Windshield wiper fluid not coming out - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Platform Common Issues & Solutions
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
DRM

Windshield wiper fluid not coming out

The windshield wiper reservoir is full and when I press the button to use the windshield wiper fluid I can hear the fluid reservoir pump motor running, but no fluid is coming out.

Any ideas?
2006 Pontiac Solstice Mysterious/Steel/Sand F1K(#78) 2nd owner, purchased with 1,400 miles, traded 3/07 for GXP

My Garage
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

it could be clogged, i wouldnt know how to flush it.... but that may be the problem we just need a solution
John_Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to MomsSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
The windshield wiper reservoir is full and when I press the button to use the windshield wiper fluid I can hear the fluid reservoir pump motor running, but no fluid is coming out.

Any ideas?
How cold have your temps gotten? Did you put the fluid in or a shop?

The reason for the questions.....mine froze up in the reservoir, slush...due to the dealership's oil change shop was watering down the wiper fluid..the repair shop proved that themselves as I never put any in and I had all my maintenance dome there...needless to say, they replaced my put, a hose, and refilled the reservoir. The oil change quick shop now has the right fluild (wink wink).

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
MomsSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post

Any ideas?
Hey Derek!

I would see if it is clogged like John said and I would also check the type of washer fluid you are using. It might just be cheap and gunks things up easily.

Good luck getting it fixed and hope to see you soon!
"THE RED ROCKET"
Custom Tune

2006 Deep Solstice
"O Sol O Mio"
11/15/05 - 02/25/12
RE-TIRED
smartin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

There is also often a check valve, that prevents the fluid from running all the way back down to the reservoir tank after the pump shuts off. That check valve can fail as well. Can be a common problem on some cars.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
R&T

A quick shot of compressed air can unclogged a nozel but that usually doesn't happen since it is difficult for debris to get into the washer resevoir. If you do, make sure you turn down the regulator. You don't need a lot of pressure. You can do it from the sprayer as well if you can get to them. If it has been cold for you then let the car run for about 5-10 minutes and that will be plenty of time for it to warm up. Run the defroster as well. If these don't work then look at the check valve like mentioned above.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
How cold have your temps gotten? Did you put the fluid in or a shop?

The reason for the questions.....mine froze up in the reservoir, slush...due to the dealership's oil change shop was watering down the wiper fluid..the repair shop proved that themselves as I never put any in and I had all my maintenance dome there...needless to say, they replaced my put, a hose, and refilled the reservoir. The oil change quick shop now has the right fluild (wink wink).
Moms,

It has been a warm December here in Maryland.

I do all of the fluid changes my self. Now I had the water pump resently replaces. Not sure if that would have affected it though.
2006 Pontiac Solstice Mysterious/Steel/Sand F1K(#78) 2nd owner, purchased with 1,400 miles, traded 3/07 for GXP

My Garage
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Salgado View Post
it could be clogged, i wouldnt know how to flush it.... but that may be the problem we just need a solution
I fill the fluids and always make sure that the reservoir never gets low. Maybe a stink bug got in there...LOL

My Garage
Old 12-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin View Post
Hey Derek!

I would see if it is clogged like John said and I would also check the type of washer fluid you are using. It might just be cheap and gunks things up easily.

Good luck getting it fixed and hope to see you soon!
Hey Susan!!!

I use the Walmart brand fluid...not sure how that would clog it up, but you never know.

Thanks...Hopefully...

My Garage
Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
There is also often a check valve, that prevents the fluid from running all the way back down to the reservoir tank after the pump shuts off. That check valve can fail as well. Can be a common problem on some cars.
Crap...I hope not...I wonder if that's covered under warranty...probably not with having over 80k miles. If this is the case, I wonder if I need a new pump or just check valve...gotta check out my manual.

My Garage
Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&T View Post
A quick shot of compressed air can unclogged a nozel but that usually doesn't happen since it is difficult for debris to get into the washer resevoir. If you do, make sure you turn down the regulator. You don't need a lot of pressure. You can do it from the sprayer as well if you can get to them. If it has been cold for you then let the car run for about 5-10 minutes and that will be plenty of time for it to warm up. Run the defroster as well. If these don't work then look at the check valve like mentioned above.
Great...thanks, I will try the compressed air and see if that works.

My Garage
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
DRM

Well I finally found the problem.

I hooked up my bike tire pump to the disconnected Driver side washer fluid nozzle under the windshield wiper and blocked the Passenger side washer fluid nozzle to see if I could blow out any kind of blockage...didn't work.

So I removed the Washer Pump and disconnected the pump hose from the pump and tried to force air through that end...still blocked.

I then started to follow the pump hose all the way up under the driver side wiper and what do I find...a crease in the line. I pulled the crease out and now the air/fluid flows.

There seems to be a lot of extra pump hose in a tight area under the driver side wiper. I think over time an area of the pump hose creased under stress.

You can see the crease in the pics below.

My Garage
Old 12-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the followup report.

for posting your findings!
Nice photos clearly show the culprit.
Some great under the hood detective work.
KappaKadet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.