...had the same issue with my Sky. Problem seem to start after I began using a non Dexos oil and a Purolator Pure One filter. Finally, went back to the ORIGINAL OEM GM filter and a Dexos Pennzoil blend oil. After that, that horrendous rattling at startup stopped. It's been two years now, and hopefully, the problem will not return. A simple solution. Dealer wanted to rip apart the engine. May not work for everyone, but perhaps worth a try if you're not already using OEM. Despite a quality filter, it was apparently restricting too much oil on startup. You can purchase both GM filter AND cap on Amazon at under $10.00.

Last edited by FJP; 02-16-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

I dont have a CAI its a stock airbox, I did however put a new turbo in recently.. I tightened the bolts to the manifold as tight as i could but maybe they arent tight enough.. Would a leak between the turbo and the exhaust manifold make that sound pre warm up?

2007 Solstice GXP
Trifecta Tuned
K04R Turbo upgrade

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:54 PM

NEVER EVER put any type of oil in a GXP but 100% synthetic!!!!!! The GXP calls for Mobil1 specifically. You can use Royal Purple, or Shell, or Quaker State, but it MUST be 100% synthetic in the GXP. You will lose your turbo in a heartbeat!!! A good friend works at the proving grounds and a tech accidentally put a blend in a new Regal....the turbo lasted about 500 miles after the oil change!!! There's a reason your oil cap says MOBIL1!!! I won't even let my local GM dealer put "bulk" synthetic in mine....I must have the MOBIL1 container when they do an oil change. I know I pay about $10 more, but it's piece of mind!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 02-16-2017 at 05:12 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Im going to try and get a video of the noise the sound only occurs under load until about 145 degrees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode