Windshield trim removal - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Windshield trim removal

Does anyone know how to remove this plastic part above the windshield? Is it difficult?

2007 Black GXP - Black Dragon
BlkDragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

pull on either end. There are two clips on each end and then two towards the middle. It should pull right off.
Spartan F8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

oh and you will have to remove the visors first. They are just connected by one bolt.
Spartan F8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

To add a bit to Spartan's response...

- Unbolt the two sunshades (1 Torx screw each)
- Unclip the two A-pillars (you may be able to get away with just unclipping the tops - the top trim is clipped into the tops of the A-pillars. You may also just need to remove one side A-pillar, then when that's free slide it out from the other side)
- Unclip the top trim.

It's easier to get off than to get back on, 'cos you have to futz with getting the edges to match up with the A-pillars when you're putting it back.

Once it IS all back together, you may have panel gaps. See this for a fix: Tip: Fix for unsightly gaps in the interior trim at the top of the windshield
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I bought a spare trim piece, ended up with 4 of them but that is another story. I had one painted then pulled the visers and the old trip panel. Replaced it with the painted one. Was very easy.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks all - I think I have decided to mount this small dvr elsewhere so I don't have to cut into any plastic.I was hoping to make a hole in the windshield trim behind the sun visor so that the dvr would sit in there and be covered by the sun visor. Originally I wanted to cut into the back of the visor so that you could slide the little mirror door and see the dvr screen but the visor isn't thick enough so that it would close properly. The dvr is 1.5 cm thick. I'm going to put it under the dash and velcro it so that I can pull it out if I need to check the alignment of the two lenses. The two lenses are separate from the dvr. I don't have to actually see the dvr when it is working - just have access to it to take out the sd card when needed or to check the lens alignment. Make sense?? Ebay DVR

Old 11-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Heh! I did something similar, but with a rear-view camera screen installed in my sun visor:

Backup Camera In Rear View Mirror Install

plus:

What did you do to your Kappa today - Part 2
Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

TomatoSoup - I really like the look of the monitor imbedded in the visor. I wish I could do something like that with that DVR. Unfortunately, the photos are gone from your first link above. Do you have any concerns about someone ripping it off when you leave the car with the top down? That is why I was thinking of putting it behind the visor in the plastic windshield surround. It would be hidden. I'm thinking now that if I just velcro in under the dashboard it will also be hidden from anyone wanting one for their own car That is not a very professional installation though. I assume you pull the visor down when you want to check your backing up. I am still trying to think of a good way to attach the lenses - one over the mirror (attached to the back of the mirror?) and the other somewhere over the license plate. Did you see the lenses on the link I gave to eBay? Any suggestions? I haven't bought the DVR yet - just thinking about how it could be hooked up before I decide on the one I want.

By the way, you can see a few photos of my car at Click here It's fairly stock.

Last edited by BlkDragon; 11-08-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos are there, but you have to join and be logged in to view.

No concerns about theft... You can't really see it when the visor is folded up. Plus I have a radar movement anti-theft warning (there's a thread for that too somewhere, but I'm not at my bookmark list right now )
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Oh wow, TS, never knew you did the screen in the visor mod. Don't know how I missed that. Slick!
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

oh - sorry. It was not your photos that had been removed. I see yours further down the page. What did you use to cut the visor? Dremmel? Nice rounded corners. The lens over the license plate looks like it is aimed down but the picture on the screen looks ok (???). Any suggestions for the lenses on that dvr? DVR on eBay

Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDragon View Post
What did you use to cut the visor? Dremmel? Nice rounded corners. The lens over the license plate looks like it is aimed down but the picture on the screen looks ok (???). Any suggestions for the lenses on that dvr? DVR on eBay
I use a multitool with the oscillating saw for the initial cuts, after that, dremel, files, sandpaper - a lot of manual tweaking

The camera over the license IS tilted down to see directly behind the bumper (for reversing). It's very wide angle so the upper edge of view is just about level.

For your camera's, your idea sounds fine. But another suggestion for the screen is to swap out the audio system for one with a screen. A lot more expensive, I know, but much easier to see and use - especially for a reversing camera.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks TS. The main reason for me to get the dvr is to record video on any driving at car meets. Record of any accident would be a bonus - unless it was my fault I don't think those radio screens will record. Also the cost is prohibitive for me.

You can see a little more comment about some measurements I've made on the Sol/Sky Parts for sale fb page S/S Facebook

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.